language problems?

hal1955

Jul 3, 2008
I'm 58 and single,live in Canada, and I'm tired of the winter cold. I plan on spending the winter months, say January to June, in a warmer climate.I've heard a lot about the DR and it sounds like a fun place. I speak English and French but no Spanish. Am I going to have a hard time socializing and meeting people? Is English spoken in the DR?

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
yes it is , you can find communities with a lot of english, but you should learn spanish because it is very difficult to get things done if you don't know some spanish. but lots of people survive there with no spanish they just tend to have to pay more for everyday things

sherri

Jan 25, 2006
You will never believe how many people here actually speak English, especially in the tourist areas like Puerto Plata/Sousa. I think as long as you can pick up a few basic Spanish words/phrases you should do fine. As for socializing there are bar and things of that nature operated by Americans/Canadians. It would be an exellent idea to get to know some of the people on this site.

Good Luck !! D.R is a wonderful place to relax and slow things down...

hal1955

Jul 3, 2008
I was also wondering if the locals speak English, especially the pretty girls I see in all the travel websites......... :)

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I was also wondering if the locals speak English, especially the pretty girls I see in all the travel websites......... :)

As long as you can say mil quiniento mi amor, you will never be lonely!

t'

hal1955

Jul 3, 2008
My French tells me that mil =a thousand and mi= my and amor = love but I don't get quiniento. What is a quiniento?

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
My French tells me that mil =a thousand and mi= my and amor = love but I don't get quiniento. What is a quiniento?

500 pesos Mil quiniento = 1500 pesos for "mi amor"

tambo' - you have a one track mind......

hal1955

Jul 3, 2008
I didn't think this was that kind of forum haha........what I meant was " is English widely spoken and could I have an actual conversation with a local gal?" I know that money talks but that is not exactly what I am looking for.

A

apostropheman

Speaking French as well as English may give you a slight edge of guys like me that really only speak English...at least when it comes to learning Spanish.

Get your hands on some tapes/CD's as well as a good grammar book and dictionary and learn what you can in advance. Perhaps spend a few weeks/months taking Spanish lessins while in the DR as well. Before you know it you'll know just enough Spanish to get yourself into trouble...and LUV it! :p:bunny::bunny:

try:

Pimsleur Spanish
Michel Thomas Spanish
Learn Spanish in your car
Rocket Spanish
Rosetta Stone Spanish...an interesting type of language learning computer program

There are many more if you Google :D
I'm 58 and single,live in Canada, and I'm tired of the winter cold. I plan on spending the winter months, say January to June, in a warmer climate.I've heard a lot about the DR and it sounds like a fun place. I speak English and French but no Spanish. Am I going to have a hard time socializing and meeting people? Is English spoken in the DR?
All are for sale and also available p2p using torrents or similar....not that I endorse that

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I didn't think this was that kind of forum haha........what I meant was " is English widely spoken and could I have an actual conversation with a local gal?" I know that money talks but that is not exactly what I am looking for.
You're right.
It's not that kind of forum.
People are just having some fun and making jokes.

You will have a distinct advantage, learning Spanish, what with your ability to speak both English and French.
With a little bit of studying and practice, you'll manage just fine, holding a conversation with a local gal.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Try learning Spanish and getting out of the tourist areas for a change of pace.
No kidding...............
Some folks go to the strip in Sosua at night and they think that they have now been exposed to Dominican culture.
Even right in the tourist areas, there are plenty of fine women who are not all about money, but they are not to be found walking the streets at night around the bars and discos, where all the tourists are.

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006

Sorry hal - I was being shallow in my previous post - (shallow hal, get it......:D )
I think it shows so much more respect for a foreign country and the people if you spend a little time learning at least some of their native language, even if they speak English ...... I often have conversations with Dominicans where I am speaking Spanish and they are speaking English - both practising!
It is always well received regardless of how wide of the mark!
Just a couple of pesos worth....
Rio