candle in the wind

elton

My thread snapped!
Jul 1, 2008
I'm looking for heart-warming stories where people received help from an unexpected source or just something warm and fluffy that made you happy

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
There are many special people on here that have made this forum, interseting & exciting..i have opened my eyes to a new world...not just the powdered sugary sands of Punta Cana...(which i love and will always love)-to the expats your stories are facitinating...i enjoy hearing about your everyday life, you share so much knowledge. I'm sure DR is happy to have each and every one of you. How many expats are there in DR?

And to the visitors and tourists that have the DR bug...such as myself-your stories are just as exciting, i learn something new everyday!!

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
We were invited to dine with a local Dominican family today along with some friends of theirs who are visiting DR for 3 weeks from Scotland. They served a wonderful lunch, preceeded by freshly prepared chinolla, orange and lemon juice, treated us like 'royalty', made us completely welcome and the 3 young children of the family were happy, polite, totally well behaved and happily joined in with all the conversation. It was delightful but it concerns me a little that the meal they served us was probably in excess of a whole week's wages for that family but it was true Dominican hospitality and it was wonderful to see their pride.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
About 2 years ago I stopped at an ATM machine in Puerto Plata, withdrew some pesos and oblivously drove away, leaving my card in the machine. A couple of minutes later a young dominicano in a jipeta pulled up next to me at a stop light, honked to get my attention and in a moment was handing my card to me. He had been behind me at the machine, and when he saw the card had just dropped everything and followed me to return my property. Not a huge thing, but a small act of kindness I will always remember.

Take note AZB, Chip and anyone else who insists that "real dominicans", who won't try to take advantage of a foreigner only live in Santiago!

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
That post from sweetdbt has just made me remember something too. A few months ago we were driving down the road in our big Dodge truck with 2 large wooden dog crates on the back to deliver to Judy's Pet Lodge for use by Asociaci?n De Amigos Por Los Animales De Sos?a, Inc.

They were 2 of the purpose built containers (weighing about 40lbs each) in which we transported our dogs from England.

On a fast piece of road between Sabaneta and Cabarete one slipped back and the tailgate of the truck dropped down depositing the crate in the road. A local Dominican, seeing our plight, ran into the road, lifted the container onto his shoulders and ran after us as we attempted to reverse up the main road.

An impressive example of the local people here in my opinion.

elton

My thread snapped!
Jul 1, 2008
keep the positive stories coming - its nice to hear these things"hakuna matata it means no worries for the rest of your life"

sueeng3

May 5, 2008
If you read the have a heart thread you will see what the people of Costambar and other parts of the Dominican Rebuplic have done and are still doing for my husband and myself,
i cant thank then enough for it.
without the support from all these people i am not sure how i would have got through it
so thanks once more

elton

My thread snapped!
Jul 1, 2008
I couldnt decide on "dont let the sun go down on me " or "someone saved my life tonight" - best wishes to you

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Before I moved to the DR I was on vacation in Boca Chica and took the bus into Santo Domingo. At the bus transfer station in Andres as I boarded the express bus to the capital a Dominican man approached and called out to me waving something.

It was a debit card that had slipped out of my pocket as I exited the local bus to board the express bus.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I have had a wallet full of cash returned to me by a taxi driver. When I tugged it out of my back pocket to pay him, I put it between my legs in order not to have to go through all of those contortions again... and promptly forgot it until I was out of the car and he was driving off.. I whistled and he did come back...

But here is one of my favorites:http://www.dr1.com/forums/general-stuff/17541-today-birthday-one-luckiest-kids-dr.html

HB

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
I have had a wallet full of cash returned to me by a taxi driver. When I tugged it out of my back pocket to pay him, I put it between my legs in order not to have to go through all of those contortions again... and promptly forgot it until I was out of the car and he was driving off.. I whistled and he did come back...

But here is one of my favorites:http://www.dr1.com/forums/general-stuff/17541-today-birthday-one-luckiest-kids-dr.html

HB

I'm balling my eyes out!! what a wonderful story!! How old is your grandson now?

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004

HB

That is a very touching story indeed.

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
The staff at the Sunscape resort-and the nurses at the Bavaro Hospital were all really wonderful when my daughter fell ill...and the sweetest man had a fruit stand going, he would make ShishKobobs with assorted fruit, he would always fill up a plate of watermelon, for me to bring up to Jazz in the room, and if he was packing up, he would get the maids to bring it up to her!

One day, I came in the room and one of the maids was sitting with Jazz and holding her hand saying a prayer. These people I will always remember!