Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Help with mamajuana repair.

Hello-

i've got a 1/4 full, 5yr old bottle that i made with rum, wine, honey. This being my 1st time trying this - of course it came out bitter. I'm ready to top it off and try once again to make a pleasing bottle of Juana ......

i've been reading a few of the posts on here for tips. So - my question is. should i do the 'cheap gin soak' for 6 weeks, toss it out, let the bark dry, then add rum, wine, honey ?????

i'm in the U.S.
    Which brand rum, wine, honey works best?????

i wish i was at Playa Bavaro......... tasting Juana !!

Thanks .

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

If it was the first time, it is normal for it to be bitter, as the barks/roots, etc. are at their peak strength. You should pour out the remaining liquid and refill it with 80% Dominican rum (Brugal and Bermudez are widely available in the US), 10% red wine and 10% honey, then let it sit for 2 weeks. The results should not be as bitter as the first time, but they still won't be the sweet, mellow result that you might be expecting. It will take a few (2 or 3) more times doing this process, before you have a well cured mamajuna that produces consistently good results after being filled for 1 week.

apostropheman

How many times can you refill the bottle before it "runs out of gas"?

Does filling it once and leaving it for 5 years...if I'm reading the OP correctly...have an impact on the contents for future use/refills?

This is the recipe that I followed originally, although I have adapted things to suit my taste with trial and error.
    http://www.dominicancooking.com/foru...mamajuana.html

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hipocrito Mejia View Post
    If it was the first time, it is normal for it to be bitter, as the barks/roots, etc. are at their peak strength. You should pour out the remaining liquid and refill it with 80% Dominican rum (Brugal and Bermudez are widely available in the US), 10% red wine and 10% honey, then let it sit for 2 weeks. The results should not be as bitter as the first time, but they still won't be the sweet, mellow result that you might be expecting. It will take a few (2 or 3) more times doing this process, before you have a well cured mamajuna that produces consistently good results after being filled for 1 week.
    I agree, but I wouldn't waste my money and time on the proper mix yet.
    I would give it another treatment or two with cheap gin or rum, until it stops tasting bitter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by apostropheman View Post
    How many times can you refill the bottle before it "runs out of gas"?

Does filling it once and leaving it for 5 years...if I'm reading the OP correctly...have an impact on the contents for future use/refills?
    I have found that my bottles are eternal and they seem to keep on getting better with time.
    If you have some good mamajuana and you want to keep it for a long time, pour it out into an empty bottle or it will eventually become bitter, no matter how well cured your bottles are.

apostropheman

Thumbs up

Good thinking!

So I can give some to my friends here, in their own personal bottles, and keep my original source all to myself!!!

Muchas gracias!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    I have found that my bottles are eternal and they seem to keep on getting better with time.
    If you have some good mamajuana and you want to keep it for a long time, pour it out into an empty bottle or it will eventually become bitter, no matter how well cured your bottles are.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JDJones View Post
    The correct formula for mamajuana doesn't have any wine in it.

Just dump out whatever is in there, pour in three fingers of honey, and fill it the rest of the way with white rum.

That's how the locals do it.

You're welcome!
    White rum?
    I don't think so.
    Cheap dark Brugal is the preferred choice.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

There are @ least 5 ways of making Mamajuana, and none are "incorrect". Please do a Google search, and realize there are a few variations, some even put raisins in the bottle!

Maybe Chip can get us the original Taino recipe from a cave somewhere and settle this!

tambo'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tamborista View Post
    There are @ least 5 ways of making Mamajuana, and none are "incorrect".
    Maybe Chip can get us the original Taino recipe from a cave somewhere and settle this!

tambo'
    I've heard of some guys out Nagua way, putting oysters in.
    You're right, of course, there's many ways of making it and I guess one could even do it with white rum, although I've never seen it done that way.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I hear there are people that put seafood in it a well!!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast