Can I open a bank account with a UK address?

clarkski

Feb 18, 2008
I am planning on moving to the Dominican next year and am thinking about opening a bank account on my next visit before I move, so I can send money over in advance. Does any know if I will be able to open a bank account in DR with a UK address?

Thanks.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I am confused, are you moving to The Dominican or The DR?
The proper name is The Dominican Republic, often abbreviated to DR.

You need to put some sort of "local" address on the account, a hotel or a PO Box, don't worry you will have a passbook on the account.

Check this thread here for details on opening the account...substitute UK for USA!

http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/77037-opening-bank-account-usa-passport-id.html

tambo'

buttons66

Oct 3, 2006
bank account

You will need a reference from your own bank account in England to open a bank account here.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i'd say, can you open a bank account in UK with a foreign passport? in the theory you can but practice is slightly different.
same here, in theory you can open an account with UK/USA/whatever passport but in practice it depends on a bank, on a branch, on a manager, on a person you will talk to.
you'll have to keep on trying. (and have some more papers than just passport, btw).

buttons66

Oct 3, 2006
August

We moved over here from the UK last August, we went to 3 different banks here and were asked the same question, "do you have a reference from your UK bank"?
We didn't - but what we did have was a peso account with BanReserves from 5 years ago, we asked them if we could open a Dollar account, and without a flicker they said yes with $300.
We have our accounts.

elton

My thread snapped!
Jul 1, 2008
which bank are you planning to use- some seem to require different things ( so its best to check exactly what they need)banco santa cruz was good for me but they dont have as many branches as others-to transfer money you will need copies of your statements showing the money in your account then being taken out also a letter from your bank in uk saying how long you held your account and how much is it it etc.why would you want to open it with a uk address if you are moving here by the way...you probably wont get statements sent out

buttons66

Oct 3, 2006
UK address

We opened our first peso account with BanReserves 5 years ago, when we were on holiday in Playa Dorada, using our UK address.

elton

My thread snapped!
Jul 1, 2008
it can be opened in a day with the right paperwork...which bank took a month

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
I opened a peso account at Progresso iin Puerto Plata in a day with just my UK passport.

I did have an address in the Dominican Republic although I believe you can put any address in the DR, even a hotel, as they don't send out statements.

You can either have a paper account book which shows all transactions or a debit card and request statements as and when you need them.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Yes elton & daydream, I concur. I've taken people to my bank manager whom I've known 15 years, & she has opened an account for them straight away - took about 30 mins. All they needed was the passport & the cash they were opening the account with. I apparently acted in lieu of a reference from a UK bank.

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
We did it in minutes 5 years ago, but it is much trickier nowadays because of the extra checks. A friend was told by BanReservas it would take a month, & he's been resident here for 2 years.

clarkski

Feb 18, 2008
Thanks for all the posts. They are very helpful.

I have no idea what bank I am going to go for. R any better than others?

clarkski

Feb 18, 2008
No Bank Statements Sent

I opened a peso account at Progresso iin Puerto Plata in a day with just my UK passport.

I did have an address in the Dominican Republic although I believe you can put any address in the DR, even a hotel, as they don't send out statements.

You can either have a paper account book which shows all transactions or a debit card and request statements as and when you need them.

What do they do if they dont sent statements? Just up date ur pass book when ur in?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
What do they do if they dont sent statements? Just up date ur pass book when ur in?

It depends on the bank - probably there are different proceedures for different banks. I get monthly statements on my current (cheque) account; whereas with my savings accounts, details are entered in the pass book. It's all logged in the computer for all 3 of the accounts I have (& anybody else has!).

clarkski

Feb 18, 2008
Any idea if the banks in the Dominican do On Line Banking?

Whats the standard charges for having an account?

Thanks for the help. I love this web site.

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
The Dominican Republic.........

I am sure the feeling is mutual if you learn to call it the Dominican REPUBLIC or DR for short.

;)

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

Approx ?1 a month in your currency for a current account plus 50p Government tax. Savings accounts no obvious charge (they pay you interest). Keep them open by having one transaction every 3 months or so (it varies with different banks). Yes they do online banking.

Here is the website of one bank - all of your queries are covered here, look in FAQs. Yes it's in Spanish - good practice. :)
Banco BHD