just how windy is cabarete bay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kidishin

Jul 13, 2008
Hi everyone,
I am organizing a family vacation for three generations (9 people, ages 9 months to 64, but also three twentysomethings and two thirtysomethings.) We previously stayed at the Punta Cana Resort for three nights last year and it was such a success (despite the craziness of all of us living on different continents coming for such a short trip) that I've been given leave to plan another trip. It seems clear that a villa is our best option for amenities, preferences, and budget, and after perusing almost every four bedroom option on the internet, we're excited about Cabarete Baywatch (cabaretebaywatch.com, though we await a response on availability.) Since this is a complicated group to please, I wanted to run my reservations by the experienced folks here.

1) Given that Cabarete is an adventure sport beach, does that mean it's too windy to lay back and relax? With a few exceptions, this is not an adventurous group. We want to go to the beach in addition to the pool, and my concern is that it's too windy and that the waves are too big. Is this universally true, or just some beaches?

2) The chill backpacker vibe seems advantageous for the twentysomethings if they want to break away for a night or two. But do people think it will be loud at night where this place is located? That would be a problem both for the older folks and the baby. Unclear whether I'd get a straight answer out of the owner!

3) I'm drawn to Cabrera because there are golfers in the group but it seems insanely overpriced. Are the beaches there really worth it, golf aside? And are there any restaurants around there if we don't want to fully self cater and are priced out of cook service there?

Thanks so much!

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
The wind and the wave are mild during the day, but pick up usually around 3PM. Plenty of places ot eat and enough tours are available to suit abount any age. Where you are thinking of staying shouldn't be noisey, but that depends on who is staying nearby when you are here. If you can't get that villa, Ocean Dream and Ocean 1, have large 3 and 4 BR condos on the beach that I know are available. Best of luck. Hope this helps.

mike.n.amy

Jun 4, 2007
Cabarete is definitely windy. It's personal opinion whether it's too much for sunbathing on the beach or not. The wind is a life-saver in the summer heat, though! If you don't like being sandblasted while sunbathing, stick to the pool on the really windy days. The beach is great for walking, but you will get hit with sand if you're sitting in a beach chair most days.

I'd definitely recommend Cabarete over Cabrera. I'd recommend trying to negotiate a better rate on the villa. Most of the advertised rates around here are up for negotiation as we found out from surfing the net and then talking to owners/landlords.

I can't comment on that location specifically regarding noise, but it does seem like EVERYWHERE in the DR is noisy. Whether it's motoconchos on the roads, pickups with the backs filled with speakers blaring at all hours, dogs barking...you name it!

Enjoy your trip!

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
For the golfers in your group, playa grande (a must play for any golfter) is located less than an hours drive from Cabarete (10 mins from Cabrera) and Playa Dorada is less than 30 mins from Cabarete (1hr 30mins from Cabrera). Cabarete will definitely give the tourist more options for food, entertainment etc. Tom

Kidishin

Jul 13, 2008
golf

Thanks so much for the tips on Playa Grande and Playa Dorada. Between the two, Playa Grande strikes me (a non-golfer) as better. Is that true?

We ended up booking at Cabarete Baywatch. It's 6 months away but I can't stop thinking about it!

Status
Not open for further replies.