piano

Status
Not open for further replies.

ben oregon

Apr 20, 2008
Is it better to bring a piano from the usa? or easier to buy one at the DR? I will be living in Sosua .

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
In SD you can buy new pianos here.

Plaza Melodias
Edificio Galerias Comerciales
Av.27 Febrero No.54

809-472-8464
Ask for Soviesky

dreamsource

Jul 29, 2007
Seconding what JD says...

As a musician, I have two observations...

First the climate is indeed challenging to wooden instruments....
Second, shipping costs to the DR are steep. If it doesn't fit in a suitcase, or as carry on luggage, I'd rather not take the chance or absorb the financial hit.

A good, natural feeling digital is probably your best bet.

hicksy

Nov 25, 2005
I imported in my container a Baldwin Grand Piano to Sosua. Since I have residencia, I was barely taxed for it as it came under household goods. Prior to leaving Canada, and a dryer climate, I checked with the Baldwin Piano store with regards to the increase in humidity.

The expert there said, going from a dry climate to a humid climate will pose no problems, however, he said if I should move back to a dry climate it can NEVER go back. It has sat now in one place from the time it was uncrated 8 months ago and I'm truly shocked that it has stayed in tune.............since it was moved in Canada.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I imported in my container a Baldwin Grand Piano to Sosua. Since I have residencia, I was barely taxed for it as it came under household goods. Prior to leaving Canada, and a dryer climate, I checked with the Baldwin Piano store with regards to the increase in humidity.

The expert there said, going from a dry climate to a humid climate will pose no problems, however, he said if I should move back to a dry climate it can NEVER go back. It has sat now in one place from the time it was uncrated 8 months ago and I'm truly shocked that it has stayed in tune.............since it was moved in Canada.
This makes perfect sense.
I have seen the results of the opposite, going from humid to dry and it's almost guaranteed to bust up the wood.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I'm reserching for the tel. number of " Exequiel Piano " this guy buy, sell and do all repairs must be done on broken pianos. I think he live in Hoya del Caimito Santiago.

JJ.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
check with the National Conservatory of Music in Santo Domingo (from my sources here in the US at the Peabody Conservatory of Music). i also play piano...

good luck..

Aug 21, 2007
In SD you can buy new pianos here.

Plaza Melodias
Edificio Galerias Comerciales
Av.27 Febrero No.54

809-472-8464
Ask for Soviesky

Does this person speak English? I am currently in the US and would like to call him to find out what pianos they sell (brands and types) and the cost before getting rid of my baby grand here and opting for purchasing one in the DR.

Also do they sell electronic keyboards? That, too, might be an option for me.

Thanks-
Lindsey

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Does this person speak English? I am currently in the US and would like to call him to find out what pianos they sell (brands and types) and the cost before getting rid of my baby grand here and opting for purchasing one in the DR.

Also do they sell electronic keyboards? That, too, might be an option for me.

Thanks-
Lindsey

Yes and yes.

ben oregon

Apr 20, 2008
nothing againts digital ,but i'll take my chances with a classic one any time !! even in a humide climat.Materials stored for a longer period of time should be better adapt for a good tune up .

Aug 21, 2007
With all the above comments, I am now debating on whether to buy a digital keyboard or a classic piano. I would be interested in hearing comments from those who have a classic piano concerning the observed effects on your piano of the humidity of the DR. Do all the warnings really play out? What have your experiences been? Or are the warnings hypothetical?

And, for you digital enthusiasts, how has our variable electricity affected your keyboard? And, when you needed repairs, how did that go?

I appreciate hearing your experiences.

Thanks-
Lindsey

ben oregon

Apr 20, 2008
after some research in the USA, they adviced me to set a "damp chaser" 25wats heating element in the bottom of the piano to remove the humidity out.It has to be set properly by a professional in the buttom of the piano.Set in the wrong spot/way will destroy the piano!

Aug 21, 2007
Keyboard vs. Piano

after some research in the USA, they adviced me to set a "damp chaser" 25wats heating element in the bottom of the piano to remove the humidity out.It has to be set properly by a professional in the buttom of the piano.Set in the wrong spot/way will destroy the piano!

I received the same advice. Having had some bad experience with workmanship in the DR, I am reluctant to have someone place a "damp chaser" in a new piano I would buy.

Thus, after receiving several PM's with good advice, I think I have opted for an electronic keyboard with weighted keys.

I plan on buying it in the US and having it shipped down along with a stand and amp. I am a bit apprehensive about the final costs of shipping and duties, but I am going to take my chances.

After the transaction is complete and I receive the goods, I will report on final costs as they compare with purchasing in the DR.

Status
Not open for further replies.