Another one bites the dust

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Well it seems like one of the last reasonable places to eat on the Beach in Cabarete has bitten the dust and gone the way of the Jose O'Shays, Cassanovas, Blue etc on the beach. No longer is it local friendly but now wants to cater to the tourists only. Over the last week the entire menu has had price increases from 45% to 50% on everything. We went there for breakfast this morning and what cost us $225-240RD total with 10% for Ciecelia last Sunday today was $455. The tuna steak salad (one of the best i have had) used to be $270 now is priced at $390.Fish dinners are now in the $600 or more pirce range. I do hope that there are enough tourists to keep them going this summer, because the locals (me for sure) will no longer be eating there. Too bad it used to be a nice place to eat at.

Bob K

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
actually the last time we were at o sheys their food quality had also gone down hill considerably which is more of a disappointment considering the prices. We drive from Costamber when we have company and we disappointed the last two times. might need to change

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
How about telling us the name of the place? Or did I miss something?

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Well it seems like one of the last reasonable places to eat on the Beach in Cabarete has bitten the dust and gone the way of the Jose O'Shays, Cassanovas, Blue etc on the beach. No longer is it local friendly but now wants to cater to the tourists only. Over the last week the entire menu has had price increases from 45% to 50% on everything. We went there for breakfast this morning and what cost us $225-240RD total with 10% for Ciecelia last Sunday today was $455. The tuna steak salad (one of the best i have had) used to be $270 now is priced at $390.Fish dinners are now in the $600 or more pirce range. I do hope that there are enough tourists to keep them going this summer, because the locals (me for sure) will no longer be eating there. Too bad it used to be a nice place to eat at.

Bob K

What is the name of the restaurante? With our european friends we are going to dine in Cabarete on Saturday and we do not want to feed the greedy smart boys by mistake.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Each learned increase in price should be reported here right away, not to have the situation like the current one in Sosua where some formerly respected and popular establishments also went this way.

A sticky thread is probably needed. "BUSINESSES WHO INCREASED PRICES".

In some countries price gouging is criminal offence.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Gosh too many steaks at Rocky's yesterday and brain went to sleep. The restaurant i was talking about is Ono's. Sorry.

Bob K

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Lax is the "friendliest" place on the beach...reasonable prices, tax and 10% service included in the prices, (but not the "tip"!), different happy hour deals from 5pm to 1am, and decent food, but a limited menu.

Cabarete Blue is actually pretty reasonable considering the quality and atmosphere...and the tax and service are included.

On the beach, T&S *not* included, but worth the price and always popular with ExPats:
Papi's and Pomodoro

Other good places, all popular with ExPats, but not on the beach "strip" ...all include T&S in the prices:
Bliss, Locos d'enfrente, "Bayerischer Hof" (the German place across from Ocean Dream), Dick's bakery (for breakfast), Martini's at Cabarete East - kind of a "hidden gem"....especially Taco Tuesdays, Elvis' (across from Velero Resort, Ali's Surf Camp...

Also everyone should check out La Boca at least once!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Lax is the "friendliest" place on the beach...reasonable prices, tax and 10% service included in the prices, (but not the "tip"!), different happy hour deals from 5pm to 1am, and decent food, but a limited menu.

Cabarete Blue is actually pretty reasonable considering the quality and atmosphere...and the tax and service are included.

On the beach, T&S *not* included, but worth the price and always popular with ExPats:
Papi's and Pomodoro

Other good places, all popular with ExPats, but not on the beach "strip" ...all include T&S in the prices:
Bliss, Locos d'enfrente, "Bayerischer Hof" (the German place across from Ocean Dream), Dick's bakery (for breakfast), Martini's at Cabarete East - kind of a "hidden gem"....especially Taco Tuesdays, Elvis' (across from Velero Resort, Ali's Surf Camp...

Also everyone should check out La Boca at least once!
Wow.
That's a long list.
What's to complain about?
Most folks would be happy if they had just a few inexpensive expat choices in their town.
Sounds like you have a good dozen there and I thank you for posting them.
As we know you to be pretty well traveled and a straight shooter, would you mind giving us a list of your favorites?
That is, if you don't mind.
PS: Good to see you yesterday.

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
a bit pricey but excellent and rarely mentioned is Miro's for Thia food.

How is Voy Voy doing? When I was there in January the new management had some really exciting ideas which I hope they pulled off. The food was good and reasonably priced.

To be honest, I thought Onno's had already begun to slide back then sadly, as it had been one of my favorite places in the past.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
For you Marco, of course! Here's my "Best of Cabarete" list:

Happy Hour:
Hands, down, Lax, honorable mention to Casanova and Onno's

Food:
Inexpensive: Ali's, Locos, Bayerischer Hof, Lax

Dominican: Elvis', Celina's (on the beach, next to Pomodoro), Parillada Luis

More upscale: Cabarete Blue, Bliss, Casa Del Pescador

Pricey but awesome food: Papi's (worth every penny, IMO!), honorable mention to Otra Cosa

Breakfast: Claro, Dick's, Velero

Tacos: Cabarete East!

Pizza: Pomodoro, Lax

Sandwiches/Salads/Specialty Coffees: Friends

Lobster: Casa del Pescador, La Boca

Romantic: Reasonable: Blue, Casa del Pescador, High-end: Otra Cosa

Best view: Velero, La Boca

Dessert: gelato place next to Pomodoro - try it...it's outstanding! Chocolate Mousse at Bliss

24 hours: Hexen Kessel

Promising new-comer: Caravel (next to Viva Wyndham) Toma La Luna (re-opened)

Best "insider"/special occasion spots: 7:36, Blue Moon, Castle Club

Drinks:
Lax, Cosita Bar

Music:
Early: Lax
Late: Onno's, Bambu (also, for Salsa, Bachata and Merengue all night: Calamari en Folie - next to Onno's)

Closest to an Expat "hangout": Dick's Bakery, Lax

Overall favorite: Lax

you're right Marco, things are not so bad here! Although I do like to head to Sosua for Breakfast and Ribs at Rocky's, Lunch at Bailey's Cafeteria, Italian food at Bologna, Fish and Chips (and happy hour) at Brittania, Thai food at Chiles, etc...Sosua's list is definitely longer, but most of us in Cabarete aren't complaining!

Last edited:
A

apostropheman

Looks like I have to get to Cabarete more often!

Thanks David, your list is impressive!!! :D

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Elvis - you have to try your namesake's place...it's a great little local grill...ribs, chicken, pork chops, etc...with fries and salad for 200 pesos or less!

I got so worked up making the list...I'm heading to Lax for the "first" happy hour...around 2lbs of thai-style grilled chicken wings, drumsticks and thighs with fries for 100 pesos and brahmas or coronas for 50 pesos! :-D

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I agree that Lax is excellent, especially if you make it out for the "happy hour" prices. We thought the menu was well-priced anyway, especially when compared to some other area restaurants whose menu we perused.

I seem to recall the name "Sandro's" as a place serving "La Bandera" and the likes.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I agree that Lax is excellent, especially if you make it out for the "happy hour" prices. We thought the menu was well-priced anyway, especially when compared to some other area restaurants whose menu we perused.

I seem to recall the name "Sandro's" as a place serving "La Bandera" and the likes.

Sandra"s is a very good Dominican restaurant in Sosua. It is on Pedro Clisante near the Europa.

A

apostropheman

I must be confusing this with Susana's?

Where is Sandra's exactly?:confused:

Sandra"s is a very good Dominican restaurant in Sosua. It is on Pedro Clisante near the Europa.

Status
Not open for further replies.