Cedula & gun Permit????

Status
Not open for further replies.

djuno718

Dec 1, 2007
Question if anyone can help me out??

Inspite of recent events (breakins, robberies, etc.) my cousin has decided that he wants to buy a Gun for the protection of his home, But on his cedula It Says that his Occupation Is Estudiante. Will this be a Factor When he goes to Buy it Or will it have no effect??

Thanks For your time and Expertise :)

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If he is either a Permanent Resident or a Dominican citizen it does not matter.

If you have any questions you can call here.

Interior Policia
Control Armas Dept.
(809) 221-8964
(809) 686-6251 Ext. 2245

djuno718

Dec 1, 2007
Re:

ok he lives out here (in NY) Obviously he wont tell the dealer that but he has his cedula so this must mean hes a citizen right? So he wont have a problem??

Thanks in advance ill make sure he calls anyway.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
ok he lives out here (in NY) Obviously he wont tell the dealer that but he has his cedula so this must mean hes a citizen right? So he wont have a problem??

Thanks in advance ill make sure he calls anyway.

If his Cedula has a voting address on the back he is a Citizen. As long as it is current he will have no problem. He has to pass some tests for the license, but the dealer will help with this. Make sure his Cedula is not expired. If it is he can go to the JCE and renew it.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
so he lives in NY, the big city of gold on the streets.
what home he want's to protect?
if he want's to buy a gun here he has to come over to the island, which should not be a prob as long as he did not left someone in the past on a "viajeros-ride".
with his renewed dedula he can purchase a gun withn the "tenencia" permision(to have the gun at home, not to carry on the streets) easy. contact a dealer is the easiest way with the paper work, he shows his cedula, provides the "buena conducta papers", a paper with names and numbers of people as recommendation(for my "porte license" i needed to provide 3, don't know about the "tenencia" one), pays the taxes, the insurance for the gun for 1 year(should be included by the dealers rate) and makes the psychical exam, shooting test in st dgo, and then they shoot his picture and he get's his permision with his picture printed at the "secretaria de Interior", usually the dealer companies him on the way and with all that together they hand him over the piece.
Mike

djuno718

Dec 1, 2007
Hmm

Hows that Shooting test??? i didnt do this when i got mine?

Is it like The Firearms qualification that the cops over here(U.S) Have to pass
Like shooting from 25-50 Yds? Or Just making sure you can handle Shooting a Gun?
As for the psych I dont Think hes Crazy LOL, but who knows LMAO.

anyone remember what type of questions they ask on the psych as hes leaving next week and hes kinda getting on my nerves already LOL.

Thanks for your time and Patience.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
been a while that i did it and of course i don't know if it is at the same spot still.
the range been less than 15 yards and nobody cared about where the shots gone, ha ha.
i feared that the guy next to me will hit my target instead of his.
it didn't take much time. we've been a group of arond 12-15 people, so they gave us some basic instruction in handling a semiauto, you reallu should not purchase a gun if you do not have even THAT knowledge prior, and i would highly recommend to get professional traning in handling /use of a firearm prior to purchase one, for your own good, otherwise your own gun could turn out easily a thread to yourself and your family.
the psycho test been a max 10 minutes answering, nothing special, all questions point to "are you an aggressive person fighting with everybody for no reason or not", so always answer that you are not. the last question always is "so if you do not want to fight or shoot somebody, why do you want to carry a gun?", the answer is "for the given situation somebody want's to break in your house and you show him the family is armed, that would defend you from getting robbed aso".
if you buy a gun at a gun-dealer they give you a hand during the whole process, fill in the papers for you, company you to the spots where you have to be present in person, by the different small taxes like the waepon's insurance aso, hassle free.
Mike

djuno718

Dec 1, 2007
Age????

Well he just turned 21 about 2 months ago and has his own house and is Married (hence the reason to buy the damn thing in the first place) will this be a factor in the decision to aprove him Or Not???????

It would be a shame to see him get hyped up and then Denied because he just turned 21.
Also Any ideas of which type of gun he should by Besides the American/german Market guns (Glock, Sig, S&W, Sprinfield, Taurus)??

Thanks.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
don't know about a minimum age or such,
i am running by 'double 4' this september,
so a minimum age never been a quetsion in case of my gunpermissions here in the country.
what kind of gun to purchase depends on a lot of factors/on the owner/kind of usage.
i will receive hopefully tomorrow an other Black Beretta 9mm, my prefered one since a long time(it will be my 4th one of the same 92FS model within 8 years), she's waiting for me in santo domingo since over 2 months, but i am located in Punta Cana, so the needed full day for a visit to the capital is always my prob on such stuff. til now i have the ride planned for tomorrow, leaving very early to be back late afternoon.
Glocks, Berettas aso are the most expensive brands, forget about all rates you know from home, specially in the US, a used one from a high brand costs you over here more than double than the same model would cost brand new in the US. even the very expensive european market is cheap compared to the rates over here.
9mm long barrel Berettas and the Glocks run actually for around120.000.- pesos per new piece, that's over 3K$$$.
much more economic models are the latin americans like the very often used Bersa 9mm's, they are available with the long and the shorter barrels, they run for half the price than the top brands.
if the gun is meant to protect a house i would take a Bersa or such, a short version with it's 15 rounds clip, fits at every spot in your house(no access for kids or visitors), light, and effordable.maybe they will think about purchasing just a shotgun, very effective and easier to get the permission for that to keep it at your house.
i prefer the heavy 9mms like my 92FS Beretta and carry her in a shoulder holster because it would be too heavy to fit it in the belt of my jeans, ha ha.
many people don't like the heavy weights(mine is over 2lbs without the 20shots clip), it depends to what you are used to.
like you mentioned your friends will be firsttimers i would recommend a light 9mm or a 380, of course a semiauto, short version,
and very important:
they should not even think about purchasing a gun without a very good and professionel supervised training prior to that.
take care
Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Well he just turned 21 about 2 months ago and has his own house and is Married (hence the reason to buy the damn thing in the first place) will this be a factor in the decision to aprove him Or Not???????

ha ha,
so on the first place he should take care that his wifey does not have access to the gun while he's taking a little roundtrip on the streets,
a jeallous young wife and a gun at home could be a very good reason to stay on the road over night,lol
Mike

djuno718

Dec 1, 2007
Rofl

Same thing i said, But atleast his wife is a christian so i dont think there will be any issues there LMAO.

damn how much did u pay for that barreta (Round Figure)??
$120 for a Glock??????? Wow theres a Carandai model that is Very similar, So similar that they use glock Parts for repair at the Armeria Where i see it, Going for $85,000.
Id rather buy that LOL.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
with the christian wife i assume you mean a "convertido", so i would trust her less, she would beat him to death with a big cruz, at least no waste of expensive bullets, ha ha.
i never purchased any of my Berettas here in the country, but the rates are actual(end last year because a friend bought one.
my last one which i 'purchsed' i imported from Miami in 2005,
i paid a bill of $1.150.- for the gun, 14.900.- pesos for the import tax, around 6.000.- pesos for the 1 year gun permission(plus 805 pesos for the extra to get the permission to carry the gun, not just to have it in the house) including the guns insurance, phsychical exam aso. i got it hassle free because i did not have to do the paper work or such myself, i have friends on official spots who handled the stuff, so i just had to be present myself for the phsycho test(10 minutes q's and answers, been easy), walking over the street(secretaria de interior) where they took my picture with a webcam and a 10 miutes later i had the permission card in my hand, with that we drove up to the spot where the ballistics are taken from the gun(been taken prior to that day) where they handed me over the piece. the whole procedure took nearby 3 months because the gun has been a import, but no prob during that time period, been just waiting time, i traveled only once to St Dgo for the whole stuff and for the well known company i had i did not need to wait in line at the "Interior".
after that, like the actual one, i receive my guns from the Marine's armory, of course i have the batch for that, so when i order one i just have to wait til i get informed that i can pass by and receive it. i know that there has be a import stop for private persons in case of firearms importations, could then only be done by licensed dealers, i do not have actual notice if that is still the case or if something changed in it. for a private person the easiest way is to go to a gunshop and negociate the price including the paperwork, 1 year permission aso, the shops staff will do the nasty paperwork for you and company you where you have to be present yourself. there's also(if still needed, don't know) been the need of a little 7 shots test shooting on a firing range(very small one), i did that just once and that's been a while ago, been no prob, it did not matter where you hit the target.
85.000.- pesos for a no name copy is less than the original but he... that's still a $2.500.- USBucks, much more than a top brand would cost new in te US.
i am not very up to date with all the actual prices on the 9mm's, my last ones are not really purchased, i just pay some fees/taxes, pay the yearly reno of the permission and that's it.
for newbies i would anyways recommend to take a shotgun instaed of a pistol,
it looks always all so easy in films and many just think it as "cool" to have one to show it to friends aso, but to handle and use it under the pressure of a situation in your home(mostly occuring during nighttime, you are not in your jeans, not in your running shoes, you are sleepy or you just leave the bathroom when something occurs and your offenders are at a shady dark spot where you can not even really see them) without getting taken Your gun by the intruder who will threaten you and your family with your own gun, it's something very different. a simple 9mm Semi is a weapon for short distances, for situations where you have your oponent very close right in front of you and he may know exactly what he has to do with the stuff he has in his hand.
if you hear something at your frontdoor/at your window aso and nobody answer's your question "who's there", just do with the shotgun what they do in funny movies, don't forget to open the window first of course, so after that shot they will be gone and you stay safe, and they will more likely not come back, ha ha.
Mike

djuno718

Dec 1, 2007
Handgun

Well i think he Like the handguns Over shotguns for the Simple Fact of Weight.
Plus he also Wants to get the Porte Licesnse.

The dealer He goes to Is very expensive (Tapia Sport In Santiago) Compared to all the others. But hes Including all paperwork and a 48hr turnaround to pick up his Gun (assuming hes done all the necessary tests done).
All he has to do is Go to Stgo To pick up his Weapon.

Man this Guy is expensive 1800 For a box of 50 Fmj
Or 2500 For 50 Hollow points.

And this guy gives eveyone Different prices.
O well I guess well see.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
the 2500 for the hollows are not even the most expensive rate you can find on the island, ha ha.
after your last post i have really a q:
WHY your cousin wants/NEEDS a gun????
and more important:
why he wanna carry a gun on the streets???
consider one simple and very important fact:
everybody knows the worth of the gun he carries, so he will not get robbed because of a 100 US$ watch or for some money he may have in his pocket,
he sure will be watched because he carry's a valuable piece around, and one day/night the right guys will find him at the right dark location and take his gun away, and he need to be very lucky to only loose his gun.
just for the show:
better he purchase's a $3.000.- Rolex than a Glock, he will get "Rid" of that too of course, but he maybe lucky just to loose his half arm during the process and not his life, and nobody can shoot him with the Rolex, neither to use it to rob/murder aso an other person with it aso aso aso
Mike

djuno718

Dec 1, 2007
Same thing...

Same thing i asked him. He says Because he wants to be protected, being that he has been mugged before. Whatever his wishes i will try my best to help.
But he knows the Risks of carrying it with him, He says he doesnt go to any place Where its dangerous. But then again I say where is it Safe??? LOL.

i guess when he gets it and he sees how much of a hassle it is to carry it
(being U cant carry into a mall, or even in a crowded event) maybe the piece will spend more time at home and not on him LOL.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you have the right holster you will not even know you are carrying it, and neither will anyone else.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
You guys are giving some great advice.

I will like to add that carrying a firearm and properly using it takes training and a lot of practice and unless that person had training before, at 1800 pesos for 50-FMJ, it's gonna get real costly breaking in the firearm and getting proficient with it. I thought paying $20 box for my .45 is outrageous, jeesh:ermm:

I recommend your friend hop a plane to the US, take a NRA Basic Pistol course and right after take one of the numerous tactical pistol courses offered by many schools, including 10-8 Consulting, SigArms, Blackwater and Thunder Ranch, to name a few.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
right SKY,
and totally agree Ricardo,
i highly recommended that in at least 2 prior posts.
if he does not carry the gun to places where he does not fell save ,
WHY he would need one??
1st point is always to avoid trouble and stay away of places named 'risky'.
it looks like he is a younggun who wanna show his friends at home some pictures that HE carries a gun, and that's the most stupid reason to have one.
btw it doesn't look like there are real reason for a "porte" license, the one you need to carry it around, so he most likely will not get it.
i wished the laws/rules would be much more tied to exactly prevent the streets from such kids running there armed.
and safe or non safe places???
non existent, if somebody wanna take your money or what ever he more likely will do it at exactly the moment when you feel safe and do not expect a thing.
anything else would be "looking for trouble" at the "non-safe" spots,
not worth to even discuss.
hey bro,
$20.- for your box of '45's,
yeap, i know it's true,
but not available over here and sorrily the times are over when friends brought in the shots by plane on the regular visits.
not so long ago i've been with friends on a nearby empty finca twice a month,
each firing at least 2 boxes of 50 9mm's,
lately i leave that to 1 box a month for me alone,
it's really costy, even using regular 9mm's for the practice,
the hollo's are way too expensive for some practice/fun shooting,
they stay in their clips til 'cleaning day', then i switch them to emty clips to let the prior used clips take a rest, it's not that good when the springs are always under pressure without getting moved.
Mike

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
For the extra $25 US he should get the Porte License. Without this he cannot even keep it in the glove compartment of his car unless it is unloaded and the glove compartment is locked.

Trust me, it pays to have the Porte License. You never know where you will be going or transporting the gun to.

Status
Not open for further replies.