Dr Gps?

Golfer

Apr 7, 2002
Searched the forums for GPS and came up with nothing. Does anyone know if any companies are offering a functioning GPS system for our beloved island? Would be invaluable in La Capital to extricate yourself from some of the barrios without street signs. With GPS capability intergrated into new cell phones and PDAs and with as many cars as are cramming Dominican cities you would think there would be a healthy market. I know I would buy one.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Searched the forums for GPS and came up with nothing. Does anyone know if any companies are offering a functioning GPS system for our beloved island? Would be invaluable in La Capital to extricate yourself from some of the barrios without street signs. With GPS capability intergrated into new cell phones and PDAs and with as many cars as are cramming Dominican cities you would think there would be a healthy market. I know I would buy one.
Apparently not.
I know folks who have some larger maps. covering other countries/islands, that show approximate locations in the DR, including highways.

goodvin

Jul 23, 2007
I have HTC communicator with GPS chip and I use some russian free program to navigate with Garmin maps or maps in polish format. I have map for all Dominicana, but it is not very good in towns (it doesn't have all roads), so I draw it by my self. If you are interesting in that kind of navigation, I can give that map and advice what to buy.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Tracking

Even with out the needed maps for the DR, you can make sure your GPS has the tracking feature turned on. Thus when you enter a barrio or go out into the country, you will see the track of how you got to your destination and back track your way out.

I did not bring my old GPS down here, but after a friend followed me to my house in his vehicle,
I told him I would lead him back out.

That's when he said "no problem", he has the track on his GPS. :ermm:
Sometimes we just overlook the obvious!

So, next trip back to the states, I?m bringing back my old GPS.........

The screen resolution goes all the way down to 200 feet, I could almost make the back track turns without even looking at the road. And if you did any loops getting to your destination, you can bypass them on the way back out.

Don SantiagoDR

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Even with out the needed maps for the DR, you can make sure your GPS has the tracking feature turned on. Thus when you enter a barrio or go out into the country, you will see the track of how you got to your destination and back track your way out.

I did not bring my old GPS down here, but after a friend followed me to my house in his vehicle,
I told him I would lead him back out.

That's when he said "no problem", he has the track on his GPS. :ermm:
Sometimes we just overlook the obvious!

So, next trip back to the states, I?m bringing back my old GPS.........

The screen resolution goes all the way down to 200 feet, I could almost make the back track turns without even looking at the road. And if you did any loops getting to your destination, you can bypass them on the way back out.

Don SantiagoDR
We've trached the routes of our tours.

Russ Offord tracked the Jarabacoa area and offers it on his website: Russ Offord - GPS / Google Earth Projects. It was posted on DR1 before.

Budson

Mar 10, 2004
You can take google earth data and your tracks of as you travel and build your own basemaps for Garmins using the Trackmaker sw from this site. GPS TrackMaker

I have done most of the DR this way and it works pretty good.