visit to Canada ~ vs ~ a move

mamielizabeth

Feb 9, 2008
What is the sucess rate of DOminican residents being able to visit Canada ? Is there a link to provide information about the process? I think a Passport,letter of invitation and VISA are required but i am not sure of the order of things?

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
just search visitor visa in the search bar on this site & you will find many posts about this subject.

it is extremely difficult to get a visitor visa to canada.

here is a link with some more information on the actual process and what is required.

Visiting Canada

the success rate is probably 0% as I can't remember anyone posting that they have been approved for a visitor visa to Canada since I joined this board.

donnaparadise

Sep 1, 2003
paralaestrella.com
It can take a year and a half and longer for a spouse to bring their legal spouse up to Canada. Visitors from the Dominican Republic have Zero chance of getting there in this millennium unless they already have been there before. I have met 2 Dominicans in 7 years that have actually ever visited Canada and it was years ago, before everything got tightened up beyond reasonable.

I'd save my time, energy and money, if I were you. It just isn't likely to happen - ever. Even if there were a chance, I know for a fact after talking to others who have tried it, that the 1st request always gets turned down, regardless on the final outcome - even for professionals.

It is easier to get into Fort Knox that across the Canadian borders.

Things were tightened up because of so many Dominicans visiting and not coming back and because of Canadian law that says that once someone reaches our soil, they are entitled to all the benefits of a citizen, it just got too expensive. As well, there were too many Canadian/Dominican marriages that went sour and the Canadians who were supposed to be sponsoring the Dominicans for up to 10 years found themselves in very difficult situations at times and the government had to pick up the tab. So, now a nasty few have spoiled it for all.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My wife and I brought 2 of her cousins daughters( age 15, 18) here to Canada 2 summers ago for ESL summer school. In this case they had acceptance to the school and an invitation letter from us....etc. Both girls now have American Visa's also. Middle income Dominicans, so yes it can be done, but is usually unsuccessful.

donnaparadise

Sep 1, 2003
paralaestrella.com
There are special considerations for middle-class Dominicans that can prove that they will not stay in Canada beyond their date. They have to show they have a house, car, money in the bank for quite a period of time, etc., etc.

Also there are special rulings for those who are going to go to school and for relatives. I suppose I assumed that the person that the poster wanted to have visit was a 'friend' and there is no way that that is going to happen anytime soon.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
There are special considerations for middle-class Dominicans that can prove that they will not stay in Canada beyond their date. They have to show they have a house, car, money in the bank for quite a period of time, etc., etc.

Also there are special rulings for those who are going to go to school and for relatives. I suppose I assumed that the person that the poster wanted to have visit was a 'friend' and there is no way that that is going to happen anytime soon.

You, my dear are talkng out of your posterior. It is a luck of the draw, gut instinct by the immigration person handling your case. My brother-in-law got turned down and he has money, a business, land, several houses...etc. Yet his much poorer young cousins got their VISA.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Money, house and good job doesn't guarantee a visitor's visa to Canada. Bob is one of the extremely few posters that had his female relatives come to Canada to study.

We had another female Dominican poster some time back that got a visitor visa but based on what other have posted, they seem to give males a harder time.

We do have a Dominican male on DR1 that did get a student visa about 5 years ago.

Bob so that I'm clear on this, your nieces applied for a student visa or a visitor visa?

To the OP

You'll find all the info HERE

Last edited:

hope1

May 5, 2007
I have a male Dominican adult unmarried friend of mine who has gotten a vistors visa and has come to Canada for three summers in a row and he came here when he was younger as well. If you can get into Canada once it seems it is much more likely that you can come again.
He has some kind of visitors visa for the US as well. Getting into Canada seems to be the more difficult task. He is not rich. From what I have read here on the DR1 it seems my friend is in a very lucky situation. I don't want to give false hope to people but I am just sharing my experience. I would hate for people to think that no one gets vistors visas when some people do.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Money, house and good job doesn't guarantee a visitor's visa to Canada. Bob is one of the extremely few posters that had his female relatives come to Canada to study.

We had another female Dominican poster some time back that got a visitor visa but based on what other have posted, they seem to give males a harder time.

We do have a Dominican male on DR1 that did get a student visa about 5 years ago and got it.

Bob so that I'm clear on this, your nieces applied for a student visa or a visitor visa?

To the OP

You'll find all the info HERE

Visitors Visa - anything less that a full university term is a visitor visa. Full time student is student visa.