Car prices

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Anyone have an idea of what a 2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara should sell for in the DR, assuming the car is in good shape with gas conversion.
Is this car good or bad in general?

Is there a link to cars for sale in the DR?

Thanks

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Anyone have an idea of what a 2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara should sell for in the DR, assuming the car is in good shape with gas conversion.

Thanks
I cannot come up with a precise figure without seeing the vehicle, knowing it's condition, and without knowing if it's an "as is" sale or from a reputable dealer who will fix up everything that is wrong with it.

In the absence of the actual model (there are 4) and the mileage, I went to a middle ground.
195,000 to 235,000.
These numbers are based on US retail value from a dealer with everything fixed up.
195k would be a great deal and 235k average.
Bear in mind that this is only a guideline.
If it is the top model and is incredibly good shape, has every option in the book and virtually no mileage, then it would be worth a fair bit more.
Conversely, if the opposite is true, it would be worth a fair bit less.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007

Thanks

Gr Vitara is decent vehicle. Especially stick shift, not automatic.

Used 2000 in DR probably beaten-up with high miles (do not even look at odometer) and with some interesting "history".

Anyway when going to a used car dealer have with you a mechanic (NOT DOMINICAN !!!!!!!!!!!) who knows how to see signs of accidents/repairs and who has paint thickness gauge (not a chep one but of good professional quality - Elcometer Duo or Positest F or 6000). A car may be shiny and with your eyes and "tooth pick" you cannot see nothing. But in reality it was in a dozen of huge accidents and thickness gauge will show you all painted parts and all the bondos under the paint.

Also let him have a good quality enginer scanner because many dominican dealers (some american as well) love to disconnect warning lights (remove bulbs) like "CHECK ENGINE" or "AIR BAG" or "BRAKES" or "ABS". A good scanner must show you these tricks.

You will be surprised to see that 95% cars that people try to sell are nothing but a bright shining polished junk.

Be extremelly careful please!!

P.S. I wouldn`t elaborate why your test-mechanic shouldn`t be DOMINICAN to avoid some heated angry confrontation here , just follow this advice - not dominican and not long time expat with good Spanish!!

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Thanks for your replies. If anyone (including red square people :) ) needs a carfax, let me know by PM.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
P.S. I wouldn`t elaborate why your test-mechanic shouldn`t be DOMINICAN to avoid some heated angry confrontation here , just follow this advice - not dominican and not long time expat with good Spanish!!
I totally disagree. I have come across a number of fine, honest and competant Dominican mechanics and technicians, easily on par with many of their Western counterparts.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
I totally disagree. I have come across a number of fine, honest and competant Dominican mechanics and technicians, easily on par with many of their Western counterparts.

It is NOT a matter of competence. A very different issue. Integrity. Like I said I wouldn`t elaborate. I have neither time nor interest to constantly fight some dishonest, greedy and profit motivated persons. It is more than enough that I share many years of professional experience, knowleage, insight and hints for free.

Those who do not want to listen and want instead to be defrauded - it is their own free choice.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Can we stick with answering the original question please and not argue with each other.

Thanks

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com

This is indeed a good place to start investigating and will also tell you a lot about which vehicles trade higher than others... meaning which are being appreciated more than others.
Yet, you should keep in mind that these are ASKING prices and that most DR-posters have not yet engaged in aggressive and competitive pricing. Haggling is expected, although the have a way to make foreigners to make feel like it wasn't.

... J-D.

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
Re haggling

When I lived in the (Y)UK I always haggled over the price of any car I bought. Using the faults & their repair costs to bring the price down.

Now sometimes you will find a faultless car ........ however most people know little about cars & if you point out a "fault" with enough conviction & the repair cost that will invariably get the price down.

NEVER pay the asking price.