Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default ice cream dreams

I am thinking about moving to Sosua and starting a business making artesanal ice cream (handmade fresh everyday with super high quality ingredients imported from around the world). It's so delicious and actually healthy but it would be more expensive than normal ice cream. I would love to know from you guys if you think something like this would be successful in Sosua. I understand Dominicans like ice cream but since most of them might not be able to afford it on a regular basis, are there enough expats and tourists that might enjoy something like this?

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Nestle just left the market, they couldn't compete with Helados Bon the local 40yr old ice cream company. If your importing ingredients, you might well price yourself out of the market. I suggest you do a "massive" amount of market research and cost analysis otherwise you could loose your shirt.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

don't waste your time with the research, I will give you 6 months to fold and lose it all.
    AZB

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I would have to agree with both posts. One guy did this and lasted 2 months. there is already two ice cream stands in the heart of Sosua and i do not know how they survive.

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Feisty1 View Post
    handmade fresh everyday with super high quality ingredients imported from around the world
    This is the part that dooms the idea and all but guarantees failure.
    If you're working with perishables and need to import ingredients on a constant basis, you'll run into too much trouble and costs for it to be worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Feisty1 View Post
    are there enough expats and tourists that might enjoy something like this?
    There are lots of expats and tourists and it is possible that there are enough to support an ice cream biz that has exceptionally good flavour.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

helados bon i consider to be one of the finest ice creams to be found anywhere. if it were an inferior product you might have a chance but it's great stuff with fresh natural ingredients. it might work in SD in a trendy mall, make it expensive and the locals will buy it just because of the high price. kinda like blue label scotch, they buy it for looks.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Will not work. Helados Bon runs the show here and in Latin American, competition does not exsist. You're either have the product everyone wants or you don't. Simple as that.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by amparocorp View Post
    helados bon i consider to be one of the finest ice creams to be found anywhere. if it were an inferior product you might have a chance but it's great stuff with fresh natural ingredients. it might work in SD in a trendy mall, make it expensive and the locals will buy it just because of the high price. kinda like blue label scotch, they buy it for looks.
    I have seen 2-3 high end or boutique ice-cream stores come and go in trendy malls. Any one remember the "little ice cream balls" store in Acropolis?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

check out Mariposa across from parque central in pop, the best ice cream by far I've had around here.

Post Thanks / Like

Whew!!!! Thank you all so much. You just saved me a fortune! What kind of businesses do you wish were there that aren't at the moment?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast