Do Yourselves A Favour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
If you're in Puerto Plata and you want to meet an interesting character go to Parque Central and look outside the Casa de Cultura during the hours it is open. There sitting on the steps is a tall (6ft.) thin bearded man in his 50's with a polystyrene cup which he uses for donations. Yes he is a beggar and one you might easily pass by. One side of his body is a little frail - the result of a stroke but his speech is unimpaired. And it's unimpaired in 5 languages (Spanish, English, French, German & Hebrew). He's a little down on his luck at present but his spirit is mostly vibrant. A Dominican organisation is helping him to get fit enough to work with some medical and dental assistance but other help is always welcome. For all the tourists and residents who have said to me 'I'd really like to have a conversation with one of these people who needs help but I don't have Spanish' here is your chance. He lived in the US for 35 years which is why he is fluent in English & no, he wasn't deported. I did ask & it was taken as a factual question & he didn't take offense. There is no evidence of drugs or alcohol - psychologically he appears very switched on given the lifestyle he endures. In fact once he knew I was English he immediately told me about a homesick young English girl he knows and wanted me to befriend her as a mother figure. The first time I met him he told me he needed trousers - I went back today with 3 pairs of BushBaby's and he was really touched. The look in the eyes made me feel quite emotional and as those who know me know, that's not easily done.

I won't post his name but I would just say that some of these folks who are down on their luck are not just deserving of empathy but are intelligent, gifted individuals deserving of time and friendship as equals. So, if you have ten minutes but no Spanish go and introduce yourself. You'll probably gain more than you give. I'm not asking you to give him money but time. He needs to build up his self-image back to being a worthwhile person. Course if anyone wants to share their lunch with him, he won't say no. :)

Thank you for reading this.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Is Parque Central next to the Tropical supermarket?
NOPE, ........ Parque Central (now called parque Independencia) is in the ....... CENTRE of town, by the Cathedral!!

Casa de Cultura is the building OPPOSITE the Cathedral on the corner of Duarte with Calle Separacion. ~ Grahame.

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
NOPE, ........ Parque Central (now called parque Independencia) is in the ....... CENTRE of town, by the Cathedral!!

Casa de Cultura is the building OPPOSITE the Cathedral on the corner of Duarte with Calle Separacion. ~ Grahame.

Thanks, that is what confused me in the name!:eek:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Thanks, that is what confused me in the name!:eek:

Sorry to have confused you. I've been calling it Parque Central for 16 years & old habits die hard. It's actually Plaza Independencia now. No park because, well...........all the shade bearing trees went. (As for all the name changes to hotels in Playa Dorada I gave up on those long ago :rolleyes:.)

The Casa de Cultura is the pink building bottom left here
Dominican Republic: Puerto Plata Images

Frequently has art exhibitions, book launches etc & you'll find the staff most knowledgeable on matters cultural. It is also a meeting place for local artists, poets, historians etc. the 'arty' side of Puerto Plata if you like. Interesting group of people.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
This is a thank you to the nice couple who took the gentleman described in my initial post to breakfast yesterday. He was thrilled that you came looking for him & I heard all about it today. No secrets in Puerto Plata ;) .

A sincere thank you and welcome to your new home, Puerto Plata.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
This is a thank you to the nice couple who took the gentleman described in my initial post to breakfast yesterday. He was thrilled that you came looking for him & I heard all about it today. No secrets in Puerto Plata ;) .

A sincere thank you and welcome to your new home, Puerto Plata.

Sometimes things discussed in this forum do not go on deaf ears.

Kudos!!!!!!;)

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
The first time I met him he told me he needed trousers - I went back today with 3 pairs of BushBaby's and he was really touched. The look in the eyes made me feel quite emotional and as those who know me know, that's not easily done..

Great post Lambada. I have seen some of BB's trousers golfing - I would get emotional as well if they were given to me:cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:...Tom (Sorry Graham, I couldn't help myself)

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Not a problem for me Tom, I can take criticism (when it is constructive or meant in jest) & do not feel the need to get all up-tight like some people!!;)

YES, I had heard of your situation of "couldn't help myself!!" Hope it clears up soon for you :cheeky: :ermm: ~ Grahame

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
At least I didn't give the gentleman with 5 languages BushBaby's gold lam? MC Hammer pants because.............well , I thought there might be a dissonance with his current occupation..........;)

But in all seriousness his eyes lit up when he saw the red golfing trousers. My guess is, during his successful time he was probably quite a snazzy dresser & this brought back the hope that maybe he could be again, some day. When I saw him on Tuesday he was wearing one of the donated pairs ( a sedate khaki pair) & looked much better.

A lot of this has to be geared to valuing the person not just focussing on the problem. Might be bearing fruit because he asked me for some books in English to keep his brain active: he now has The Power & the Glory by British author Graham Greene (those who have read it can guess why) as well as a copy of yours truly's & a request to produce a verbal critique next week which I hope he will find empowering because by doing so he'll be helping me improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.