non international adoption

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
My wife is Dominican age 43 I am British age 71 we have been married 9 months. We wish to adopt a 2 year old girl who has been abandoned by her mother and is currently living with her great great grandmother, who is finding it heavy going. The child is the great niece of my wife. The mother never registered the birth of the child and says that even now she can not be bothered to and that we can do what we want with the child but says she would be prepared to sign any adoption papers. We live in the Republica Dominicana and intend to spend the rest of our lives here apart from annual visits to the UK. What and how do we do?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Go to Conani the adoption agency. They will give you a list of what you need to do. You can go via a lawyer but it is not really necessary. You will need a whole variety of things including a psychiatrist report, copies of your bank details, permission from the mother, a medical exam, can't remember the rest. It takes forever. In my casde when it was nearly over which took 2 years they lost all of the papers and it was too late to start again as one of my step children was nearly 18 so I gave up.

Good luck!!!

Apr 30, 2006
www.drlawyer.com
Adoptions in the Dominican Republic are governed by Law #136-03. All adoptions must be done through an official Dominican government entity called CONANI (?Consejo Nacional para la Ni?ez y la Adolescencia? - National Council for Children and Adolescents). Private adoptions are not possible under the Law, unless the adoption takes place within the family. All children are assigned to the adopting parents by CONANI.

Adoptions in the Dominican Republic are ?privileged,? meaning that the adopted child will have the same rights as a biological child in his or her new family. Adoptions are also irrevocable.

The adoption process is divided in two main phases:

a. Administrative Phase: A child will be assigned to the family by CONANI upon filing and approval of the adoptive parent's adoption dossier.

b. Judicial Phase: The attorney for the adopting parents must submit a petition to the Court with all the documentation. The Court will examine the documentation to ensure that all legal requirements have been met and will approve or reject the petition. If the file is incomplete, the Court may grant the petitioner ten days to complete the file.

The general requirements for a national adoption are the following:

(1) The adopting parents must be married, having lived together as a couple for at least five years, if one of them is a foreigner, and 3 years if they are both Dominicans,

(2) The adopting parents must be at least thirty years old and no more than sixty years old.

(3) The age difference between the adopting parents and the adopted child must be at least fifteen years.

(4) The child?s parents must consent to the adoption. In case of orphans, the authorization is obtained from the Court of Children and Adolescents (?Tribunal de Ni?os, Ni?as y Adolescentes.?)

(5) The adopting parents must live with the child in the Dominican Republic for at least sixty days. This period is reduced to thirty days if the child is twelve years old or older.

(6) Children twelve years old or more must approve their own adoption.

(7) The adopting parents? biological children who are twelve years old or older must give their opinion on the adoption

Total time for the adoption procedure varies. Most cases take from nine to twelve months, depending on the how fast the required documentation is obtained and on the availability of the adopting parents. Dominican families will be preferred to non-Dominican families. For more information

For more information on Dominican Adoptions please feel free to visit Guzman Ariza's overview on the matter at Dominican Adoptions. Even though it was prepared for international adoptions, most part of the process is very similar.

Regards,

Alfredo

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Thank you Alfredo, I have visited CONANI yesterday and have been told much the same as you have sent me but in much less detail. Unfortunately because of my age there would be problems. The child is , in fact, the grand daughter of my wife's sister and CONANI told me that when the time comes that the childs great grand mother is no longer able to look after the child an approach could be made to the Tribunal to enable the child to remain with blood family. We have much to discuss in the family. Thank you again. Best wishes.