Building Permits

HMHDR

Jul 1, 2008
I was interested in knowing what the name of the department or agency is that I would have to go to in order to obtain a permit for construction in the Dominican Republic. Also if anyone knows the name of someone that would be great. :) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
-Michael

HMHDR

Jul 1, 2008
update

Well I was able to find the department i was looking for, but they are not answering the phones... Anyways, does anyone know if i should speak to some specifically?

Thanks again.

-Michael

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Michael, this sort of thing is best done personally. A lot of talking and hugging and seeing who knows who, that sort of thing.
Basically it is (1) the Municipality office of planning or some such, then (2) the Public Works Ministry who approve plans...

Depending on where you are thinking of building you can hire someone to do these errands for you.

HB

HMHDR

Jul 1, 2008
Thanks

Thanks for the help HB.

I definitely understand the who knows who concept, but wanted to walk in with an idea of who I am looking for. I just need to make some calls and probably walk in and take a look. Again, i appreciate the help.

Thanks
-Michael

BF1

Dec 7, 2007
www.aplatanados.com
If you are in a touristic zone, you will have to go to Tourism ministry office and get an autorization from them too, after the one from Planeamiento Urbano and before taking all your plans to Obras Publicas

Jan 5, 2006
Where are you building? Did your construction require plans from an architect/enginer? If so, he/she should take care of obtaining the necessary permits, as they should already be familiar with the people at the local ayuntamiento.

Prices for building permits are negotiable, so it's best to let someone familiar with process handle it for you. ;)

HMHDR

Jul 1, 2008
Thanks

Thanks again for all the great help.

My questions aren't so much in regards to my construction plans, but more so trying to understand the process and the order of things.

You have all been a great help.

-Michael

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com

My questions aren't so much in regards to my construction plans, but more so trying to understand the process and the order of things.

-Michael

A few cities have building codes available (E. g. Santo Domingo, in form of a book... published thru an architect's revue). Some "towns" and most large developments have their own set of rules which may differ from what the rules of the city they are attached to may be (E. g. Casa de Campo, Cap Cana etc).
On the other hand, I have yet not been able to get such concise information from the "building department" of Puerto Plata and many other smaller towns. In other words, you have to check with your town hall individually and as posted above, rely on good contacts and your "generosity".

... J-D.

lumiere987

Jul 4, 2007

-Michael

Michael, I am building single family homes in Juan Dolio and went through the gruesome process of getting construction permits. Don' t expect quick results; permit from Tourism took 3 months! and in Juan Dolio, before you can get you permit from Tourimo, you will have to shell out some $800 per bathroom for the "future" sewer hookup.

STEVE G.

Bronze
Apr 2, 2006
community.webshots.com
Michael, I am building single family homes in Juan Dolio and went through the gruesome process of getting construction permits. Don' t expect quick results; permit from Tourism took 3 months! and in Juan Dolio, before you can get you permit from Tourimo, you will have to shell out some $800 per bathroom for the "future" sewer hookup.

I heard some people still find the way to postdate the payment of '' the "future" sewer hookup '' promising to pay it later when this hookup will be actually done . BTW lumiere987 where are your single family homes are located , what part of Juan Dolio , Villas Del Mar ? You may PM me if you don't want to make it public . Just interesting ...