Share some negatives...

nm2251

Jun 15, 2008
I'm planning on moving to the DR next year and I'm doing some extensive research, talking to people and going though websites and forums.

I keep hearing and reading how wonderful it is to live in the DR and for the most part I agree.

However, I'm sure it is very different than being here in the U.S (for better or worse)

Can you share the "bad" stuff? What are the things I'll have to adjust to? What are the negative things that I might not like at first but I?ll have to get used to?

I already know about the frequent power outages...

Tell me more...

Thanks

elton

My thread snapped!
Jul 1, 2008
I presume you are joking...I just started a positive thread because there seemed to be too much negativity

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Can you share the "bad" stuff? What are the things I'll have to adjust to? What are the negative things that I might not like at first but I?ll have to get used to?

You were born in the DR, yes? I don't mean that as a negative :cheeky: but I'm going to suggest you start by asking your extended Dominican family & friends about developments & changes here in the last 30 years. The reason being that you will get some different responses from Dominicans and gringo expats on this one. If you really want it full between the eyes consult the rantings of a poster named megabiteme or slightly less extreme Papa Benito (but read between the lines of both). And forgive us for not having Cassandra like qualities...............how would we know what you might not like........................? ;)

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
I'm planning on moving to the DR next year and I'm doing some extensive research, talking to people and going though websites and forums.

I keep hearing and reading how wonderful it is to live in the DR and for the most part I agree.

However, I'm sure it is very different than being here in the U.S (for better or worse)

I already know about the frequent power outages...

Tell me more...

Thanks

On your next visit try to spend in this country at least three-four weeks. Try to meet some expats who live here for at least three-four years - long enough to discard the caribbean pink glasses, and they will answer most of your questions.

Make sure they are not personally and vitaly interested in your money - not hotel or restaurant owners, not lawyers, not RE people and not ones who are dreaming of unloading their houses.

I do not say that all hotel/restaurant/RE owners are bad or dishonest! No! I do not say that!!

Just a reminder of conflict of [vested] interests. We all need to survive somehow, and it is not easy in DR.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com

nm2251

Jun 15, 2008
Gush guys... you've taken this request a bit too seriously...
When I wrote negatives, I didn't mean I want to know about the people who are there to con me... they are everywhere, even here in the States...

I meant by that that I want to know about things like the fact that the electricity goes off very often, stuff like the cable guy making an appointment and never shows up. Things like sharing a buss with a cow (just made that one out). Ya know… the small details that will be cultural shocking.

Lambada - I do not have an extended family in DR nor do I know anyone there (I made a few connections through this website). My father used to work in Santo Domingo for the consulate of Israel and he never went back since we left in 79.

Thanks

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
life here is not cheap. service, maids and so on - yes but housing, food, cars - not as cheap as you may think, some things are more pricey here than in US (household appliances, cosmetics, cars - all the luxuries big and small).

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
I like the Dominicans, the more I know them the more I like them. BUT tHEY HAVE VERY LITTLE SENSE OF TIME, 2.30 TOMORROW WILL MEAN AT LEAST 4.30 AND POSSIBLY The day after. (sorry) They always want instant gratification, whatever it is to do or grant or supply, it must be now, however they take a NO without much problem. Their cack handed way of doing many things will drive you nearly to distraction but show them how you would do creates imitation.The first price quoted will usually be the price for tourists, wherever you can find out what a dominican pays and tell them that?s what you?ll pay. Taxis and similar will quote you in dollars, prearm yourself with the excange rate (today 34.10) and say no you?ll pay 300 pesos not US$10. A big thing is to learn the language they love using -fue- and not -e ido-. Se fue is very popular here as is come tu ta. (I?m getting there gradually!) Anyway good luck - to partly change the phrase their bark is way worse than their bite.

lollipop

Mar 28, 2008
It all depends what part of the country you're moving to, and what's your lifestyle, I'm sure a person that lives in Los Guaricanos has a total different response than someone from Piantini, and that's only in Santo Domingo! then think about Puerto Plata, Punta Cana, Santiago... uff! too many things!

BUT! some general stuffs are:

Drivers: please be aware that we do have laws for it, the thing is we don't quite follow them :)

Not everybody has black-outs (I don't) but public areas are mostly damn dark!!!!!

You MUST speak Spanish to get around.

We have a very relaxed philosophy, everything is ma?ana, ma?ana and if you come in a rush we're gonna think you are a crazy gringa that needs to slow down.

This last rule doesn't apply to driving, so please be very aware of it.

All men feel like is their right to tell you how hot you are (no matter how you look, if you're single or not or whatever) and they don't see a reason why you should get offended by some of their nasty comments (not all of them make nasty comments though)

Must poor people (I'm not saying ALL of them) would think you have money because you're a gringa, and some people would try to overcharge you, I don't think is out of malice but because they think you can afford it (it happens to me and I'm Dominican!)

We love to party, don't ask me why, it's just the way we are.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Lambada - I do not have an extended family in DR nor do I know anyone there (I made a few connections through this website). My father used to work in Santo Domingo for the consulate of Israel and he never went back since we left in 79.

Ah, ok. When I saw you were born here I assumed you were Dominican & not the child of a diplomat. There could still be people around who remember your father, though, & that might not be a bad line of enquiry to pursue.

'Culturally shocking' by your definition could be people being friendly, having time for you & being prepared to chat. So why am I posting that in answer to 'negatives'? Because, if you're not accustomed to it, it can be experienced as people being nosey and/or overly intrusive into your life. There aren't many secrets here! ;) And questions which might be considered 'personal' in your culture (like 'how much do you earn') are not dealt with in the same way - people will answer if you ask and will expect the same from you. So personal information boundaries are different. Over time, you'll find the balance in how you cope with this - it isn't that difficult.

Thee other thing you could find different is the attention span. Here people respond to the last interruption. Can be annoying if you're in a shop waiting for the assistant to serve you until.............you learn how to cope with it (you re-present your question & thus you become the last interruption).

When you first start driving here don't get annoyed by all the hooting. It isn't road rage or 'get out of my way'. It's 'I've seen you; this is to make sure you've seen me'. And thus deserves congratulation not acrimony :laugh:.

Basically, you're about to enter on a giant chilling out & humanising experience. If you're flexible & can laugh at yourself you'll do just fine. If you're uptight, want everything 'just so' & have a limited sense of humour, the path will be that much harder and, for some, impossible.

Good luck! :)