Young Girl With Early Retirement Dreams In Dr!!!!

sunshine73

Apr 5, 2006
Little bit of back ground story..... I am a disabled vet, who consecuently was pushed out of the NYPD because of my injury. Now I am looking into part time retiremtn in DR.
I'm buying a nice little apt in Bella Vista, Santo Domingo. I know what the cost of living is but I wonder what everyone here considers the appropriate income for comfortable living and for luxury living.

I am so ready to start this new chapter in life.

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Little bit of back ground story..... I am a disabled vet, who consecuently was pushed out of the NYPD because of my injury. Now I am looking into part time retiremtn in DR.
I'm buying a nice little apt in Bella Vista, Santo Domingo. I know what the cost of living is but I wonder what everyone here considers the appropriate income for comfortable living and for luxury living.

This topic has been covered (not to say "done to death") in lots of threads on this forum so don't get upset if you don't get too many constructive replies....just use the SEARCH option and read for yourself.

Last edited:

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
This topic has been covered (not to say "done to death") in lots of threads on this forum so don't get upset if you don't get too many constructive replies....just use the SEARCH option and read for yourself.

True!!!

But, shot out to Sunshine73!!!!!

I hope all your dreams come true. The sun and easy living should help you enjoy your life. NYPD is always a has a peice of my heart.:cheeky:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
There are quite a few retired military living here in the DR.

The income needed will vary according to your lifestyle. As a benchmark, many Dominican families live off of less than US250 a month. However, this will be very difficult for a Westerner to adapt to as we are accustomed to many luxuries like eating out, buying the food we like, ac, screens, shopping etc.

All being told, if you are single and bringing in around US15 to 20k you should be able to live fairly well.

Another important factor affecting living costs is the area where you will live. As you might guess, living in an area with a lot of foreigners will be more expensive. Also, if you don't speak the language sufficiently well to be understood and to understand as well, you will inevitably be charged higher prices.

Best of luck

chip, 82 abn

sunshine73

Apr 5, 2006
Thanx to everyone who responded.....I have seen lots of threads on the cost of living....I mainly wanted to see...Not the break down...but I guess what I really want to know is what would be the ideal income to live as western family in santo domingo.

bronxboyatheart ,Thanx 4 the shout out NYPD was hot while it lasted.

Bryanell Thank you and I understand!!

Chip Lots of great info, appreciate the time taken to answer me

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007

Luxury living about 4,000 USD a month. and you live anyway you like here.

sunshine73

Apr 5, 2006
Tallman thanx that sound all right with..... I can definetly swing that now if I can only deal with being a stay at home mom......lol

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
I agree that $4,000 a month would do it. I was going to say $3,600 a month. I would not try to do it for less.