Best way to send 10 used cellphones to DR

domenico

Jan 4, 2004
Im looking to send 10 used cellphones to DR, whats the most reliable service and how do i make sure i can clear customs. The phones were purchased on ebay and i have invoices of the price i paid.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Im looking to send 10 used cellphones to DR, whats the most reliable service and how do i make sure i can clear customs. The phones were purchased on ebay and i have invoices of the price i paid.

I use USPS Express Mail. It is much cheaper than DHL or FedEx and they deliver. But sometimes their delivery takes up to six weeks instead of promised "3-5 days". But so far they deliver and never issues with customs.

Ten cphones by USPS Express Mail will cost you some $50 US. And they deliver right into hands.

domenico

Jan 4, 2004
thanks for the reply, i just gotta declare the value i paid for them on ebay? no need for invoices

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
thanks for the reply, i just gotta declare the value i paid for them on ebay? no need for invoices

I only declare value and never included any invoices/receipts.

So far, no prob.

Some expensive items. Valuable. Like auto parts, electronics.

domenico

Jan 4, 2004
how often can you send a package there like this? i want to send another box hopefully 2-3 weeks later would it be a problem

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
domenico,

If you are hoping to make your fortune reselling phones you bought on ebay in the DR, get in line. Many have tried. I haven't heard of anyone who has made any significant money doing this yet, and most have done well to break even after investing a lot of time.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
If you bring it in through Business Mail or EPS there is a maximum value of US200 before Aduanas will apply tariffs.

You need a receipt too, declaring the value means nothing to Aduanas because they have their own rules. Anybody who has done it this way and didn't get caught was lucky and is only a matter of time. I live in the DR and buy stuff abroad all of the time.

Please do not sent cellphones to Dominican Republic.
The parents buy only telephonecards and do not buy food for the children, because the Dominicans are phone-addicted.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
totally agree to CHIP,
you can always try to do something illegally but don't cry after you got caught,
those recommendations in the first posts are worthless.
i have since several weks 40 baseballbags with baseball equipments stuck in customs, and they are declared a donation with the needed papers by the dominican embassador in Ottawa.
anyways,
cellphones cost here in the country close to nothing,
i assume the e-bay purchased stuff are old models, dominicans don't buy them, the guys always want the new stuff shown on TV as the "must have's".
older models you can get here in a shop for a few bucks, plug you chip in and they work. models from the US often have to get "approved" for the use here, that means you have to bring them to a shop where they open the code so they work, that costs you $30.- - $50.- per cellphone, more than the same phone purchased here and open for the service anyways.
Mike

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
totally agree to CHIP,
you can always try to do something illegally but don't cry after you got caught,
i have since several weks 40 baseballbags with baseball equipments stuck in customs, and they are declared a donation with the needed papers by the dominican embassador in Ottawa.
anyways,
i assume the e-bay purchased stuff are old models, dominicans don't buy them, the guys always want the new stuff shown on TV as the "must have's".
older models you can get here in a shop for a few bucks, plug you chip in and they work. models from the US often have to get "approved" for the use here, that means you have to bring them to a shop where they open the code so they work, that costs you $30.- - $50.- per cellphone, more than the same phone purchased here and open for the service anyways.
Mike

Totally agree - very true

Rio

domenico

Jan 4, 2004
i dont get when someone tries to answer a question with a answer that has nothing to do with a question. seriously sometimes i end up realizing i am talking in the dr1 forum

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Porque.....

i dont get when someone tries to answer a question with a answer that has nothing to do with a question. seriously sometimes i end up realizing i am talking in the dr1 forum

Because sometimes DR1 members are one jump ahead and can see where the first question is leading to ......... perhaps?

domenico

Jan 4, 2004
totally agree to CHIP,
anyways,
Mike

you guys are really top notch dominicanos. try going to a campo and finding someone with a iphone or sidekick. i remember going to a claro store in april for a phone and there was no top model phone other then a old blackberry which was being sold for well over 4,000 pesos. you do notice that most of the phones sold in these places say SPRINT NEXTEL VIRGIN, where you think they come from. and its not like im the only person who would send phones to dr. i know numerous people. now for my people in the campo i know 8 people waiting for JUST A PHONE JUST A PHONE no iphone no sidekick no choclate no blackberry. a old man macheting in the campo isnt gonna need no special phone too so get it right. for real guys start living outside the tresholds in dr. i sent already ipods digital cameras now when i ask cellphones u guys think its a big deal cause u know what its like.

canbon

Apr 28, 2006
this is an example

of how things can get out blown out of proportion--as I have said before, sometimes someone's simple question looking for a simple answer turns in to a fiasco....all of a sudden they are doing something illegal. People just go on and on...I believe the question asked was what is the best way to send cell phones?

I find it irritating that people assume so much without the facts...just my two cents!!

To the OP, I sent a cell phone to a friend by Canada Post Air Parcel one year ago...my friend still has not received it.

domenico

Jan 4, 2004
acqui venimos para hacer preguntas no para hacer burlas y hablar de mierda que no vale un centavo. asi, yo se que las cosas aya no son perfectas pero la Republica Dominicana no es el unico paiz que trabaja asi. el dinero hace milagros en la Republica Dominicana. Me da risa quando veo que un dominicano de acqui vuelva a RD con su dinerito para pasarsela bien y ya todo la gente creen que es un milionario. la ignorancia dominicana es fea de verdad. la gente nunca aprenden. Vete para un campo de verdad y tu vas a ver que la gente no son asi y aceptaron que la vida es asi (pobre) pero vamo tener eso grupo de gente (los tigres) que solo quieren ser como la gente que creen que somos acqui en NY. En todo lados vamos encontrar lo bueno y lo malo. Igual con mujeres, estan la mujeres buena y sanas que buscan un hombre bueno y esta lo que le quitan todo lo cuarto. Tenemos de aceptar los dos y no hablar de todo la mierda que no es Republica Dominicana. Para mi la aduana se puede ir para el carajo. El dinero no le paga mucho para trabaja mucho y ello no van a sacar cada caja y decir ok vamo a parar 10000000 gente hoy. Diablo, de verdad. Yo puedo decir que soy de un campo pero yo se como la cosas trabajan en la ciudad. Asi gracias por la informacion y piensen lo que piensen se pierdo los telefonos, no me voy a matar como ustedes porque ustedes tienen mucho para peder de reputacion que no te engano un dominicano todavia.(y yo se que muchos de ustedes estuverion enganado ja porque lo que hablan mucho son lo que le enganan mas

domenico

Jan 4, 2004
of how things can get out blown out of proportion--as I have said before, sometimes someone's simple question looking for a simple answer turns in to a fiasco....all of a sudden they are doing something illegal. People just go on and on...I believe the question asked was what is the best way to send cell phones?

I find it irritating that people assume so much without the facts...just my two cents!!

To the OP, I sent a cell phone to a friend by Canada Post Air Parcel one year ago...my friend still has not received it.

Things happen so far i sent two packages they got there safely at santiago and i had the person pick them up. they both contained a ipod and camera which they paid me and i had it sent there international priority mail via usps.
Now i sent the package EMS which is destined to get there in 8 days. If its lost its lost, theres something called INSURANCE which FORTUNATLEY this country is willing enough to pay me back. If customs blocks the crap well see what happens.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Why do some people get so defensive and analytical?

Come to the board...seek advice...dont like what they hear...and go off the deep-end...???