samana dreaming

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
On my next visit to D.R., we are going to samana. Ive heard good things and the pics make it look like true paradise. i have a few questions ; Which area in samana has the calmest beaches?,where are the good places to eat(the strip)?, Whats the best way to get there from new york city? and lastly,are 2 nights at cayo levantado worth it. Im not going to this area again and want to make the best of my visit. Im traveling with my wife and infant son and speak fluent spanish. we are going for 7 to 10 days.

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
Fly directly into Sto. Domingo and either take the commuter flight with "Take off Destinations" to El Portillo airport, or the taxi shuttle with "Take off Destinations" to Las Terrenas.

You can also fly from NYC to Puerto Rico, connect with the flight to El Catey airport and take a taxi from El Catey to Las Terrenas.

There are other ways such as the flights to Santiago and Puerto Plata, but I think that travelling with an infant, the best, shortest and easiest is what I described in the first paragraph.

The calmest beaches are in Las Terrenas.

One day is enough for Cayo Levantado.

And last, but not least, Las Terrenas also gets my vote for the best places to eat.

Where will you be staying?

Juniper

CatherineD

Sep 3, 2006
A plug for Las Galeras

I agree with everything Juniper wrote, but I would like to make a plug for Las Galeras. LT does have great food, but we are a bit quieter and Playa Rincon can not be beat.

My husband and I have a small bed and breakfast in Las Galeras, in case you are interested.

Casa Dorado :: Las Galeras

And the flights via San Juan to Catey are being cancelled in September, so they are only option through the summer.

Catherine

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
Catherine, I would like to try your Bed and Breakfast next time I go to Las Galeras.

And you are right, the flights from PR to El Catey are being cancelled in September; however, I heard that AA will start flying directly from MIA to El Catey. It would be worth it to look into it.

Juniper

CatherineD

Sep 3, 2006
AA flights from MIA to AZS

Juniper,

I read about the MIA possibility for El Caety( I think on Dominican Times). But AA was in a US paper last week talking about completely cutting service to various smaller cities around the US due to the economic crisis and Samana was on the list. So I am not holding my breath about the MIA flights. Do you have additional info on that?

I am going to send you a private message as well.

Thanks,

Catherine

caipiranha

Feb 15, 2008
Hallo kapitan75,

the most beautiful beaches on Samana you find around Las Terrenas and El Limon - Playa Bonita, Playa Cozon, El Portillo, Playa Limon, Playa Moron... Tropical dreams, you can walk along for hours. Las Galeras is also a nice place to stay, the Las Galeras beach isn?t that spectaclular, we preferred a boattrip to the Playa Rincon.

Cayo Levantado is very crowded, 1 night there should be enough.

The best hotel near Las Terrenas is the GPB El Portillo, a good 4-star-resort with a kidsclub and a flat sea where kids can snorkel around. The hotel is also wellconnected to other spots on Samana.
At the Playa Bonita/Playa Cozon you find some smaller (and cheaper) resorts.

Sorry, that I cant`t tell you about flights and bookings - I?m from Europe.

Hope, I could help you.

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
I just saw where JetBlue has inexpensive flights from JFK to SDQ (Santa Domningo)-- And we liked Las Terrenas so much on our first visit that we bought a small villa there (and return in 8 days!! :)
Susan