Internet connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
So i have internet access at the apartment upstairs in the common area, but i cannot get it in my apartment which is downstairs.
How do i go about getting a signal in my apartment?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
So i have internet access at the apartment upstairs in the common area, but i cannot get it in my apartment which is downstairs.
How do i go about getting a signal in my apartment?
Could you give us more details please?
The connection you have in the common area.... is it yours? by wire? by wifi?
What does the apartment upstair describe?
Is it part of your apartment?
Somebody else's?
A common area in a condo complex?

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
Ok, so its a wifi connection.
The internet is owned by the guy that owns the apartment complex.
My apartment is on a lower floor that the main common area and so picks up no signal. The are apartments higher that dont get a signal either.
But i want to be able to get a signal in my apartment instead of coming upstairs all the time.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
My apartment is on a lower floor that the main common area and so picks up no signal. The are apartments higher that dont get a signal either.
But i want to be able to get a signal in my apartment instead of coming upstairs all the time.
There are antenna booster systems for your puter, but they can only do so much and you may land up spending a fair bit and still not have it work.
If the landlord is willing to add on an additional broadcast antenna that is more powerful than the present one, you would stand a much better chance of getting the signal in your apartment, than the first suggestion.
Additionally, if he is willing and capable, he could run a an ethernet cable down to your apartment.
You could then hook up by wire, or install your own wifi unit and have the signal throughout your apartment.
A decent brand wifi router only costs 50 bux or so.

A

apostropheman

If you have his permission then I'd think you should be able to connect.

It could be setup to be hidden and need a password.

In my apartment building I can see wifi from about 2 dozen sources mostly on other floors or in the neighbourhood...as there are only 8 units per floor...as well as the variety store accross the road and down the block. So being up or down a floor shouldn't necessarily make any difference.

Then again I'm not a wifi guru, just an inexperience but enthusiastic amateur :eek::D:bunny::bunny:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
If you have his permission then I'd think you should be able to connect.

It could be setup to be hidden and need a password.

In my apartment building I can see wifi from about 2 dozen sources mostly on other floors or in the neighbourhood...as there are only 8 units per floor...as well as the variety store accross the road and down the block. So being up or down a floor shouldn't necessarily make any difference.

Then again I'm not a wifi guru, just an inexperience but enthusiastic amateur :eek::D:bunny::bunny:
You missed the part about her connecting when she goes upstairs.
So she is able to hook up, but not as far away as her apartment downstairs.

A

apostropheman

oops, thanx
You missed the part about her connecting when she goes upstairs.
So she is able to hook up, but not as far away as her apartment downstairs.
Strange though unless the areas are really far apart. I'm in a poured concrete, steel reinforced building and can see tons of wifi networks available....and I'm 18 floors up :eek:

I guess I really need a siesta...it's nap time :D

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
oops, thanxStrange though unless the areas are really far apart. I'm in a poured concrete, steel reinforced building and can see tons of wifi networks available....and I'm 18 floors up :eek:

I guess I really need a siesta...it's nap time :D
It depends a lot on where the access point is located and how it bounces off various objects, specially concrete.
The signal won't penetrate concrete, so it can't go through a floor of a concrete apartment.
If the access point is placed near a window, the signal could easily bounce off of another object and come back at you, one floor down.

Status
Not open for further replies.