Going to DR first time... Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

REC

Jul 6, 2008
I am going to the Dominican Republic for the first time. I am flying to Santiago but will go to Dajabon to meet someone coming from Haiti. Anyone knows where I can find directions from the Santiago Airport to Dajabon? Do they have reliable maps over there? Also from Dajabon where is the closest place with a nice beach?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
Cool. Dajabon is an interesting place, especially on market days.
It's always a better idea to bring your own map with you if at all possible.eaches,
If taking public transport from Santiago to Dajabon, the busses can be found leaving the Rotunda area of Santiago, on Avenida 27 de Febrero. A taxi from the airport will know the spot.
As far as beaches, I think Manzanillo(sp?) is your best bet. Have a great time!!

REC

Jul 6, 2008
Thanks fightfish for your suggestions. I will be renting a car to drive to dajabon. Will I be able to find map here in the US or will there be some available for purchase at the airport. I tried google map it does not work there.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
There is a spectacular beach in Monte Cristi, which I believe to be the closest beach to Dajabon.

MonteCristi64.jpg

MonteCristi66.jpg

MonteCristi68.jpg

MonteCristi76.jpg

MonteCristi145.jpg

MonteCristi153.jpg

MonteCristi157.jpg

MonteCristi240.jpg

MonteCristi258.jpg

What more could a person ask for?

bart6

Aug 17, 2007
bought the best DR map i have seen at Borders Bookstore in NY. try there or Barnes and Noble

REC

Jul 6, 2008
Thank you guys for your tips.. Specially Rocky for sharing the picks. This is a wonderful place, I will definitely go there. I will post something here when I come back and hopefully that will be helpful to other first time visitors.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I do not think I would do that.
I was in
Dajabon last week.
The road between Montecristi and Dajabon is in terrible shape according to local sources, and the buses use a route that goes through Mao->Santiago Rodriguez->Los Almacigos->
Dajabon.
There are at least six army check points that require you to stop and be searched for illegal Haitians. If you miss one of them, they have huge nailed boards to trhow in the road and ruin your day.

Better make arrangements for your friend to meet you in Santiago, at the Caribe Tour station. Then you can take a trip to Sosua or any other beach.

You trip sounds nice, but unless you know this country, I would not advise it.

In fact, unless you have driven here a lot, I do not advise renting a vehicle, but rather make arrangements to rent a car and driver or use public transportation and local taxis. For a newbie, it is just as fast, a lot more fun and a whole heck of a lot safer and hassle free..

think about it.

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I do not think I would do that.
I was in
Dajabon last week.
The road between Montecristi and Dajabon is in terrible shape according to local sources, and the buses use a route that goes through Mao->Santiago Rodriguez->Los Almacigos->
Dajabon.
There are at least six army check points that require you to stop and be searched for illegal Haitians. If you miss one of them, they have huge nailed boards to trhow in the road and ruin your day.

Better make arrangements for your friend to meet you in Santiago, at the Caribe Tour station. Then you can take a trip to Sosua or any other beach.

You trip sounds nice, but unless you know this country, I would not advise it.

In fact, unless you have driven here a lot, I do not advise renting a vehicle, but rather make arrangements to rent a car and driver or use public transportation and local taxis. For a newbie, it is just as fast, a lot more fun and a whole heck of a lot safer and hassle free..

think about it.

HB

Status
Not open for further replies.