pool supplies-sosua/cabarete

elton

My thread snapped!
Jul 1, 2008
anyone any idea on the best place for pool supplies on price (tablets and chlorine powder ect) it seems to vary widely from week to week in the one i use, is this normal - i tried writing down to compare

the same tub of powder week one rd 750 week two rd 1350 does it vary that much-but tablet price went down rd 750 to rd 510 - perhaps it depends what price is in the price gun at the time

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Chlorine in Sosua

We buy tri cloro at the hardware store in front of police station in Sosua for 75 pesos per pound and find it to be as economical as anywhere. If someone has a cheaper price plz advise. Pool supply places around here seem to be popping up like pimples in puberty, so there must be a good mark-up on supplies.

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
Apparently there are differences in the quality of the products. We get our pucks and chemicals from the American Pool store right next to the post office in Sosua. We have found the quality of the products surpasses that of other local products.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You can save a lot of money if you go to Puerta Plata. The same things you are getting in Sosua is a lot cheaper.

The place I am talking about is on the road towards Santiago about 2 km after the turn on your left. It is set back at a large intersection. Sort of a semi circle. I do not know the name, but you will save a lot, and get good products.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Sky could you be more detailed in where this store is in POP and its name? thanks Phil

The name I do not know. Coming from Sosua you turn at the circle where the Baseball Stadium is towards the left in the direction of Santiago. Continue about 2 or 3km. You will come to a circle where the street is coming up from the Malecon. At this circle turn left and you will see it about 15 meters back from the street. It is rather large and hard to miss. Just be aware for a circle with a lot of traffic and you cannot miss it. Go slow.

cork

Aug 23, 2003
Suplidora Internacional Freddy

The name I do not know. Coming from Sosua you turn at the circle where the Baseball Stadium is towards the left in the direction of Santiago. Continue about 2 or 3km. You will come to a circle where the street is coming up from the Malecon. At this circle turn left and you will see it about 15 meters back from the street. It is rather large and hard to miss. Just be aware for a circle with a lot of traffic and you cannot miss it. Go slow.

Also in the International Plaza (Ceducompp) in Sos?a.

809-571 4142

Speaks English too.

At the Pro Source Sos?a (next to Post Office) 15 pucks for RD$540 Soon moving to new location next to Jumbo.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Also in the International Plaza (Ceducompp) in Sos?a.

809-571 4142

Speaks English too.

At the Pro Source Sos?a (next to Post Office) 15 pucks for RD$540 Soon moving to new location next to Jumbo.

This is not the place I recommended. You will pay more here than in PP.

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Sorry Sky, couldn't find your place. I went to Freddy's here in POP and picked up some pucks for 28 peso's each, including tax. They do not carry the granular chlorine but I picked some up at Plaza Ferreteria El Muelle, again, here in POP for 65 peso's a pound, including tax.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
pool chemicals

Are the places and prices in this thread still current? Also, our pool algaecide doesn't seem to be working very well and we were wondering who would have the highest quality products to combat algae.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
you may need your sand in the filter changing - this happened to me , I think it needs changing every three to five years

May 8, 2009

Unfortunately these types of systems only work with your pump running. From what I have learned, they are just a modern, high-tech dispenser of old-fashioned, liquid, metallic algaecides (copper, nickel, & silver). The presence of the metal in the water stops the plants/algae from being able to bloom.

How do these systems provide residual sanitizer to oxidize bather waste (urea), decompose hydrocarbons (suntan lotions, oils, shampoos, soaps, make-up, etc.), or how they kill viruses or pathogens (that are not plants)?

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
yes and yes .....I asked about salt pools a while ago , some people said it was the best thing since sliced bread and some were changing back so I didnt get very far with that research.

likewise with pool surfaces- not found anything that everyone agrees is good.....tiles/concrete/marmalade lol

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
how much salt do you actually need per year- some people only use a small amout and others are using bags of the stuff (maybe the wrong type of salt)

Goober17

Apr 30, 2010
chlorine tablets (pucks)

this thread seems to be about 1 year since a reply......any updated info on where in Sosua & prices?
thx in advance