Eurocar Warning!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I know that there is at least one other warning on this board not to rent from Eurocar -- but the price was so tempting that I went ahead and did it....... Adventure travel at its worst...OK maybe I am having an ?ff French month or so... but non non non,,,,, these guys should not be in business. I will spare you the long saga since , honestly, it was pretty traumatic..(OK I am not hurt! I just spent a large portion of a lovely long weekend worrying about whether or not the car would start ever again) Let?s just let?s say that I was ready to write to American Express and ask them not to do business with these guys....

Papa Benito

Dec 5, 2006
They will make many attepts to ''scam'' you.

Registering for a car can easily take 1 hour. Avoid!:mad::mad:

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Sorry mountainannie to hear of your trouble with Eurocar. I have rented from them 3 times over a years period without issue until the last time. They gave me an older car, that would die at traffic lights if you had the ac on and would not start until it sat for 5 minutes or so. This happened 2 more times before I could get back to the rental place. They quickly exhanged the car for a newer one. I use National now.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Is this Europcar or is there another firm called eurocar??

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
"These guys should not be in business" is a pretty strong statement mountainannie. So far all we know is that you rented from them and had problems with the car. That has absolutely nothing to do with Europcar's competence to do business. If there is more to the story and other things happened that make you feel that way, by all means tell us about them. I've rented from them twice (STI office) with no problems whatsoever.

The company that seems to have the best reputation in the DR is National, and I have rented from them a few times also. On one of those occasions I had a radiator problem which led to a breakdown. It was an inconvenience of course, but IMHO they provided appropriate assistance, and I won't hesitate to rent from them again.

IMO, reasons to "warn" people about a business would include things like a pattern of inferior products or services, obvious incompetence, failure to provide support promised, rude or disrespectful treatment by employees and fraudulant/dishonest business practices.

CJnNJ

Aug 7, 2005
You can add Avis to the warning list. We've rented from them twice; once at Las Americas and once from their location on Abraham Lincoln in SD.

First time the car clearly needed a front end alignment. The second time the car (both were suvs) had bad wipers, was riddled with holes as if involved in a drive by (for real) ABS light came on while up in Bonao, and finally all but died on the way to the airport on the trip home. When we dropped the car off and told them what was going on the rep acknowledged the problem, but didn't seem surprised.

I'll try another agency next time. But also keep in mind, as franchisees, they may have the internationally recognized brand name, but it's a very different level of quality and service.

CJ

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Avis, Eurocar, Budget, Nelly, Thrifty are all managed and their franchises owned by the same company here in the DR.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
OK here is the fuller story

"These guys should not be in business" is a pretty strong statement mountainannie. So far all we know is that you rented from them and had problems with the car. That has absolutely nothing to do with Europcar's competence to do business. If there is more to the story and other things happened that make you feel that way, by all means tell us about them. I've rented from them twice (STI office) with no problems whatsoever.

The company that seems to have the best reputation in the DR is National, and I have rented from them a few times also. On one of those occasions I had a radiator problem which led to a breakdown. It was an inconvenience of course, but IMHO they provided appropriate assistance, and I won't hesitate to rent from them again.

IMO, reasons to "warn" people about a business would include things like a pattern of inferior products or services, obvious incompetence, failure to provide support promised, rude or disrespectful treatment by employees and fraudulant/dishonest business practices.

OK-- first car was a tiny little Chevy- silly me returned it just because the CD player didn?t work and I wanted to take a long trip to the mountains. So they were very nice and gave me a bigger car for the same price. So far so good.

Went from the Capital to the mountains of Cotui, about an hour and a half. then noticed that suddenly the gas tank was Empty. so filled up and six guys swarmed the car saying there was a hole in the tank and advised that I return to the Capital - although they said it would not leak fast with a full tank. Arrived back in the Capital - Euro switched after arguing that there was no leak that they could find but then agreed that I should not have used an entire tank to Cotui. They also agreed to give me a half day credit. They had to search a bit through their lot in the Capital which is filled with cars in need of repair - about five were out front.

Third car, off to Constanza - a day later than planned. After the full day??s drive, first hotel was full, and the car would not start til the third try. Then I found a hotel and the car would not start at all. Nor the next morning. So I called their service number (very good, they called back three times while I was waiting) and waited for 4 hours at the hotel while they sent a mechanic up from Bonao. OK- I am chillin - safe at the Hotel.

He arrived, along with another car and three Dominicans. He and the driver were sharing a bottle of whiskey. His tools - well, he tested the battery with pliers, jacked up the car (for reasons unknown),then got out some gizmo and tested the electric connectors, pressed down on one, announced that he had found the problem,, then got in and the engine started. He assured me that he had fixed the problem. I was less than reassured.(the whiskey? the lack of tools? the entourage of three people including the derelict Skoda that he had rescued on the road-- oh where oh where was my giant AAA trucker with the flatbed truck and all the bells and whistles?)

I went about my interviews (reporter) only stopped the car once and had the same trouble starting (third try) after that I just left the car running. I did not leave the hotel at night to go for dinner since I did not want to be stranded in town in the dark. Ditto the same problem with starting on the road back. Called the service center from Bonao but car started on the fourth try.

I was really shaken by it all -- this being my first experience driving in the DR being alone, etc etc etc,,,, the car had 56k miles on it.... And well,,,,

then I get back to Eurocar and they assure me that there is nothing wrong the car.

Turns out they have a computer chip gizmo that has to connect with the motor. Said I just had to sit for a while a wait. Told me that the mechanic had done nothing. Really implied that I was just a very silly idiot who did not know how to drive (which of course did nothing to calm me since,,,,,,,,, well........)

Well, I said, if you have this advanced gizmo would it not be a good thing to tell people about it when they rent? Or have some sort of written explanation about it in the contract?

I have rented cars in Mexico, Guatemala, Costa Rico, Europe, etc etc, and NEVER had such bad cars or such really quite insulting service.

That is why I said that they should not be in business.

In the end, they calmed me down, gave me a good price,after I told them that I was ready to write to American Express and tell them to pull the card from them.

I was clear with the Dominicans who were working there that I was not blaming them, that I knew that they were not responsible, that they did not own the company. I walk by their office every day - I certainly don?t want to make enemies out of neighbors and I know that they are just doing the best that they can with what they are given.

I have lived here for four years- I am pretty used to things, pretty adaptable now, but I really think that if you are the business of renting out cars to people, the least that you can do is give them a reliable vehicle and proper instructions (if you have some sort of peculiar mechanism) and perhaps not a mechanic who is drinking in front of the customer.

Too much to ask for? I think not.

OK-- my fault for taking the car at the bottom end perhaps and not the giant SUV.. but I do try to keep a small carbon foot print.

Next time I will go with National per the posters suggestion. And I will really check out the car a lot better. Or rather some sort of public transport to get where I am going and hope for a local rental - I know that they have them in Constanza although I am not sure how to get there by public transport.

I was lucky - I live here, I had the time to spend exchanging cars and waiting, and enough Spanish to feel comfortable - if I had been a tourist on a week long holiday, I would have been really freaked.

So really, I don?t think that they should be in business.

But I am still adjusting my standards down.

I do love adventure travel but I don?t think that the adventure should be the car rental!

This enough?

kmorris

Feb 20, 2006
You guys cannot answer Luperon's question, "Is this Europcar or is there another firm called eurocar??" So who did you guys rent from, or do you even know?

Kelsey

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
You guys cannot answer Luperon's question, "Is this Europcar or is there another firm called eurocar??" So who did you guys rent from, or do you even know?

Kelsey

They are too busy fighting and comparing genital size to answer a question, there seems to be an epidemic going around.

tambo'

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
i have reservations right now with Europcar for my trip later this summer....this will be my first time renting from them! picking up at SDQ. i hope i have no horror stories. i did this due to price....i hope it doesnt backfire on me. i usually rent with Budget and have had my share of problems, however, each time they took care of it professionally....maybe not so much in a timely fashion, but at least they compensated for their mechanical difficulties....
in any case i hope Europcar gives me minimal problems as i plan on driving through the countryside a lot on this trip! - J

whizzymaz

Jan 14, 2007
Europcar

If this is Europcar, we have been stung by them in another country ie Portugal where we ended up paying twice - once on the internet and again at pick up and having an awful job trying to get some sense out of them, not to mention a refund! Will certainly avoid them when we come across next week.

Looking forward to being there.
Whizzymaz

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
This may account for it all!

Avis, Eurocar, Budget, Nelly, Thrifty are all managed and their franchises owned by the same company here in the DR.

I saw that National and Avis share an office/lot here in Santo Domingo -- does that mean that they are together as well?

Is Hertz owned by someone else?

If they are all owned and managed by the same company-- there goes any advantage for "trying harder"? or am I wrong on this.

Am I right in that National appears to have the best reputation?

thanks

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I saw that National and Avis share an office/lot here in Santo Domingo -- does that mean that they are together as well?

Is Hertz owned by someone else?

If they are all owned and managed by the same company-- there goes any advantage for "trying harder"? or am I wrong on this.

Am I right in that National appears to have the best reputation?

thanks

National and Alamo are owned by the same US company.
This is why they sit side by side in the DR.

Grupo Amber or better known as Santo Domingo Motors owns the franchise here for National/Alamo.

Yes, from what I hear and see, National has the best reputation.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
I would say the best advice is to be cautious with ALL car rentals in the D.R.

It's not the same as renting in Canada/US/UK etc and renters should be aware of their responsibilities should they have an accident or if something happens to the car.

Be sure you have all the correct coverage etc to protect yourself.

I rented twice from Nelson car rental in Puerto Plata twice. First time great experience, 2nd time the car started on fire and we had to pay to have some parts replaced and the hood repainted. Next time I was there, the same white car was sitting in front of his office with a large orange flame sticker covering the damaged area. I don't think they are in business anymore or at least not in that location.

I learned my lesson the hard way and paid for my stupidity of not having the right insurance added to my rental.

Now...I just take the gua gua or motoconcho or hire a driver.

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Nelson rent a car

I rented twice from Nelson car rental in Puerto Plata twice. First time great experience, 2nd time the car started on fire and we had to pay to have some parts replaced and the hood repainted. Next time I was there, the same white car was sitting in front of his office with a large orange flame sticker covering the damaged area. I don't think they are in business anymore or at least not in that location.

Nelson has just had a spell in Fortaleza enjoying the hospitality of the San Felipe jail - say no more!!!

:ermm:

Rio

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Nelson has just had a spell in Fortaleza enjoying the hospitality of the San Felipe jail - say no more!!!

:ermm:

Rio

Too funny!

Thanks for the update! I had often wondered what happened to that place hahaha

It just proves the point more...

Sangria

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I would say the best advice is to be cautious with ALL car rentals in the D.R.

It's not the same as renting in Canada/US/UK etc and renters should be aware of their responsibilities should they have an accident or if something happens to the car.

Be sure you have all the correct coverage etc to protect yourself.

I learned my lesson the hard way and paid for my stupidity of not having the right insurance added to my rental.

Now...I just take the gua gua or motoconcho or hire a driver.

Not all rental companies are equal, as many already know.

Shopping for price is a fools game in the DR, you might save US$10-15 per day on a rental, but you could pay severely on the back end for this.

My experience is with National and they are very professional, have great staff and a large modern fleet of cars.

Feb 7, 2007
National and Alamo are owned by the same US company.
This is why they sit side by side in the DR.

Grupo Amber or better known as Santo Domingo Motors owns the franchise here for National/Alamo.

Yes, from what I hear and see, National has the best reputation.

National and Alamo IS the same company everywhere, even within the USA
(Vanguard Car Rental Inc.)