Dangerous!!

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
So, I was out in Puerto Plata on Saturday night at a rancho tipico place that i have been to many times and never seen much trouble. And as i arrived, a lot of people were coming out. I thought this was pretty unusual as it was fairly early but it looked just as if the place was closing. Then a huge guy walked past me and grabbed a huge plank of wood from the floor and stood near a wall as if waiting (or looking) for trouble. Right then i got a little worried and started backing away some. Luckily the people i was meeting arrived and we were talking about how odd things where....then it all kicked off!!! Gun shots were fired, bottled were thrown, knives were out. There was a massive brawl in the street! I have never been more scared and very quickly ran for cover. Thankfully a motoconcho picked us up and told us to jump on quick as it was far from safe and the police were on the way.

Then Sunday night, I was in Puerto Plata at the fair type of thing enjoying watching Tulile when another fight breaks out in the middle of the crowd. Bottles went flying and again numerous knives and whatever were soon out. I mean, come on, there were so many kids around and people just enjoying themselves, but a huge fight broke out. To be fair this one was restrained pretty quickly but still.

My question is, have i just been lucky to not witness stuff like this since ive been here or is this place getting more and more dangerous recently?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I don't think Puerto Plata rates as an alltime caliente location but I do think feelings were running a bit high at the weekend because of the diesel price increases which came into effect Friday midnight. That coupled with the heat & prolonged blackouts in some areas might have exacerbated the aggro & it went out of control when alcohol got added to the mix, maybe?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Where there is a large crowd of people consuming alcohol, there is always danger.
It's always been that way, to the best of my recollection.
As carrying guns is more common now, I perceive it as being potentially more fatal.
The higher the concentration of locals, the more dangerous it becomes.
Tourists are not armed, nor looking for trouble.
If you "must" go these places and something breaks out, always try to keep your back to the wall.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Allow me to add something...

This is the oldest trick Merengue bands have played for years. Now, I am not 100% sure if this is what happened in your case (in the Tulile concert) but what they do is they hire "tigueres" to start fights in the middle of their concerts so they stop playing, cancel the event and go play elsewhere. I know someone that used to do this for El Jeffry and allowed the artist to play more venues and collect more cash. Didn't work everytime but it is an interesting thing they do.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006

This is the oldest trick Merengue bands have played for years. Now, I am not 100% sure if this is what happened in your case (in the Tulile concert) but what they do is they hire "tigueres" to start fights in the middle of their concerts so they stop playing, cancel the event and go play elsewhere. I know someone that used to do this for El Jeffry and allowed the artist to play more venues and collect more cash. Didn't work everytime but it is an interesting thing they do.

Johnny Ventura was also famous for this, but I dont think this was the case in this instance, the fact that they there were gunshots accounts for a far more dangerous event. When going to places, I suggest you investigate prior to going to see if this kind of things happens frequently, I for instance only go to places where there is not know fights for a year or 2 in that place. Also look out for security agents, it is a sign that the place doesn't have many "pleitos".

Last edited:

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com

Wow..this gives new meaning to "double-booking". I can'r believe this really goes on...not that I don't believe it, just that I "don't believe it" as in OYE VEY!! :bunny:

As for the heat, blackouts, price of diesel, etc. being the culprit...I'd say it's more likely just the brugal, presidente and testosterone...

While at the Carnaval in La Vega this past Feb, I saw three separate and nasty fights breakout...all after a long hot day of drinking...

The last 3 times I have been to Classico's in Sosua...and this is spread out over about 5-6 months, there have been huge brawls that started upstairs and came clamouring down the stairwell...

I just look at it as part of the night's entertainment...observed from beneath or behind an object larger than myself...