Semi Retirement in the DR?

bass8lbs

Jun 30, 2008
I've been to POP & area only 4 times, but have been coast-to-coast in Mexico, USA & Canada, have studied alot obout the DR and thinking of setting down anchore in Leperon. I'm not rich, having 2 divorces, put my 3 kids through college but now living alone, so am planning on liguidating my assets and buying a sportfishing boat or a trawler that I can live onboard and perhaps make some money running it.
I am preparing a trip to SD and will arange for a lawyer from DR1 to meet me to apply for Residency, cedula and any other necessary registrations & license. Then I want to travel around looking for suitable licensed charter boats and already have a couple already to see. I have an open time frame to complete my research and make a decision.
I've done alot of sportsfishing along the coasts of all 4 countries and I obviously love it; I have an inland water boat for Lakes in Ontario Canada and am a knowledgeable fisherman, although will need to learn alot more for this new venture. I hope to work with local people, create some jobs and live modestly.
I have read a great portion of this forum and thought I'd throw this out there amonst you experienced ex-patriates for a critique of my thoughts.

bart6

Aug 17, 2007
if you stay on carribbean side you will be able to have a better boating season than on the north coast.

hope you end up doing tours to cuba, there a many which would enjoy this type of charter.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The dream is a good one, but the boat thing is really really complicated around here, specially for a gringo.
As long as you check it all out thoroughly first, before actually buying a boat and just coming here in the hopes that it will work out, then you'll be ok.
Just getting the tour license will be tough enough.

I'm not saying that you can't make it happen, but do your homework first, before sinking any money into it.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Customs etc.

The dream is a good one, but the boat thing is really really complicated around here, specially for a gringo.
As long as you check it all out thoroughly first, before actually buying a boat and just coming here in the hopes that it will work out, then you'll be ok.
Just getting the tour license will be tough enough.

I'm not saying that you can't make it happen, but do your homework first, before sinking any money into it.

I have good friends in LT who are French sailors and asked why they did not try Samana with a day tripper boat or something,.. They said that customs was really complicated.. Check out with the folks in Luperon who appear to be the saltiest in the country.

bass8lbs

Jun 30, 2008
if you stay on carribbean side you will be able to have a better boating season than on the north coast. hope you end up doing tours to cuba, there a many which would enjoy this type of charter.
I have focused on Leperon because of it's hurrican safe harbour as a homegound so to speak, but over the season & the years, intend to move all around the coast. Charters from Luperon to Cuba sound like an excellant idea too and will consider it during my boat selection.

The dream is a good one, but the boat thing is really really complicated around here, specially for a gringo. As long as you check it all out thoroughly first, before actually buying a boat and just coming here in the hopes that it will work out, then you'll be ok.Just getting the tour license will be tough enough. I'm not saying that you can't make it happen, but do your homework first, before sinking any money into it.
Yes, I am on an open time frame and intend now to make several trips there now designed for research on legalities, communities and boats. I'd like to buy a boat there that is licensed & certified for chartering, perhaps an operating business. I also worry and need to develope a sense whether I will be accepted as a person/business in the region amongst the local people.

I have good friends in LT who are French sailors and asked why they did not try Samana with a day tripper boat or something,.. They said that customs was really complicated.. Check out with the folks in Luperon who appear to be the saltiest in the country.
Yes, the proprietor of the Leperon Marina and others in the areas history have impressed me as being very respectable and comfortable people to do business with. Another reason why I think I'd like to start off there. In fact, there are two baots there I am looking at.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
There is an infrequent poster on here called pelaut who you might want to contact by email or PM. Highly knowledgeable about Luperon & some 30 years experience of sailing these waters, now retired I think.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
cuba is gonna be tough. although they welcome foreign yachts with open arms arriving as a water taxi on a regular basis is not going to be allowed. if you think dominican paper work is complicated wait till you see communist paper. however there are a couple of big fishing tournaments every year that you can fish, and charge your passengers accordingly. hemingway fishing tournament comes to mind, google that and you'll find plenty of info. you will need an invite to the tourney that is not too hard to get, entry fee about 500 US. my capt. buddy won it one year with a world record dolphin, he was out of key west. then you gotta figure fuel costs, going to cuba is going to be long trip that won't be cheap fuel wise so you are looking for very big buck passengers and they don't show up on the dock everyday. realistically you are looking at 10K US per trip, fuel, pay the mate, pay yourself, depreciate the boat, maintainence. cuba is close, havana isn't and that's where the tourney is. tight lines and screaming reels to ya..........................

Yachtmaster

Jul 2, 2007
www.genesisbvi.com
I've been to POP & area only 4 times, but have been coast-to-coast in Mexico, USA & Canada, have studied alot obout the DR and thinking of setting down anchore in Leperon. I'm not rich, having 2 divorces, put my 3 kids through college but now living alone, so am planning on liguidating my assets and buying a sportfishing boat or a trawler that I can live onboard and perhaps make some money running it.
I am preparing a trip to SD and will arange for a lawyer from DR1 to meet me to apply for Residency, cedula and any other necessary registrations & license. Then I want to travel around looking for suitable licensed charter boats and already have a couple already to see. I have an open time frame to complete my research and make a decision.
I've done alot of sportsfishing along the coasts of all 4 countries and I obviously love it; I have an inland water boat for Lakes in Ontario Canada and am a knowledgeable fisherman, although will need to learn alot more for this new venture. I hope to work with local people, create some jobs and live modestly.
I have read a great portion of this forum and thought I'd throw this out there amonst you experienced ex-patriates for a critique of my thoughts.
I know of someone in Santo Domingo who has a fishing boat for sale. It is a little older and needs some work, but the price could be right. PM me if you are interested.

bass8lbs

Jun 30, 2008
Appreciating the feed back.

Man.... I can't concentrate on my current job these days.... I'm always coming here and searching the internet doing research for my dream.

bass8lbs

Jun 30, 2008
A first hand account of arriving in Luperon in one of today's papers.....
Thank you very much Lambada, that was an excellant read. It was particularily great the writer had met the author and famous sailor Van Sant. He is kinda my mentor, having read the book in the article & Tricks of the Trades' like a bible. Reading his books inspired me to make the 1st of my 4 trips so far to the DR which is changing my life style and dreams.