Living on a boat?

bass8lbs

Jun 30, 2008
Are there any DR1 people living on a boat in the DR or know people who do? Part-time or full-time living on-board experiences would be welcomed knowledge for this poster who is considering doing the same.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
There are lots of people living on sailboats in Luperon. Its worth a trip there to hear their stories. Lots of characters. Google "sailing luperon" look for stories or blogs.

Lots of people intended to say a few weeks (hurricane hole) and stayed to live. Great landscape and people.

Here is a an interesting link by Bruce Van Sant.
http://www.thornlesspath.com/index.htm

bass8lbs

Jun 30, 2008
There are lots of people living on sailboats in Luperon. Its worth a trip there to hear their stories. Lots of characters. Google "sailing luperon" look for stories or blogs.
Lots of people intended to say a few weeks (hurricane hole) and stayed to live. Great landscape and people.
Here is a an interesting link by Bruce Van Sant.
http://www.thornlesspath.com/index.htm
That was a very useful suggestion to google search 'sailing Luperon'; it provided me with alot of links to personal experiences and Forums which will add to my research, Thank you Luperon!
I have read Bruce Van Sant's books & website and have communicated directly with him and am making a special trip to Luperon to meet him and others who live/have lived on their boats.

Here's a blog from one of our sailing DR1 members.
It's Irie
This was a very interesting read, and it also came up in the above google search. I would appreciate any other links to blogs or websites of people's sailing/curising experiences in the Carribean, of course with emphasis on the DR.

bass8lbs

Jun 30, 2008
Those are the only folks who I know in Luperon, so I have no other info.
Thanks Rocky, I really appreciate that link. My request is extended to all DR1 members who have any knowledge or links that could contribute to my research.

flo

Apr 11, 2006
pass by the luperon yachtclub, all sailors meet there at night for dinner, you will meet a lot of interesting and helpful people and you probably learn more at a night over a few presidente then in weeks of reading.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
There is only way to go that I know of: Take the main road toward Santiago (not the mountain road). After about 20 minutes (when the sugar cane fields start) , take a right (there is a sign that says Luperon). Then another 30 minutes and you are there. If you hit Imbert, you missed your turn and went a couple minutes too far.

I am told there is another road along the coast, I have never tried it and most likely it would be more time consuming, but maybe an adventure. If anyone knows that route I would love to hear it.

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
From Puerta Plata the road is in good condition, paved with the usual potholes, and once you make the right turn onto the road to Luperon the road is in good paved condition into Luperon. It is curvy though with occassional livestock, so take your time.