Schools - Learning Center v Garden Kids

Adrian

Oct 22, 2003
I would welcome any comments about these two schools and their suitability for two dominican children aged 6 and 10.

I have read other threads about both schools and they both seem well thought of.

Adrian

Adrian

Oct 22, 2003
I really would welcome any comments or thoughts anyone has about either or both of these two schools.

Adrian

Bayx-**

May 30, 2008
The learning Center is a good school, but there some stuff that I don't like about it.
The classroom are very limited.
The school location is not the safest, it's on a fast high traffic road.
I don't like the playground or yard.
The staff is great.
The principal is very smart and educated.

You should take a tour of the school before you make a decision.

oldschlumpf

Jul 16, 2008
Learning Center v Garden Kids

Maybe you don't know that there is a new school opening this school year
that can compete with the two other schools?
The school is located, entering the street between the truck syndicate and the Vet. Dr. de la Cruz, after approx. 200 m on the left side.

Caz

May 15, 2004
How come you allow these posts but not the almost identical post from Vevy?

sarita

May 5, 2005
that new school is called children's world and will be a very good school. its very child friendly and promises great things. pm me if u need more info.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I'm not sure, but I heard that The Learning Center has moved to Cabarete. There is also the Luis Hess (I believe that's the name) school on Pedro Clisante that is well thought of and very reasonably priced.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
I am going to enrol my 5 year old in the Nueva Vida school in la Mulatta. The school is very nice, beautiful gardens set out almost like a park. The classrooms are quite large and the the majority of the classrooms each have their own bathroom. For the older kids, each subject has a different teacher. There is an onsite library and computer room. The principal, (head mistress) speaks fluent English and is very nice. The price is very good as well, US$55 per month, (inscription is US$50). There are 3 different prices depending on the age of the child...sorry, but I can't remember the other two prices for the older kids. If you pay a full year in advance then you do not have to pay the inscription fee.
I really like the feeling of this school. Although my daughter is only 5, she has been going to the Cadin school in Islabon for the last 2 years, and we decided that it was time for a change. Our daughter also goes to the Nueva Vida school in Bombita in the mornings, (she is a busy 5 year old, one school in the morning, another in the afternoon....by HER choice I might add!! I am not a slave driver!). She is very happy as she will go to the new school but can still go to the other one in Bombita.
So it might be worth your while taking a look at the Nueva Vida school in la Mulatta. There are around 300 students, with about 20 children to each class. The children are Dominican and International, a nice mix.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you do not mind a lot of religion mixed in with the curriculum then the Nueva Vida is good. But some people do not want their children exposed to this.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
If you do not mind a lot of religion mixed in with the curriculum then the Nueva Vida is good. But some people do not want their children exposed to this.

You took the words out of my mouth....

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Does anyone have any updated opinions on The Learning Center vs. Garden Kids?
Positives/Negatives re: education system, location, environment, teachers....etc.

Thanks in advance.

sarita

May 5, 2005
Garden kids is a good school, the staff are nice and friendly, i have however heard that they've raised their fees quite a bit for the next year. I do'nt have much to say about The Learning center thats any different to the previous comments on here.
The new school that opened this year 'children's world' is getting very positive feedback. The word is that it has achieved great things this year and places are already filling up quickly for the next school year. I've heard that they've already had to close at least 2 grades as those particular grades are full already. Good luck with finding a school for your child. How old is he/she?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
You took the words out of my mouth....

Religion is a requirement of the Dominican school curriculum. My wife would prefer not to have a religion class at her school but it is a requirement. My oldest sons went to Catholic school her in Canada and quite enjoyed their religion classes in high school as they had an open teacher that allow freedom of speech and open discussion. None of them are religious now as adults.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Religion is a requirement of the Dominican school curriculum. My wife would prefer not to have a religion class at her school but it is a requirement.
To what extent, Bob? None of the private schools my son has gone to have taught religion as such. There was some religious content like a prayer at assembly/the occasional bible story in two of the four schools in question but at the other two it was completely absent. In any case, even where religion is taught it is not as intense as in a explicitly religious Evangelical or Catholic school. I take it from the name that Nueva Vida is Evangelical?

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
"Religion" is a requirement from the Board of Ed. but it's official name is Human Formation (Formacion Humana), so most schools (including the public schools) use it to work on morals and values if they do anything at all. A lot of schools incorporate it into the "Civica" class since the priniciples that are supposed to be taught in each are similar (being a good citizen, care of themselves, etc...) I've not seen too many private schools with no religious affiliation take this subject too seriously.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
"Religion" is a requirement from the Board of Ed. but it's official name is Human Formation (Formacion Humana), so most schools (including the public schools) use it to work on morals and values if they do anything at all. A lot of schools incorporate it into the "Civica" class since the priniciples that are supposed to be taught in each are similar (being a good citizen, care of themselves, etc...) I've not seen too many private schools with no religious affiliation take this subject too seriously.

It is as you say, unless the private school is a religious school, religion is taught as a combination civics,...etc class.