DR's Government and corruption.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Es que yo soy partidario Chip de que a los policias se le suba el sueldo.

Are you kidding me?
The judicial branch has always been labeled as DR's most corrupt.

What you may not know is that this group that you are defending
think that they re above the law and think that they are living in
the "wild west".

Do you know how many innocent people die daily at the hands of these
cowboys?

Do you know how many crooks and assassins gets to walk free
because they know or are in bed with a higher ranking individual?

Do you know how many cases there has been where a lieutenant sees
a vehicle that he likes and finds a way to seize that person's property
just because it is something he wants for himself?

Do you know how many times cops would stop a drunk driver only to
ask the driver if he has an extra bottle for them?

Do you know how many innocent men have been shot cold by cops
only so that they can be with that man's wife/gf ?

When Leonel took over, he raised cops wages. I agree that they
should get pay more than what they officially get paid but in this
branch is hard to control because these cops think holding a badge
and a gun is like holding a passport to kill.

When teachers and doctors want more money they march, protest and
go on strikes.

Have you ever seen cops do any of the above?

They are the enforcers of corruptions.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Mr DR, no doubt the police force has serious problems of corruption, however, I don't know if the politicians are any better.

We recognize there is a problem with both but as far as the police corruption goes, I think a lot could be resolved by paying them better than cleaning ladies for one. For example, I have family that are police and it is scanadlous how much they make, RD5k for a sergeant with 5 years of service(by what I have been told).

The problem is that even if these young policeman start out good, over time they will be corrupted just to be able to pay the bills. What we need to do is pay them what they deserve, offer amnesty for some types of past abuses and then let them know from now on abuses and corruption will not be acceptable and in fact they will be prosecuted. Over time as people will begin to trust the police more and they will begin to work more effectively.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Hello, MR_Dr, I think you are Dominican like me so we can share a bit in our perspective on things.

First off the police department doesn't belong to the judicial branch, it belongs to the executive branch, as it is the Procuradoria, it is not the Judicial Branch. The judicial branch is governed by the Suprema Corte de Justicia.

Second, do you think that a policeman risking his life in Capotillo or Gualey at 11:00 PM should be earning 8,000 Pesos per month??? what would that police officer think when all hell break loose? put order or save his life?? try to guess.

I see you are blaming the cops on crooks walking away of jails, don't you know how the system is conceived?? that the fiscal should provide proof to the judge?? that if the fiscal doesn't provide that it isn't the cops fault?.

I know that there is corruption at the police level, but what do you think they have to do when they are earning pennies to risk their lives?? About the innocents man killed by their hands you should first provide some proof or links before making that kind of accusation, one thing is rumors that you heard by people in the streets and another thing is to confirm something, and make accusations based on that rumours so please, I beg you to do a little more research before making an statement like that.

Keep in mind Mr_DR that I agree 100% with you in the High Speed train to Santiago thread.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hello, MR_Dr, I think you are Dominican like me so we can share a bit in our perspective on things.

First off the police department doesn't belong to the judicial branch, it belongs to the executive branch, as it is the Procuradoria, it is not the Judicial Branch. The judicial branch is governed by the Suprema Corte de Justicia.

Second, do you think that a policeman risking his life in Capotillo or Gualey at 11:00 PM should be earning 8,000 Pesos per month??? what would that police officer think when all hell break loose? put order or save his life?? try to guess.

I see you are blaming the cops on crooks walking away of jails, don't you know how the system is conceived?? that the fiscal should provide proof to the judge?? that if the fiscal doesn't provide that it isn't the cops fault?.

I know that there is corruption at the police level, but what do you think they have to do when they are earning pennies to risk their lives?? About the innocents man killed by their hands you should first provide some proof or links before making that kind of accusation, one thing is rumors that you heard by people in the streets and another thing is to confirm something, and make accusations based on that rumours so please, I beg you to do a little more research before making an statement like that.

Keep in mind Mr_DR that I agree 100% with you in the High Speed train to Santiago thread.
I didn't know that, and I would have guessed, as Mr_DR did, that the cops were part of the justice system, but it's just semantics anyhow.
We all know what he meant.
He was and is pointing out that the cops are the greatest part of the corruption system, which wouldn't work without them being corrupt, or they would be out there busting the corrupt people in politics.

Paying the cops higher salaries, may or may not help, but the contention that the money should be taken from the politicians and given to the cops is so absurd, that it doesn't warrant debate.

Bayx-**

May 30, 2008
Dear Mr_DR
I understand you are trying to make a point and I think with get it. I do think that cops should get a better salary weather is going to make a change or not. I don't know how anybody could survive on a $5,000 pesos salary.

I know that the ficales are way more corrupt than cops. When it comes to justice they are the one making the decisions and believe me they don't do a good job. Weather you have proof or not it's all up to them if a case is going to move forward or not.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Dear Mr_DR
I understand you are trying to make a point and I think with get it. I do think that cops should get a better salary weather is going to make a change or not. I don't know how anybody could survive on a $5,000 pesos salary.

I know that the ficales are way more corrupt than cops. When it comes to justice they are the one making the decisions and believe me they don't do a good job. Weather you have proof or not it's all up to them if a case is going to move forward or not.
That figure is not accurate.
Even the lowest ranked beginner cops make more than that.
More importantly, do you think that doubling their salaries would stop corruption?

Bayx-**

May 30, 2008
That figure is not accurate.
Even the lowest ranked beginner cops make more than that.
More importantly, do you think that doubling their salaries would stop corruption?

Sorry, that's what I was told they make. No I don't think doubling their salaries would make a different, but they are not all the same. I just think they are not making a decent salary. There are lot of other Dominicans with no education of training making way more then they do.

It's fair?

Do you know for fact how much they make?

What do you think is a fair salary for a Cop?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Sorry, that's what I was told they make. No I don't think doubling their salaries would make a different, but they are not all the same. I just think they are not making a decent salary. There are lot of other Dominicans with no education of training making way more then they do.

It's fair?

Do you know for fact how much they make?

What do you think is a fair salary for a Cop?
It matters little what I think would be a fair salary.
That is not the discussion at hand.
You agree with the majority here that doubling their salaries would not lower corruption and that is the topic that is at the source of this thread.
(This thread was born from another, that was discussing in part, lowering the politician's salaries in order to pay the cops more and the premise being that this would somehow stop or lower corruption)

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I didn't know that, and I would have guessed, as Mr_DR did, that the cops were part of the justice system, but it's just semantics anyhow.
We all know what he meant.
He was and is pointing out that the cops are the greatest part of the corruption system, which wouldn't work without them being corrupt, or they would be out there busting the corrupt people in politics.

Paying the cops higher salaries, may or may not help, but the contention that the money should be taken from the politicians and given to the cops is so absurd, that it doesn't warrant debate.

I want to be quoted saying that the money should be taken from the higher levels of the administration, in fact I debated this with heat in the High Speed Train thread, i am NOT in favor of reducing funcionarios salary.

I made the correction about the branchs because accusations can be made to one instance when in reality that instance doesn't have anything to do with the Police Force or the Procuradoria.

Yes cops are corrupt, but they earn from 6,000 pesos to 18,000 pesos (Mayor General), I tell you this because I personally know cops and this figures are their salaries, that isn't enough incentive for them to risk their lives and do their jobs, they steal money but in lower quantities, I mean a cop could take bribes of 50 or 100 pesos and take in total 1500 pesos that he have to share with his companion daily, that's nothing to the level of CORRUPTION that is seen in other instances of the government. Besides those cops aren't nearly trained as how to act in a dangerous situation or event so I think a mayor revamp including at least a 50% increase of the salary would be very beneficial to the Police Force and the population in general.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002

Good for them!!!

The fact that it is taking a fellow citizen from the private sector to fight for them
should automatically give you a clue as to how corrupt they are.

Have you ever hear the saying that goes " the one that is stabbed is the one feeling the pain" ? Why can't they fight for themselves when it be for their own good?

If i was Leonel, I would agree to raise their pays but i would be much more strictly and would tell them that corruption will not be tolerated.

I would make sure that the national police go through a complete overhaul at whatever the cost. I would be firing members left to right until all bad apples are completely gone.

They just need to conduct a more thorough background and not hire individuals just because they are family or friend of someone.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002

100%

If they are not happy with the amount why don't they do something about it beside corruption? Doctors, teachers, students, drivers, and consumers do it.

Please don't tell me that you don't think that there are not occasions when somebody
is not arrested because of who they may know.

You being Dominican should know that much there is about "WHO YOU ARE and WHO YOU KNOW".

I have done my research, which is why i know it happens. Now you need to do yours before trying to tell yourself that it doesn't.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
I can tell you that many years ago in Puerto Rico, the police dept. were almost as corrupt as they are here, and received very low salaries. It was fairly common to receive requests for 'gifts' back then as well.

The more you pay a policeman, the higher you can set your standards for recruits, and the result will be more qualified members. But to give more money to some of the clowns on the force here now? Not too smart.

I can also tell you I wouldn't think about offering a bribe to a PR policeman today.

I am very sure that it took somebody with balls and determination to do a complete clean system clean up.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Back in WWII, I was sent to the Military Police School atBuckley Field, Colorado.
The course was only 6 weeks long, but packed with the type of training, n an abbreviated form, that all law enforcement candidates go through.
After that short course, I spent the next 6 months patrolling the streets of San Angelo, TX, doing guard duty on crashed aircraft, etc., etc.
Later, while attending the U. of Houston, I got the job of being a "Campus Cop". While that wasn't exactly police work, we did learn a lot more about traffic control, public relations, andhow not to hand out a ticket.
From what I have seen of theNational Police andtheAMET, they could all do with a bit of that type of training--IN DEPTH.
Ongoing training iswhat is needed, after the initial phase, of course.
I think one of themain problems is thatthe rookies just don't knowhow to do their job and the heirarchy could care less.
TB

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
right Bill,
and MR DR:
If they are not happy with the amount why don't they do something about it beside corruption? Doctors, teachers, students, drivers, and consumers do it.
do someWHAT about it?????
do you think non organized dominican low ranked police officers guarding a street check point for traffic on a simple crossing in Veron Punta Cana or Guerra/Bayaguana/Cruze de Guaguacanes can go "on the streets
and DO SOMETHING about it like some educated citizens like your mentioned doctors or such could do???
i really think it is time that you do your research or start to learn about this country's basics before slamming on poster which told you exactly the reality.
Mike

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Mr_DR what do you think will happen to a law and order force agent who must be loyal to the President of the Republic by law if they go to a strike?? What you suggest is very close to hillarious, you will never see a cop going on strike, eso es considerado rebelion y le dan de baja right away.

I agree with Texas Bill 100%.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Mr_DR what do you think will happen to a law and order force agent who must be loyal to the President of the Republic by law if they go to a strike?? What you suggest is very close to hillarious, you will never see a cop going on strike, eso es considerado rebelion y le dan de baja right away.

I agree with Texas Bill 100%.
That's your opinion. IMO, instead of getting fired they would make their statement much quicker. How do you think that a city will be able to function without law and order?

You thinking that a country could afford to fire their entire police force is hillarious.

They don't have to go on strike but they can for sure let their voices be heard in so many other ways.