music! help a Mainegirl out

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
So....long time no posting....I have not forgotten the DR or DR1, just been wicked busy. Finally started my Master's (teaching with technology). And OF COURSE I have a favor to ask of this community. (More than one actually, but one at a time.)

I have a YouTube account, and I am embedding YouTube videos into my class wiki to share music and culture with my students. My own musical taste is limited! If you look at my favorites you can see what I mean.

So...what LATIN MUSIC do you LOVE???? I'll see if it is on YouTube and add it to my favorites, to share.

I am ESPECIALLY interested in music with a SOCIAL MESSAGE. I am NOT INTERESTED in overtly sexual music. This will be shared with Maine high schoolers who will likely translate lyrics.

Help a gal out, post your faves here..better still if it is a link to it on YouTube.

A hundred thanks.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
"como decir te no" franco de vita.
Don't leave out a venezolano. :)
AZB

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
Try looking at some videos by Jaguares (they used to call themselves Caifanes), and they sure have a message in most of their songs and it's one the best Mexican rock bands of all times. What do you think ?

There's a few songs by Ricardo Arjona, and you should hear Franco De Vita's songs as well.. Los Hijos de la Oscuridad and No Basta have a very strong message about children/kids.

Let me know if you want more suggestions, ok

bonao99

Jun 11, 2005
My Favorites Artists

Laura Pausini
Manu Chao
La Ley
Juan Luis Guerra (440)
Bunbury
Ruben Blades
Al-Jadaqui
Toque Profundo
Jarabe de Palo
Willie Colon
Eros Ramazzotti
Sin Bandera
Enanitos Verdes

Bonao99

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
My ~50 year old High School French teacher got some otherwise dour students really interested in the language and culture of France with several awesome French movies, and some sampling of MC Solaar. Be hip - try Vico C.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Dear Main Girl: Look into the old merengues, they all had at least double meanings.
also look at the merengues written by Milton Pelaez in the 60s, 70s....some are now "raeggeton" ,,such as quitate t? pa' ponerme yo!

Roberto Carlos also has messages of a social nature and who more than Juan Luis Guerra!!

HB

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Well, if by "Latin music" you include Brazilian pagode, check out some of the older (late 70s, early 80s) stuff by Beth Carvalho. I particularly like the plaintive one (whose title escapes me just now) about how foreign ways and commercialization are killing popular samba...

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Well Juan Luis Guerra's music is always filled with messages, "ojala que llueva cafe", el niagara en bicicleta' and others

but there is a mexican rock group called 'El Tri" who has really good political messages or social messages that u can use.

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
thanks!!

Keith--by Latin music I mean all of it....I am using Manu Chau now who sings in French, Spanish, and Portuguese...

I really appreciate all the feedback from everyone!

Once I have built the page on my wiki I will link back to it here.

You guys are a great community.

And HB....I am getting this damn masters so I can come to PUCMM....

thanks again!!

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Well Juan Luis Guerra's music is always filled with messages, "ojala que llueva cafe", el niagara en bicicleta' and others

but there is a mexican rock group called 'El Tri" who has really good political messages or social messages that u can use.

Now that you mention it, there's another great Mexican group I love that often has social messages in their songs, Man?. I have several of their albums.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Latin alternative band from Colombia, Aterciopelados.....intriguing mix of traditional Latin music with sophisticated rock and electronica with a good dose of social commentary lyrics. Enjoy!:cheeky:

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Well Juan Luis Guerra's music is always filled with messages, "ojala que llueva cafe", el niagara en bicicleta' and others.

Yeah, like "buscando un sue?o" and "el costo de la vida" ;)

Once I got over the odd Dominican metaphor (bicycling across the Niagara Falls? who thought that one up?) I liked "en bicicleta". If you've ever visited a public clinic or hospital in the DR, you can relate.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Here are a few more, chosen for social comment and clarity:
Ana Belen, Mecano, Joan Manuel Serrat (all from Spain); Amparo Ochoa (Mexico), Susana Baca (Peru), Mercedes Sosa (Argentina), Caetano Veloso (Brazil, but sings in Spanish as well as Portuguese).

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Omara Portuondo, (Cuba) Latin Jazz, "Buena Vista Social Club Presents Omara Portuondo"

Federico Aubele, (Argentina) Trip Hop Tango, "Gran Hotel Buenos Aires"

Bebel Gilberto, (Brazil) Modern Samba, "Bebel Gilberto"