Which buses for Punta Cana from Sto Dom City?

on the road again

Jun 26, 2008
Hi all,
I'm trying to figure out how to join my sister and mother for a few days during their holiday in Punta Cana Grand Oasis.

I'd be travelling from Santo Domingo in the city, and from other posts I gather I take the Bavaro Express, from somewhere on Maximo Gomez. (Can someone advise a cross street or landmarks for the terminal?) And in Punta Cana/Bavaro, would I get a taxi from the bus terminal to their resort, or is there a gua gua that does a run past the resorts?

The trip's about 4 hours? About 300$RD? I assume no reservation possible?

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Hi all,
I'm trying to figure out how to join my sister and mother for a few days during their holiday in Punta Cana Grand Oasis.

I'd be travelling from Santo Domingo in the city, and from other posts I gather I take the Bavaro Express, from somewhere on Maximo Gomez. (Can someone advise a cross street or landmarks for the terminal?) And in Punta Cana/Bavaro, would I get a taxi from the bus terminal to their resort, or is there a gua gua that does a run past the resorts?

The trip's about 4 hours? About 300$RD? I assume no reservation possible?

Any taxi driver in SD should know where the parada on Maximo Gomez is for the Bavaro Express. No reservation but get there early as its first come first served and they wont allow anyone to stand ( I have tried that before when the bus was full).
Once you arrive in Bavaro at Friusa, I think a taxi would be your best bet to get to their resort.

Regarding the fare, it may have gone up as I paid close to that 8 months ago, taking into accoun the price of gas.

Good luck

Theforceinme

Oct 19, 2007
www.facebook.com
The trip is 3 hours and it is a little less than 400 pesos. I don't know the schedule, but the first bus is at 8am. And indeed, you cannot reserve, be early!

The address is Juan Sanchez #31 at the corner of Av Maximo Gomez. A good reference for your taxi driver is that it is across the street from El Nacional Supermercado on Maximo Gomez.

Call them for schedules: 809-682-9670 (in Santo Domingo)

Have fun!

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
hey Ontheroadagain,
the grand oasis is located in Cabeza de Toro,
so the usual Expresso described above would be an extra journey, because it brings you to their Bavaro terminal in Friusa, arriving there means you passed Cabeza de Toro by 30-35 minutes and would need 1 bus from the station to the crossing named Cabeza de Toro and from there an other bus driving down to Cabeza de Toro to get dropped off at the Grand Oasis.
do it the easier way:
in Santo Domingo you go to the Parque Enriquillo,
i don't remember the line's name, but you can ask anybody there for the Terminal where the buses(normal ones and Expresos available, Expresos leave each full hour) to Higuey leave. in Higuey they drop you of at the Terminal of "Sitrabapu" where all the buses to the Bavaro/Punta Cana area leave. they run 3 different lines at the same terminal, just ask which one is the one for Cabeza de Toro, they leave all day long every 20-30 minutes, so this bus will drop you off right at the gate of the Grand Oasis in Cabeza de Toro.
it is not complicated, the buses are modern and airconditioned(Expresos) and run quiet fast.
have a great time
Mike

on the road again

Jun 26, 2008
Thanks folks.
Looks like Higuey is my best option, thanks for this, Mike.
Just for future reference, as I am one of those madwomen who actually drives in Santo Domingo, is the Maximo Gomez parada north or south of 27 Feb?
Y'all are fabulous to jump in to answer questions all the time!
Thanks again.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
and the route with switching the bus only once, in higuey, is the faster one.
i did both lines several times 1 1/2 year back while my car been 'out of service', lol.
for myself both routes pass right in front of my house in Veron when entering Bavaro, the first 2 rides i took the Expresso Bavaro-Santo Domingo, leaving with the first one at 7:00AM in the morning at their Terminal in Friusa(because they do not pick up passengers in front of my house, but drop me off there on the way back) and i arrived at the Parque Enriquilo(my meeting point with my lawyer) dropped off always after 11AM-11:15AM.
then i started by a friends recommendation the route to take the regular bus from bavaro to higuey right in front of my homedoor(no need of an other 30 minutes travel to the terminal) and from higuey the expreso(leaving every full hour, starting 7AM, and i never needed including for the buses to leave aso more than 3 1/2hrs total to arrive at the same parque enriquillo, same much more speedier on the ways back. in your case travelling to the Grand Oasis in Cabeza de Toro you would at a bunch of extra time plus the hassle of 2 more short bus rides(maybe with luggage?) and the waiting time for the additional buses to arrive. in case you want to take the direct route st dgo-bus terminal friusa and grab a cabby there to the hotel the actual(july 1st risen by 30%) cabby fare count's a $30.-.
have a great time on the east
Mike