Have you all seen this idea

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I just received an email from one of my students, one of these FW: thingys that have a gazillion other email addresses on them.

But, what was interesting was the message. Someone out there in cyberspace is trying to organize a worldwide boycott on gasoline and diesel consumption for just one day! August 3, 2008....

Can you imagine that?? If the whole world were to stop purchasing fuel for just one day???? Maybe someone would get the idea...

So, pass it along to your list of "Contacts" and see if we can't help this idea along. It's just one day. You can fill up a day or two earlier, or use a little less during the week, or add a couple of dollars at each visit from now til then. Nothing to spike demand, and just one day of empty pumps would really be something...

Scatterbrained, I suppose but what the heck...

HB

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
That would involve people working together in a co-ordinated manner.

I think they tried it in the (Y)UK a couple of years ago - fuel prices are at record highs now ......

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
It would only work if nobody drove for one day.
Not buying fuel for a day wouldn't affect that week's sales by 1 penny.
So apart from it being near impossible to coordinate, it wouldn't have any effect.
fight-1.gif
What if we hire Bin Laden to change his priorities and go after the rich oil sheiks?
fight-1.gif

buttons66

Oct 3, 2006
Gas prices

Well all I know is that the Gas prices went down this week - so is there any point?

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Well all I know is that the Gas prices went down this week - so is there any point?
But you KNOW it will be going up again next week don't you?

Check the rate of pump price increases over the last year (or even 12 years in this country) & note the overall trend .......... UP, big time!! It doesn't cost any more to pull the oil out of the earth (maybe less due to scientific improvements to drilling etc) & I doubt if the 'Oil Rich Sheiks' are getting much more per barrell than they used to ............. the 'Profits' are going elsewhere - Governments in their taxes, Big Businesses who control the oil business & have their OWN agendas.

I understand the idea/concept of making the statement & IF it could be unilateral, maybe someone would hear 'that the natives are getting restless with constant fuel increases'. The PROBLEM as I see it though is that this 4th August is MONDAY - A WORKING day & businesses still have to get their vehicles out on deliveries etc. No WAY would they stop buying fuel for their vehicles on a normal working day - end of united boycott.

And whilst typing that above, another thought hit my mind .............. WHICH 24 hours do we choose? 00.01 in ONE country (start of boycott) is 12.01 in another country where the boycott hasn't started yet!! Hence the oil business would not SEE that there is a unified boycott of no petrol/diesel sales for a unified 24 hour period.

I AGREE a unified statement should be made - I just think there could be a better & more unified method of doing so. An INTERNATIONAL agreement not to have vehicles moving for a full 24 hours where GMT (or Zulu) is used as the commencing time for such a cease of transportation services?

Ah well, back to the drawing board!! ~ Grahame.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
But you KNOW it will be going up again next week don't you?

Check the rate of pump price increases over the last year (or even 12 years in this country) & note the overall trend .......... UP, big time!! It doesn't cost any more to pull the oil out of the earth (maybe less due to scientific improvements to drilling etc) & I doubt if the 'Oil Rich Sheiks' are getting much more per barrell than they used to ............. the 'Profits' are going elsewhere - Governments in their taxes, Big Businesses who control the oil business & have their OWN agendas.
Ah well, back to the drawing board!! ~ Grahame.

Oil exploration and recovery from new fields is much more expensive than before and yes those oil rich sheiks are making more per barrel. Government are also making more, but oil company profits are obscene.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Oil exploration and recovery from new fields is much more expensive than before and yes those oil rich sheiks are making more per barrel. Government are also making more, but oil company profits are obscene.

It is quite disgusting.

I wonder if trhe new administration, whether it be Dem or Rep will have the courage to tackle this issue. Our system of democracy and capitilism has proven adaptable in meeting and dissuading abuse before, but this will be as big a test as any. The good thing we have got going for us are opinion poles, if Americans got bothered enough about it that it is covered consistently by the press something will have to give, maybe.