love to have some info

Deepcreek

Jun 25, 2008
Hi my name is Bill. I booked a vacation in november in sosua. I never been to the Dominican Republic. But i here a lot of great things. I also here do not leave the resorts. I here it is a great place to call it home after you retire.I 'm trying to learn some Spainish. I bought that rosetta stone. I'm a Baltimore city Fire Fighter i have been doing it for 23 years everybody knows we are the murder capital of the US. I hate snow just want a place to call home and not worry about making it after i retire. Could it be as bad as Baltimore Maryland. I say na if i like it i will take my chances in the Dominican Republic. I would love to get some feed back. Bill

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hi my name is Bill. I booked a vacation in november in sosua. I never been to the Dominican Republic. But i here a lot of great things. I also here do not leave the resorts. I here it is a great place to call it home after you retire.I 'm trying to learn some Spainish. I bought that rosetta stone. I'm a Baltimore city Fire Fighter i have been doing it for 23 years everybody knows we are the murder capital of the US. I hate snow just want a place to call home and not worry about making it after i retire. Could it be as bad as Baltimore Maryland. I say na if i like it i will take my chances in the Dominican Republic. I would love to get some feed back. Bill
After your vacation in November, you will have a better idea if you like it here or not, and you can take it from there.
The DR is not for everybody and it can be similar to moving to another Planet, so you do have to check it out thoroughly, before making a life changing decision.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
As long as you are a strong man , able to defend yourself, keep low profile, do not flush your money and eat at home not in overpriced restaurants you will be alright in terms of personal and financial safety and this country is great.

In places like Sosua or Cabarete you`ll meet alot of expats. Majority of them - decent honest retirees who moved away from rat race and war hysteria to have a quiet life. Of course like everywhere there are some crooks who are wanted in their countries and try to set up and rip-off fresh rooky fellow expats.

But we do not spoil this beautiful Sunday morning talking about few rotten apples and their tricks. With time good people will warn you how to protect yourself. If you want you may PM me I have some experience to share.

Welcome to the beautiful Dominican Republic! If you are alert and aware you`ll find a true paradise here!!

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Native Baltimorean

Bill,

Will be sending you a PM as soon as I get time.
I?m from Baltimore and my brother is also a Fire Fighter up in Maryland.

Don SantiagoDR

Hazard

Mar 10, 2008
Sounds like a plan Bill. Similar to yourself, but Canadian and in the process of completing the move. We started to go down some time ago, dutifully checked out all the information from here - and many other sites and from a wide variety of very helpful people in the DR (thanks!). Looked at other places internationally, but always came back to consider the DR, and we liked the northcoast - many reasons, but the people, weather, diversity and perhaps oddly "freedom" were all factors. DEFINITELY a world of difference from what we were used to, but we lived in various cultures thru the years always as minorities. Doing the Spanish now! I'd say best plan is to take all the information in, make a few trips down to "explore", go slow to see if there is a "fit" with your interests, and then be flexible. We have wandered about the north coast, taking basic safety precautions as we would do anywhere, NO problems - and this is coming from a Canadian! We're thinking the safety issues are much "highlighted" by the all-abusives (inclusives), to keep the crowds (and their money) inside their compounds. The advice of the contributors above, is certainly sound, and wish you the best in your explorations!

Deepcreek

Jun 25, 2008
Thanks

Thanks i'm new to even the computer age. But i guess i'm doing ok. Just want to see. When i was in the marine corp allways went were we were not to go . Never had a problem but safety in numbers is a good thing. But never had it all the time. Still no problem I guess i have to check it out for my self. Do you live there. I have been to Denmark Norway PI Korea Japan. They all had their spots never no problem. So how did you come up with AK 74. Are you from the Russia

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
We're thinking the safety issues are much "highlighted" by the all-abusives (inclusives), to keep the crowds (and their money) inside their compounds. The advice of the contributors above, is certainly sound, and wish you the best in your explorations!

Got to love the "all abusives" comment. Truth is, the most dangerous location on this planet imo is in Fort Worth, Texas. That's where my Dad was robbed and murdered in his living room. Crime here? Yes, but certainly not to the extent of the US. Be sensible and not flashy. Do you want a good, wholesome and pleasant life? I've found mine here. Want trouble, torment and problems? They are also available here. Depends on what you want. If you ever consider living here, skip the all-abusives. They are profit motivated only that rely on scare tactics to sell their product.

sparky11867

Jan 5, 2008
safe....

I agree with the above comments. I was in the DR twice this year (and I now have my tickets for November), and I never once felt unsafe, and I am a woman. The first time I was there was with my 65 yr. old mother and we never felt threatened or scared. I often walked by myself around Sosua without mom and never had a problem. On that trip, we rented a one bedroom apartment in town, and I felt completely safe there as well. On the second trip, we stayed at an AI but we left frequently and often to experience the "outside" world. As far as AIs go, I highly recommend the Sosua Bay Hotel. It didn't feel isolated and the staff never cautioned us about leaving the resort. The location was fabulous!

I am from Chicago, and I live in a somewhat rough neighborhood that is notorious for it's gang activity and general shennanigans. If you can handle Baltimore, I think you can handle the DR. Good luck!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I will second the above posts.
While this might not be for everyone, it is a nice place to live.
Please come and visit Santiago, since it is a "real" city that is not tied into ex-pats or tourists and where you have a wider range of activities. It is an option, at least.

Hey Mabel, Black Label!!!

HB