Puerto Plata Power plant problem

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I was told by Edenorte today that much of the north coast is blacked out. Any word on the status of a problem with the generator?

Trying to call them is fruitless in such a situation.

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
We may just be in a normal off time

Thanks, we may just be in a normally scheduled off time right now that dovetailed with the general power outages.

buttons66

Oct 3, 2006
power

Puerto Plata was out most of the day from 3.00am till about 12-30pm and off again from 1.30pm till 8.30pm

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
They poison us with their exhaust from the planta then we get no power.
One day I will suffocate their children - see how Enron Directors like that!

I am more than a little unclear to what you refer... could you be a little more explicit please and preferably not allude to suffocating anyone's children? Many thanks.

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
have you not heard of the toxic black dust from the plantas in POP?

it's causing respiratory problems in children all over town.

makes me feel a whole lot better about smoking tho ....

you see it's all about respect ........ Enron have no respect for human life, but in the developed world they get sued if they poison the populace. However in the third world there isn't the awareness/money to sue them so they just abuse the locals & poison them.

it's the same with the tobacco companies - why do you think they are not bothered about the smoking restrictions in europe & north america? because they can just promote & sell more cigarettes in the third world.

Last edited:

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
don't get me wrong tho - i'm not some bleeding heart liberal, but i do have a keen sense of morality .......... would the Enron Board have THEIR local power stations emitting toxic dust & fumes near their homes?

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I was unaware of the toxic fumes to which you refer. Best leave it to those who are more knowledgeable than me.

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
Anyone that has been to OceanWorld Marina can attest to the black soot that settles on the boats there. Several owners rinse their boats each day to remove it.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Puerto Plata was out most of the day from 3.00am till about 12-30pm and off again from 1.30pm till 8.30pm

This might have been true for parts of Puerto Plata. In our part the outtage was only about 4 hours, certainly not 16 hours.

would the Enron Board have THEIR local power stations emitting toxic dust & fumes near their homes?

ffritz, why are you referring to it as Enron? Enron sold out some 16 months ago. Generadora San Felipe is owned by AEI (Ashmore International Energy), a British company. See Smith Enron has new name and owners
DR1 - Daily News Monday, 19 March 2007

I hope you all joined last Saturday's combined Junta de Vecinos meeting (Costambar, El Javilar & Cafemba) to plan action protesting the contamination?
Puerto Plata Digital

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Edenorte problem today

Anyone here about the failure of the power lines near Playa Dorada today?

When we call, they say they are working on it, but no schedule for repair.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Just as I entered the question

Just as I entered the question about the problem. Power returned.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Power out again - Sosua/Cabarete area

My joy at having power restored yesterday was short lived. Calls to Edenorte only illicit the response that there is a problem with the voltage, which I already knew or I wouldn't be calling. Can anyone "shed any light":ermm: on what the current problem actually is?

Anyone else in the Sosua/Cabarete without power last night and thus far today?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
According to this some areas are having 8 to 20 hour blackouts.
Puerto Plata Digital
Just spoken to a friend in Gaspar Hernandez & they're getting 20 hour blackouts.

Those wishing to join their Dominican brothers and sisters in a peaceful picket about this should go to Edenorte offices in Puerto Plata (on Beller) on Wednesday at 10.00 am. If you have never joined in a Dominican demo here is your chance. The picket is being organised by FUNTRAPP - not a seedy night club but the Federaci?n Unitaria de Trabajadores de Puerto Plata ;).

Periodico El Faro - Funtrapp convoca piquete contra abusos Edenorte

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Lets hope something good comes of it

According to this some areas are having 8 to 20 hour blackouts.
Puerto Plata Digital
Just spoken to a friend in Gaspar Hernandez & they're getting 20 hour blackouts.

Those wishing to join their Dominican brothers and sisters in a peaceful picket about this should go to Edenorte offices in Puerto Plata (on Beller) on Wednesday at 10.00 am. If you have never joined in a Dominican demo here is your chance. The picket is being organised by FUNTRAPP - not a seedy night club but the Federaci?n Unitaria de Trabajadores de Puerto Plata ;).

Periodico El Faro - Funtrapp convoca piquete contra abusos Edenorte

I hope no one is hurt and something good, like 24/7 power comes out of this. (I can dream, can't I? )

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I hope no one is hurt and something good, like 24/7 power comes out of this. (I can dream, can't I? )

:laugh: I think Brother Ram?rez (secretary of FUNTRAPP) runs a fairly tight ship - certainly there is no intention for hurt or damage. Just posters, voices, etc. Not a good day for anyone to try paying bills though - the idea is to picket entry to the offices.

If you get told that Edenorte work crews were working on the problem this morning, I'd be sceptical. I went past Edenorte offices at 10.45 am - the biggest collection of Edenorte repair trucks I've ever seen was parked outside, 9 in total, complete with their 2 man crews. The guys were sat on the pavement chatting - it almost looked like the workers were on strike. Whatever they were doing they weren't repairing breakdowns! Normally at that time of day you might get one or maybe even 2 trucks outside, but never 9.

Various other areas are planning either pickets, marches or strikes next week, for example Salcedo and Tenares
El Nacional, la voz de todos
and there was a report in yesterday's DR1 News about protests in parts of Santiago.

peteclaffey

Apr 30, 2006
I do hope its more peaceful than the demo I witnessed last year , my wife and I were tear gassed for just passing by, a few get a little "carried away "