ice cream dreams

Feisty1

Jul 6, 2008
I am thinking about moving to Sosua and starting a business making artesanal ice cream (handmade fresh everyday with super high quality ingredients imported from around the world). It's so delicious and actually healthy but it would be more expensive than normal ice cream. I would love to know from you guys if you think something like this would be successful in Sosua. I understand Dominicans like ice cream but since most of them might not be able to afford it on a regular basis, are there enough expats and tourists that might enjoy something like this?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Nestle just left the market, they couldn't compete with Helados Bon the local 40yr old ice cream company. If your importing ingredients, you might well price yourself out of the market. I suggest you do a "massive" amount of market research and cost analysis otherwise you could loose your shirt.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
don't waste your time with the research, I will give you 6 months to fold and lose it all.
AZB

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I would have to agree with both posts. One guy did this and lasted 2 months. there is already two ice cream stands in the heart of Sosua and i do not know how they survive.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
handmade fresh everyday with super high quality ingredients imported from around the world
This is the part that dooms the idea and all but guarantees failure.
If you're working with perishables and need to import ingredients on a constant basis, you'll run into too much trouble and costs for it to be worthwhile.

are there enough expats and tourists that might enjoy something like this?
There are lots of expats and tourists and it is possible that there are enough to support an ice cream biz that has exceptionally good flavour.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
helados bon i consider to be one of the finest ice creams to be found anywhere. if it were an inferior product you might have a chance but it's great stuff with fresh natural ingredients. it might work in SD in a trendy mall, make it expensive and the locals will buy it just because of the high price. kinda like blue label scotch, they buy it for looks.

Se?or_Jimenez

Mar 2, 2006
Will not work. Helados Bon runs the show here and in Latin American, competition does not exsist. You're either have the product everyone wants or you don't. Simple as that.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
helados bon i consider to be one of the finest ice creams to be found anywhere. if it were an inferior product you might have a chance but it's great stuff with fresh natural ingredients. it might work in SD in a trendy mall, make it expensive and the locals will buy it just because of the high price. kinda like blue label scotch, they buy it for looks.

I have seen 2-3 high end or boutique ice-cream stores come and go in trendy malls. Any one remember the "little ice cream balls" store in Acropolis?

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
check out Mariposa across from parque central in pop, the best ice cream by far I've had around here.

Feisty1

Jul 6, 2008
Whew!!!! Thank you all so much. You just saved me a fortune! What kind of businesses do you wish were there that aren't at the moment?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Whew!!!! Thank you all so much. You just saved me a fortune! What kind of businesses do you wish were there that aren't at the moment?

Feisty, with respect, that isn't the most effective way of doing your homework. There might or might not be all sorts of businesses which people wish were here, yet they're not here because, just like your ice cream idea, they're not really feasible. You could get answers about businesses which are simply impossible or very difficult to implement successfully. Have you done a search of the forum to discover the joys and pains of running a business here? How much do you know about the business climate of the DR?

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Where's The Beef!

North American Beef is much needed here in the DR.

Put an ad in the DR1 saying you can double your money in 3 days!

I will personally buy any Ground Sirloin or Prime Rib you bring!

You freeze it and wrap it and it does not thaw out.

When you arrive in POP our Limo will take you within the general area.

For large orders I will include a Rib dinner !

elton

My thread snapped!
Jul 1, 2008
coffee and cakes cafe near sosua beach (Like cafe de paris)....... or a bowling alley

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
English ,German,& Russian bookstore with paperbacks & periodicals would be well received

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Feisty, with respect, that isn't the most effective way of doing your homework. There might or might not be all sorts of businesses which people wish were here, yet they're not here because, just like your ice cream idea, they're not really feasible. You could get answers about businesses which are simply impossible or very difficult to implement successfully. Have you done a search of the forum to discover the joys and pains of running a business here? How much do you know about the business climate of the DR?

I agree with lambada. the OP has no clue as to what she wants to do here and what works in the business market. the truth is, any idea the Op is thinking of, many others have tried it and failed. She probably speaks no spanish so I don't know if she is even able to put a business outside of touristy areas. santiago's economy is so bad that I see many businesses fail everyday here and she is thinking of doing business in sosua? Good luck.
the only place where I see money flowing at the moment is santo domingo. To put up a business there, you need original ideas, lots of money and must speak spanish.
AZB

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
The only business I would even dream about doing in Sosua is a Cabana. I still find it unbelievable that there is still no Cabana here!! This is guaranteed income from day one.Granted, there are a lot of small 'hotels', but they are not the same. So if you have the cash, are willing to pay off the local officials, having to deal with the occasional problem that occurrs with 'guests' and don't mind taking advantage of the Sosua 'street trade', then go for it!! I am sure that there are quite a few people here on dr1.com that would frequent a Cabana in Sosua....shocking I know!!!!

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I think you too may be on to something.:)
Hmmmmmm:rambo: A caba?a in the Sosua area selling English, German & Russian paperbacks & periodicals.

Somewhere for tourists to go read newspapers/periodicals & get out of the earshot of the wife for a few hours - maybe take in a 'Floor Show' at the same time?? The idea becomes more appealing by the keystroke!! :classic::cool: ~ Grahame.