Working without a Cedula

xtoclark

Jul 9, 2008
I need to find a job but I don't have a cedula. I just talked with a call center they said "Excellent, we're interested in you- do you have a cedula?" BAM! Door closed, for now anyways.

I know I need to get a cedula, I'm going to start the process as soon as possible but I also need tp start earning now. So the question is:
Where can I work without a cedula?
I am looking for a job that will pay me for my greatest asset down here, mainly that I speak english pretty well.

Does anyone have any tips? PM me for any reason.

I'm about to go to my plans d,e,.
D. selling a kidney (which I guess is like plan E, but a bit different)
E. selling my soul

Thank you all.
Edit: I live in Santiago by the way.

Last edited:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
You're best bet is to start the residency application process. Assuming you speak Spanish, it can be done for less than US500 w/o having an attorney do it all for you. The challenges may be getting a guarantor to vouch for you financially that also has adequate income and a copy of your original birth certificate. Search other threads for this info.

xtoclark

Jul 9, 2008
It was a bad joke. I wouldn't consider it. I edited my original post to make it less of bad joke. Thanks for the tip.

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
Cedula ?

Man I never heard about such a thing for a tourist to get a job there. I saw employer asking for cedula to Haitians only.

Most tour representative in Dominican Rep. dont have cedula, restaurant and bars in Cabarete, Sosua, Boca chica, Juan Dolio, La Romana and Punta Cana.
believe I know plenty of people working in hospitality and teaching without Cedula (Not Haitian).

I dont know exactly what a Tourist can do with a Cedula in DR.

You can open a bank account.
Buy a car
Buy a house
rent a house
cash a check
go to a hospital
You can work
go to school

only thing you cant do is get a gov. job

Prob. Someone can tell me the benefit you can get having this

Last edited:

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
All of the call centres and businesses in the Free Zone in san Pedro are now asking for cedula or at least proof that you have started the process, and you may find that that will also spread to other types of position and companies.

Why would anyone want to be here illegally anyway?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
well, matilda, some people are plain lazy, some do not have enough money to pay for a lawyer and some plan to stay for few months only. and yes, some have enough money to buy house, car and leave in peace without work....
to OP - best thing for you is to start residency process - papers that your cedula is in progress are as good as cedula.
i guess there are no places in santiago (that is bars, restaurants etc) that cater to tourist only so this type of job is out of the question. be persistent - some of the foreign owned companies may hire you, since quite possibly the owners will have no cedulas either :)

xtoclark

Jul 9, 2008
Well I'm not a tourist, I live here. Turns out that I'm already about done with the process anyhow.

I had no clue that I can show my papers that I am in progress and still be accepted, thanks for telling me that was a huge help. But I dont know which papers to show that I'm in progress to getting my cedula? The only step left for me is to go to Sto.Dom. to get a signature that legalizes the translators/lawyers signature and also to get my parents birth certificate and then drop them off.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Well I'm not a tourist, I live here. Turns out that I'm already about done with the process anyhow.
I had no clue that I can show my papers that I am in progress and still be accepted, thanks for telling me that was a huge help. But I dont know which papers to show that I'm in progress to getting my cedula? The only step left for me is to go to Sto.Dom. to get a signature that legalizes the translators/lawyers signature and also to get my parents birth certificate and then drop them off.

to be honest with you when i started working i just said my cedula is in process and no one ever checked that. i had to provide a copy of cedula once it was done, that is all.
"your parents" birth certificate? first time i hear about that! is it some sort of new requirement? i only had to provide my own birth certificate...

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
You can work for me without a cedula as long as you are working on getting one. Not my official policy but we are strapped for english speakers right now.

We are in the Santiago Free Zone.

Call my office at 809-570-2072, they will anwer in Spanish but can put you through to an english speaker so you can arrange to come in and apply.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
Attention all job seekers: Please do not PM or email me asking for a job, especially if you do not live in Santiago. If you do live in Santiago, call the number in the post above and follow the procedure indicated. (apply in person)

I do not have time to deal with people who "may be considering moving to the DR someday" and certainly would not like to figure as an influence in a decision of that magnitude.

I am going to start ignoring you all starting .... NOW!

xtoclark

Jul 9, 2008
dv8- I?m applying for a dominican passport/cedula as a dominican citizen because of my family, so I have to prove that at least one of my parents is a dominican. Or so I believe, that?s what I read on these forums...

Mr. Mike,
Before you ignore everybody, thank you I?ll call your offices during the week.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
so you are a Dominican who's illegally in the Dominican republic without a job?
are your dominican parents over here or on the other side of the channel?, if they are here they(even one of them is enough) have to go to the place where your birth been registered and the little paperwork will go it's way. my wife did not have any papers neither when we met. if you are born outside of te country by dominicans the whole process is different, from your last post i would assume that you want to/have to apply for citizenship, not just for the residency of a foreigner who wanna live/work here on the island.
what are the details?
Mike

xtoclark

Jul 9, 2008
Well, I?m a student that?s legally here, without a job. I have one dominican parent, and I was born back in the states.
I need citizenship, not just a residency, because it makes life 100% better down here and tends to oil the hinges for things to move and function. I have family on both sides of the channel and I already have all the official paperwork, stamps, signatures and statements that I needed to get from the US. I intend on having daul citizenship since there?s no way I?ll be giving up my US passport anytime soon. The only part that seems to be really holding me up is overhere... C?est La Vie or more accurately C?est La Rep. Dominicana

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
dv8- I?m applying for a dominican passport/cedula as a dominican citizen because of my family, so I have to prove that at least one of my parents is a dominican. Or so I believe, that?s what I read on these forums...

Mr. Mike,
Before you ignore everybody, thank you I?ll call your offices during the week.

Don't worry man, I'm not ignoring everybody, I'm ignoring people who don't live here.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
synergies in front of the supermarket pola is hiring english speakers, and my understanding is that you don't need a cedula... they pay okay (i think starting at 110RD p/h but don't hold me to that).

Cantaloulou

Feb 19, 2008
I recently interviewed at synergies and indeed they don't require a cedula or residency or even in process of. They offer 100-105 pesos per hour.