photographer

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmyH

Dec 5, 2006
I am getting married Jan 7, 2009 at Barcelo Puerto Plata and I am looking for a photographer the hotel does provide one but they are expensive I was wanting to find a local photographer that can hopefully save me some money.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I am getting married Jan 7, 2009 at Barcelo Puerto Plata and I am looking for a photographer the hotel does provide one but they are expensive I was wanting to find a local photographer that can hopefully save me some money.
How much does the hotel's photographer charge?

AmyH

Dec 5, 2006
Included in the package I get 24 pictures. For an extra 25 pictures on a dvd it is $300.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Included in the package I get 24 pictures. For an extra 25 pictures on a dvd it is $300.
That sounds reasonable to me, assuming it's a pro photographer, however I'm not the one spending the money, so my opinion matters little.
I did think however if you posted the cost, that any other photographer who might be interested, would know that he/she has to undercut that price, so hopefully someone will respond.
Good luck.

Dafishguy

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007

How much is the "Package" price. I assume this is the starting price to get the photographer to show up and provide 24 shots. Am I right?

AmyH

Dec 5, 2006
No the package is $1695 and it does include 24 pictures for an extra 25 pictures on a disc it is $300

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
No the package is $1695 and it does include 24 pictures for an extra 25 pictures on a disc it is $300

This sounds quite high to me based on what we paid for our marriage and allowing for inflation etc. I think you shouls easily be able to find someone for half, if you can look people up in the phonebook and give them a call. I wouldn't mind doing this for you but am out of the country at this point.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006

From my own experience, the hotel will not discount your package price should you choose to provide your own photographer.

If they are giving you 24 for free....25 extra for $300 is not a bad price.

The one important question you should ask is what do the first 24 pictures include.

I know from attending a wedding at Gran Ventana in jan 06 and having my own at VIVA Wyndham in March 08...they dont mention that there is a certain point in the day where the free pics end.

In both cases the first set of pictures were only from getting ready in the room up to the ceremony itself.

Any individual photos of the couple, beach shots, sunsets, etc. are the ones that you have to pay extra for (and they make you pose for these for quite awhile).

To avoid being taken advantage of, be sure you understand at what point the free pics stop & the chargeable ones begin.

I don't have any experience with weddings at the Barcelo but it seems to be the same photographer company at most of the hotels.

At my wedding the photographer was fantastic and she did say all photos until the champagne toast are free. Extra pics were $10 each (minimum of 5) and came on a cd (we didn't buy any).

They do take beautiful pictures, edit them on site, let you choose before you go home etc... so as long as you know what to expect it may still be the best option.

I was lucky enough to have 2 guests with superb cameras taking pictures as well. We used the hotel photographer to set up the shots & then had our personal photographer take pics...sometimes the photographer even took pictures for us using our cameras.

They do know exactly the best way to set up the shot on the beach so that you cant see a lounge chair, garbage can, volleyball net etc and get the best lighting.

Once we came home, we had our own pictures edited & printed. Saved a ton of money & came out with professional shots.

Just some ideas & advice...
Sangria

dcblue

Jul 21, 2008
Photographer

Hi Amy,

I am a US based photographer who will be spending January and February in Cabarete. I'm not sure what you are looking for as part of your package but I'm definitely open to customizing a package. My assistant will be a local Dominican. You can check out my work site at Washington DC Photographers, Wedding Photography, Commercial Photographers and send me an email thru the site if you're interested in discussing further.

Renee

dcblue

Jul 21, 2008
website correction

Not sure why it listed the tags for my site. The link works but it's actually www reneecobbphotography .com (added spaces so you could see it).

Renee

Status
Not open for further replies.