What Cell Phone Co to Use in Sosua

travellor1

Apr 14, 2008
I believe I've read all the posts on cell phones. They were all negative.

So my question is, which company is better and can I rent a phone from them for a week at what cost?

I just need it for emergencies. MY Mami is 92 yrs. young.

Can I text?

Any info anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated.

I didn't realize this was such a problem.

Claire

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Yes you can text, no, you can't rent.
You can do as Tambo suggested, bring your own and buy a sim card here, or just buy a cheap phone here for 30 bux or so.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I believe I've read all the posts on cell phones. They were all negative.

So my question is, which company is better and can I rent a phone from them for a week at what cost?

I just need it for emergencies. MY Mami is 92 yrs. young.

Can I text?

Any info anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated.

I didn't realize this was such a problem.

Claire

It's not really a problem at all. It's just that we tend only to post about problems when they occur, that's all.

1. You can check with your US cell company if they offer roaming in the DR, however, you may find that even incoming calls will be billed to you at a very expensive rate.
  2. You can bring your US unlocked GSM (Chip) phone and buy a Orange or Claro (Codetel) chip with a DR number on a pay-as-you go service. If you come from an other country you may need your phone to be tri-or-quadri-band.
  3. You can buy a cheapo cell phone with a DR-phone number on a pay-as-you-go service starting at RD$590.oo (less than USD20.oo) which includes RD$ 100.oo calling credit from Orange or Claro (Codetel).
With a DR cell phone (Orange or Claro) you can text in and out. Incoming calls are free. Outbound calls to the US from an Orange pay-as-you-go cell phone are now at the same rate as local or domestic cell-to-cell calls (I don't know about Claro's rates).

... J-D.

olddog

Jul 14, 2006
travellor1

For a number of years I have brought my Motorola phone to DR and got sim a card installed locally. Then I got lazier than ever and just used my card from the states which is Cingular (I think they are tied in with Orange). Great for emergencies, calling cabbies, etc. But if you are going to use the phone a ton, get a local sim card. Stateside sim cards, if used a lot, cost like the dickens...about 3 bux a call.

My two cents worth.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
travellor1

For a number of years I have brought my Motorola phone to DR and got sim a card installed locally. Then I got lazier than ever and just used my card from the states which is Cingular (I think they are tied in with Orange). Great for emergencies, calling cabbies, etc. But if you are going to use the phone a ton, get a local sim card. Stateside sim cards, if used a lot, cost like the dickens...about 3 bux a call.

My two cents worth.

Could be worth a lot more than two cents, especially if your phone is lost or stolen. I had several hundred dollars in international roaming charges ($1.70/minute) run up on my phone before I could have it cut off. Fortunately, my carrier accepted my explaination and removed the charges. What made it more frustrating is that I had a cheap prepaid dominican phone I was using for calling. The only reason I even had the US phone out of my bag was to use the alarm clock feature.