Marrying a Dominican.. the do's and Dont`s.. help.....

barcelona08

Jul 11, 2008
Hi there,

i have been avidly reading all your blogs and am now filled with questions that am hoping some of you may be able to help me with

I am an English woman living in Spain since January ... time flies by!!

My boyfriend is a Dominican and I have recently just got back from Santo Domingo after having spent 2 weeks with him and his family. Brothers, sisters, Dad, Mum, cousins... obviously not living with all of them but spent a good part of the trip getting to know them better . we have decided that we would like to get married. Unfortunately due to my job ( I am self employed) i will not be able to move and live in the Dom Rep and so the idea is that he will eventually join me out here in Spain. What i need advice with is how does it all work???... as in will he be able to live with me in Spain if i have Spanish citizenship even though i am British?
The plan is to get married in November, what do I need to take with me to legally marry over there and what are the steps one takes once married to get him to join me and start our future in Europe together?....

I am sure many of you will tell me that I am being blind and that he is only after one thing and that is to make his way to Europe... fair enough.. each are entitled to their opinion... i have no money so that is something i will not be able to give him and he is fully aware of this.. plus he has always been keen on the idea of me moving out there however understands that its not possibl so as we wish to be together we are both prepared to make sacrifices....

right will stop blabbing and hope that some of you will be able to answer me some questions....

thank you

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
do whatever you wish

papers needed for marriage here would be a copy of your passport, a copy of your birth certificate and a document proving your single status. two latter translated into spanish and stamped in a dominician embassy i believe in a country of your origin but you may be able to certify them in spain.

your dominican husband has no chance to get a citizenship either spanish or british. for that he would have to live with you for a long time (in spain or UK). work permit as your husband - yes. but no citizenship for years to come. check with british and spanish immigration for details regarding citizenship - they have different laws but just as severe.

barcelona08

Jul 11, 2008
Thanks for quick answer......

I am going to sound super dumb but better to know everything than nada... a work permit will allow him to live in my country of residence correct?.... and once we are married how long roughly would it take for him to be allowed over.... lengthy processs correct?...... thanks for your help!

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
A dominican friend of mine married a spanish woman here in the Domiican republic. They then applied at the spanish embassy here for him to go to Spain. From what I remember firstly the marriage had to be recognised in Spain so they had to take all of the papers to the embassy here. Remember to get an in extensa marriage certificate which costs more than the basic one. In fact get lots as I have got through 7 so far. After the marriage had been recognised then he had to apply for his visa. I think he then had to wait a period of time maybe 3 or 6 months before he received a work permit there. I think the whole process after the wedding took about a year.

However, Spain have just got a new law or rule or something and they are repatriating lots of Dominincans. I am not sure if it is just the illegal ones or the legal ones too. You should check this out first, as maybe they are now no longer allowing visas to Dominicans - married or not.

Good luck

matilda (english married to Dominican and living in the Dominican Republic)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
getting a visa and work permit is a lengthy process, yes. may be easier if your future husband has education and is a professional - so that he is easily employable...

barcelona08

Jul 11, 2008
wow......

Thanks Matilda...

for the fear of sounding dumb again.. what is an extensa marriage certificate?? and what do you mean you have got through 7??.....

Yeah am aware that the Spanish have got new laws in... looks like love is going to really fight this one through... still i have faith so I guess thats the most important thing!!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Thanks Matilda...

for the fear of sounding dumb again.. what is an extensa marriage certificate?? and what do you mean you have got through 7??.....
Was a typo.
Should read "gone through", and it means that Matilda has had cause to produce 7 copies of that document.

barcelona08

Jul 11, 2008
typo indeed....

Yeah... having been brought up in Italy and English being my 2nd language, unfortunately I often make huge grammatical errors... my mother would be horrified!! thanks for the correction!

barcelona08

Jul 11, 2008
correction...

paranoid about my grammar or what!! just realized you were not correcting me.... anyway, thanks!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Barcelona click here for papers you'll need to get married in the DR.

Also

posted by Sangria

For You...

passport

single status affidavit stamped by a notary, translated into spanish by a certified translator & legalized by the dominican consulate.

birth certificate (some hotels request this to be translated & legalized as well)

For your fiancee...

cedula

if either of you have been married before you would need additional documents proving divorce/death etc also translated & legalized.

If you are getting married in a hotel you need to submit these early depending on the hotels requirements.

Cost to have the docs translated & legalized by the consulate is $140.00US per document.

birth certificate (some hotels request this to be translated & legalized as well)

Last edited:

barcelona08

Jul 11, 2008
question

Does this mean that i can get my statuary notice and birth certificate translated in the Dom Rep rather than in the UK???.... slightly confused..... as UK charges are really high and if i can have them translated in the DR would be much nicer....

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
There are two types of marraige certificate. The basic one which is short and a longer one which is called en extensa. It has a stamp at the bottom too. Each time you need to produce your certificate it has to be the en extensa version, and they keep it.

Changing name of bank account
New passport
Visa applications x 4
Cedula
etc etc

You should ask for the en extensa certificate when you marry or they will just give you the basic one. And get as many copies as you think you will need at the time as they are more expensive later.

Matilda

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
If you have any questions about a visa or sponsoring your husband after marriage you can ask in our visa forum.

We only deal with visa questions in that forum and not your personal life. ;)

Spain doesn't have a website for the DR but you'll find the contact info here

EMBAJADA DE ESPA?A EN DOMINICANA, REP?BLICA

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Barcelona,

To get married in the DR, you have to have your documents translated & notarized in the UK and then legalized by the Dominican Consulate in the UK.

After you are married and start the immigration process, you can have your marriage certificate & your husbands documents translated into English by a certified translator in the DR (probably much cheaper than having it done in the UK).

Sangria

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
forgot to say

...when i did mine...

i had the single status notarized & then mailed it to the consulate to do the translation & legalization.

I believe you have the option to do the translation yourself or have the consulate do it for a fee.

sangria

peteclaffey

Apr 30, 2006
I got married in Santiago in Nov 07, I had all my documents transated in Santiago, total cost about 15,000 peso.

Last edited by a moderator: