Miss Universe

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Does anyone know what channels will be the showing Miss Universe pageant here in the DR?

Thanks

Mr. Lu

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I just saw Ms DR, why in the world do they always have to pick white girls? It has already been proven that dark girls can win too so I don't think there is any excuse.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
I just saw Ms DR, why in the world do they always have to pick white girls? It has already been proven that dark girls can win too so I don't think there is any excuse.

Have you ever thought that maybe its not an excuse but a purposely thought out process.....:eek:

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004

They take basically the same type of woman. And if they don't fit the mold via natural beauty, cosmetic surgery and anorexia then they're out.

Sometimes one or two sneak in, but its' mostly white skinned women. And that is for all latin american countries.

Why? Part of the international standard of beauty that these pageants adhere to is for the contestants to have white skin.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
They take basically the same type of woman. And if they don't fit the mold via natural beauty, cosmetic surgery and anorexia then they're out.

Sometimes one or two sneak in, but its' mostly white skinned women. And that is for all latin american countries.

Why? Part of the international standard of beauty that these pageants adhere to is for the contestants to have white skin.

This may seem to be the case but black women have won before. I find it a shame why darker skin is somehow supposedly not as attactive as light.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I must be colour blind because alot of these girls are either brown or dark brown, camel, coffee, tan...etc. My favorite is Miss Trinidad & Tobago. Miss DR is not white, but certainly not black-who cares - shes very attractive as are most of them.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I must be colour blind because alot of these girls are either brown or dark brown, camel, coffee, tan...etc. My favorite is Miss Trinidad & Tobago. Miss DR is not white, but certainly not black-who cares - shes very attractive as are most of them.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

My only point was to point out that it is a shame that the DR is consistently represented by girls much lighter than the general population as if to say that darker skin color is less attractive.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My only point was to point out that it is a shame that the DR is consistently represented by girls much lighter than the general population as if to say that darker skin color is less attractive.

I think those who choose in the DR are looking for girls with a certain look- very tall, usually high cheekbones, straight narrow nose....etc. This does rule out all dark Dominican girls but eliminates about 90%.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I think those who choose in the DR are looking for girls with a certain look- very tall, usually high cheekbones, straight narrow nose....etc. This does rule out all dark Dominican girls but eliminates about 90%.

It could be, but in my honest opinion a country should send it a good representative of the general population. After all, every place has it's beautiful people, even if we can't all agree on what that is.

In my own view, I honestly don't think there is a more handsome people than Dominicans.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Me too.
It doesn't even enter my mind.
I don't understand why some folks try to make this a colour/race/ethnicity issue.
If someone was whiter as snow and glowed with white, of course I would notice, the same going for black, but in between, who cares.

She's pretty, or she ain't.

RGVgal

Bronze
May 26, 2008

I think you are trying to make an issue out of nothing.

RGVgal

Bronze
May 26, 2008
I wonder if the majority of the representatives are of lighter skin color because it takes a lot of money to compete in Pagents (in the U.S. it does, I assume is the same in the D.R.) and a lot of the more affluent Dominicans tend to be lighter skin.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
The fact that Amelia Vega's uncle is Juan Luis Guerra (440) certainly did not hurt!

tambo'