children's safety

iowamom

May 10, 2008
thanks to everyone posting their experiences and suggestions.

i currently live in the states and i'm used to midwest living where i can afford to be a bit naive. i'm moving to northern part of the d.r. (business is taking us there) with my boyfriend and 6-year old son. we will be living in a guarded, but not 100% gated living. my greatest concern is my son's safety. i'm almost consumed by the thoughts of what may happen.

can someone offer their experiences, suggestions, etc.?
where it's safe to take kids ie parks, beaches, markets...

iowamom

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Welcome to DR1 and to the DR when you move here. :)

What is it you are specifically worried about? He's 6 so drugs and girlfriends probably not yet a concern :cheeky:. Kidnapping? Not very likely. Sexual molestation? Not very likely. Getting run over by a careless driver? Possibly. But if you're an averagely capable mother you would protect him when crossing the road. Getting bitten by a dog? No more likely than anywhere else. Drowning? Again, you would be keeping an eye on your child on the beach. Fights with other kids? Happens the world over. Mass shooting at school? Not happened so far. All parks, beaches, markets you go to would be ok for your son, too. Dominicans are a lot more child friendly than some of the more developed world. He shouldn't go into some barrios at nightime, but then, neither should you.

What is it exactly which is 'consuming' you? And is your question about your child or yourself? To those of us who have lived here any length of time the question about children seems a little odd. If you read the various threads I think you'll find the consensus view that children are a lot safer here than some other countries. But until we know what your concern is, it is quite difficult to help you. Sounds to me like we might need to dispel some myths but we don't know which ones you've heard ;).

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A lot has to do with where you live and with whom you associate.

Just be normal, since you'll probably be sending the little guy to school.

HB

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
Dominicans love children. I would trust almost any Dom. neighborhood before any in the US. If he is hurt or scared he can go to any house and they will help. If a child is crying everyone come to see what is wrong. You have to be concerned but only a little.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
But realistically, he may just enjoy the heck out of life in the new environment ...[/QUOTE]

Hopefully this will be the outcome!

Best of luck to you.

DanaP

May 23, 2007
I relocated to the southcoast within the last year with my 6 year old son from rural VT, so I can relate with your concerns. I am currently back in the states with my son and have noticed that I am far more concerned about strangers, traffic, keeping a constant eye of my son, allowing him to venture off alone, implementing safety rules etc... than i have been in the DR.

It is true that Dominicans are more kid friendly than around here and they have a million kids of their own so you don't really have to worry about someone trying to steal them. I'd say that the people will not be your worst worry, it will be other elements that are just different here. Depending on the location I am much more cautious about roads & traffic, they drive crazy especially at night. But mostly I have to be more cautious about where my son plays in regards to germs (wash hands often!!!), garbage, broken glass and other random hazards you might not consider in the states. Oh & the stray dogs, I've had no problems but certainly have taught my son to steer clear.

As far as healthcare is concerned, I've had good luck with the providers in the DR but it's a bit confusing and stressful at times if you don't speak spanish. I've found I just get a bit more paranoid in the DR about regular illness. I'd recommend getting all suggested vaccinations and stock up on any prescriptions and medicines ahead of time (i.e. tylenol, cold medicine, allergy med's, flouride, kids toothpaste, neosporin, band-aids, wound treatment). Much of this stuff you can find but it may not be easy to find or possibly expensive. I've gotten vaccinations in the DR as well, it's easy and inexpensive.

What else....I'm sure there is more that I haven't thought of. Feel free to PM me with any other questions. You shouldn't really worry too much, just be thoughtful, do your research and do as much as you can before you move but you'll be fine & I hope your child loves it as much as mine!!

buena suerte, d