Help with mamajuana repair.

Apr 8, 2005
Hello-

i've got a 1/4 full, 5yr old bottle that i made with rum, wine, honey. This being my 1st time trying this - of course it came out bitter. I'm ready to top it off and try once again to make a pleasing bottle of Juana ...... :knockedou

i've been reading a few of the posts on here for tips. So - my question is. should i do the 'cheap gin soak' for 6 weeks, toss it out, let the bark dry, then add rum, wine, honey ?????

i'm in the U.S.
Which brand rum, wine, honey works best?????

i wish i was at Playa Bavaro......... tasting Juana !!

Thanks .:p

Jan 5, 2006
If it was the first time, it is normal for it to be bitter, as the barks/roots, etc. are at their peak strength. You should pour out the remaining liquid and refill it with 80% Dominican rum (Brugal and Bermudez are widely available in the US), 10% red wine and 10% honey, then let it sit for 2 weeks. The results should not be as bitter as the first time, but they still won't be the sweet, mellow result that you might be expecting. It will take a few (2 or 3) more times doing this process, before you have a well cured mamajuna that produces consistently good results after being filled for 1 week.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
If it was the first time, it is normal for it to be bitter, as the barks/roots, etc. are at their peak strength. You should pour out the remaining liquid and refill it with 80% Dominican rum (Brugal and Bermudez are widely available in the US), 10% red wine and 10% honey, then let it sit for 2 weeks. The results should not be as bitter as the first time, but they still won't be the sweet, mellow result that you might be expecting. It will take a few (2 or 3) more times doing this process, before you have a well cured mamajuna that produces consistently good results after being filled for 1 week.
I agree, but I wouldn't waste my money and time on the proper mix yet.
I would give it another treatment or two with cheap gin or rum, until it stops tasting bitter.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
How many times can you refill the bottle before it "runs out of gas"?

Does filling it once and leaving it for 5 years...if I'm reading the OP correctly...have an impact on the contents for future use/refills?
I have found that my bottles are eternal and they seem to keep on getting better with time.
If you have some good mamajuana and you want to keep it for a long time, pour it out into an empty bottle or it will eventually become bitter, no matter how well cured your bottles are.

A

apostropheman

Good thinking!

So I can give some to my friends here, in their own personal bottles, and keep my original source all to myself!!!

Muchas gracias!!!
I have found that my bottles are eternal and they seem to keep on getting better with time.
If you have some good mamajuana and you want to keep it for a long time, pour it out into an empty bottle or it will eventually become bitter, no matter how well cured your bottles are.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The correct formula for mamajuana doesn't have any wine in it.

Just dump out whatever is in there, pour in three fingers of honey, and fill it the rest of the way with white rum.

That's how the locals do it.

You're welcome!
White rum?
I don't think so.
Cheap dark Brugal is the preferred choice.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
There are @ least 5 ways of making Mamajuana, and none are "incorrect". Please do a Google search, and realize there are a few variations, some even put raisins in the bottle!

Maybe Chip can get us the original Taino recipe from a cave somewhere and settle this!

tambo'

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
There are @ least 5 ways of making Mamajuana, and none are "incorrect".
Maybe Chip can get us the original Taino recipe from a cave somewhere and settle this!

tambo'
I've heard of some guys out Nagua way, putting oysters in.
You're right, of course, there's many ways of making it and I guess one could even do it with white rum, although I've never seen it done that way.

A

apostropheman

I have tried Mamajuana in most bars in Sosua, and many other places in the DR, but 4 really stand out as excellent.

Siempre Sol, on the Beach
Rocky's
La Passion
Domino's by Hotel Europa

All are different, some strong, some sweet but all taste great to me...even the ones made with wine :D

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Looks like we were posting the same thing almost simultaneously.
Have you ever tasted it?
Sounds really gross to me.
Don't want no fishies in my drinks, TYVM.

Yep, talk about an aphrodisiac!!! I am a seafood connoisseur so it tasted like heaven for me.

It is an acquired taste though.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Yep, talk about an aphrodisiac!!! I am a seafood connoisseur so it tasted like heaven for me.

It is an acquired taste though.
Not my cup of tea, but as long as you liked it, that's all that matters.
The Dominicans who told me about it, also claimed that it was quite the aphrodisiac.
Even if it's not true, it's a great excuse.
"Excuse me honey. I had a bit too much mamajuana and I'm really horny.
Would you mind?"

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Not my cup of tea, but as long as you liked it, that's all that matters.
The Dominicans who told me about it, also claimed that it was quite the aphrodisiac.
Even if it's not true, it's a great excuse.
"Excuse me honey. I had a bit too much mamajuana and I'm really horny.
Would you mind?"

Works all the time!!:p

Jan 5, 2006
Actually, what people used to put in mamajuana was a certain part of the male "carey"; which is sea turtle; for its supposedly aphrodisiac powers. Since it is now a protected species, people have switched to other seafood items.

BTW, as someone else pointed out, there is no correct recipe for mamajuana. It is a matter of personal taste, and the point of the entire curing process is to get the mamajuana to a point where you can put just plain rum in it, and enjoy. The wine, honey, raisins, etc. is just a way to try to speed up the process.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2005
Thanks folks for the great advice. I'm excited now. THis batch will taste better...and - the bark is 'eternal' . Woo hooh !!!!!

Buck69

Jul 29, 2004
I have a dominican friend in youngstown ohio and he said that he goes to ny and buys turtle penis to put in his mamajuana. Sometimes it can be difficult to find turtle penis in which case you can substitute beef jerkey.

-if dog rabbit-

Hello-

i've got a 1/4 full, 5yr old bottle that i made with rum, wine, honey. This being my 1st time trying this - of course it came out bitter. I'm ready to top it off and try once again to make a pleasing bottle of Juana ...... :knockedou

i've been reading a few of the posts on here for tips. So - my question is. should i do the 'cheap gin soak' for 6 weeks, toss it out, let the bark dry, then add rum, wine, honey ?????

i'm in the U.S.
Which brand rum, wine, honey works best?????

i wish i was at Playa Bavaro......... tasting Juana !!

Thanks .:p

My advise is stop with the wine and just use some Brugal and honey and definately no more wine, Come try my 8 year old bottle if you like it is great and I dont even like Mamajuana.