Catalina: Good? Bad? Worthwhile?

Sugoya

Jun 15, 2008
This Saturday I will be going to Catalina (God and weather-permitting). Supposedly there will be a boat ride, time spent on the beach, and good eats. Anything else I should know or look out for? What's so special about the place? What seems cool, but is actually just an overly hyped touristy activity not worth it's bragging? Please let me know anything. (I know I can research it, but "fresh" personal opinions go a long way for me.).

P.S.-I plan on travelling to different spots as I will attest being a homebody, if anyone else has similar plans, maybe we can meet up. Let us speak through the power of PM.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Catalina is a samll island only around 20 mins by boat from la Romana. It is a national marine park so it is best for snorkelling and diving. The sand is also white coral sand. Beautiful clear sea, lots to see snorkelling and lovely sand

Sugoya

Jun 15, 2008
Both you guys gave me good answers. I don't snorkel or dive though. I'm sure the island is good enough to allow me to get a tan, eat some good food, and relax though. Any unique things to purchase in the area, or is that found more cheaply and easily in La Romana? Thanks.

Kaki

Sep 18, 2005
I have pictures of a tour to Catalina that I took last year at Catalina Island, off La Romana, Dominican Republic pictures from caribbean photos on webshots.

I was among the snorkelers so we went from Bayahibe to the beach at Catalina, dropped the non-snorkelers, then went back to the reef for snorkeling, then back to Catalina. A lot of lost time in being on the boat. I enjoy a boatride as much as anything, but I didn't find the views that stunning after the first 20 minutes! It was a half-day outing for me and the "food" was chips and rum and coke/sprite. I had a fab time talking to one of our guides though and took a couple of hundred pictures. By the time we left, I felt like I'd "done" that beach.

I have pictures of a sample of the shopping at the "mall" and though there's a lot to see in a small space, it's the same as in a lot of other tourist areas including the beach area of Bayahibe where a number of the boats will depart from.

I think there are two beaches on the island where most groups end up stopping, one being more developed than the other. You may not end up at the same spot I was, just like at Saona Island. At Saona there is one long beach where 1000 people will be jostling for space, and then some smaller tours stop on the south of the island beyond Mano Juan where you may be the only 10 or 15 people on the beach.

On my return from Catalina Island, we cruised the La Romana coastline including Casa de Campo and the marina. It's really interesting and the homes are beautiful. I enjoyed imagining that I could possibly come back in another life and have my morning cafe con leche in my gazebo along that strip of the Caribbean. But they may tell you that this house is Julio Iglesias's and that is Oscar de la Renta's and this one is Shakira's but don't take it as a statement of fact. I know that I was told that one was Shakira's and other tours are saying the same house is Michael Jackson's. I labeled the home in my pics as Shakira's, but I take it with a grain of salt.

I hope my pictures show how beautiful the sand and vista is.

Kaki

Sugoya

Jun 15, 2008
Thank You for your insight Kaki. I will hopefully enjoy myself, and if nothing else, whether good, bad, or worthwhile, I will have something to contribute on the subject, and another place on my list to cross a line through, or put a check next to. Thanks.

irateskateboards

Oct 4, 2006
Boca Chica, Dominican Republic
anyone got contact info on the boat operators for catalina island?

anyone got contact information on the boat operators,any phone numbers or departure times and how much to pay..i see that there are a few boats that leave from that spot under the bridge in la romana to catalina.
any info is appreciated.
thank you,
zach

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
One thing I recommend...

is to get an early start. By 4pm at the latest all boats leave the island due to high tide and the sea gets really rough if you leave too late. I went to the island and I loved it, beautiful white sand and cristal clear water, also plenty of chairlong (sp) to relax in the sun. We went on a tour with my company so we contracted the food ahead of time, it was really good, but I don't know if it would be the same people. Facilities are available such as toilets and showers, remember that this is a stop for cruise ships so they need to maintain the place up to standard.