Heads Up - They're organizing early this year

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Noaa says that the tropical wave and broad area of low pressure about 1500 miles East of the Southern Windward Islands is showing signs of wanting to organize itself. The expectation is that this one will be an early tropical depression as it moves westward.</pre>

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
We've had Bertha drifting around out in the Atlantic for so long now that it is almost a relief to see that Bermuda is now under a hurricane watch and therefore and end is in sight. Bertha has lost most of her teeth however with the days whirling about over open and colder ocean, so Bermuda should come through this fine.

94L, The tropical wave that seems to be wanting to organize out there in the Atlantic early in its life and relatively early in the season, bears a little watching now. It is becoming a candidate for a tropical depression and further development will make it into a storm. This may be the first storm of the season that will reach the Caribbean Basin. I never trust them if they declare themselves so early ;)

Just a general comment .. I've been having a sense that over the world natural disasters are beginning to become more frequent but then doubted myself .. thinking that it may only be better reporting or that I may be more vigilant and noticing more. But now a Reuters report caught my attention this morning reporting this self-same thing. Natural disasters are becoming more frequent. Oxfam said in 2007 that natural disasters quadrupled over the past 20 years.

There still is no definitive link between increase in hurricane activity and climate change but many scientists are looking into this thing to figure out what the real story is.

Last edited by a moderator:

mike444

Jul 15, 2008
i am planning on going to Punta Cana middle of september for a week....should I postpone it and not buy my ticket and wait until march instead....because of the weather risks...

thanks...

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
No, for sure I would not change travel plans. If one area is hit by a storm, you can always move to another area.

The low pressure 94L that we've been watching has organized itself better overnight and after entering the caribbean basin. A tropical storm could form at any time as the system moves toward the West at 20 miles per hour. This system is now just to the Northwest of Aruba.

Here is the satellite view Atlantic Graphical Tropical Weather Outlook

This is what the basin looks like currently:
(courtesy of Central Florida Hurricane Center)

July17mess.jpg

Last edited:

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Wow, 94L looks pretty scary, especially after the experience we had with Noel and Olga. Do you think there's any possibility it will move north and be on our midst sometime this weekend?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
No, don't think of 'scary' yet ... it is too early in the season for that :laugh: Most of the convection or water in this system is North of it. Somehow the system is persisting (the low) but the convection is iffy, so, we need to see both develop before we can even think of 'scary' ;). Just be aware of this system for the next day or so.

More seriously, it is because of last season's experiences and the tremendous amounts of rain that I'm doing a heads-up here. As we learnt yet again, even a tropical storm that does not make it fully to our shores can create extensive damage.

A good wakeup call to complete any hurricane preparedness actions that are not complete if you are on or near the coast. For example, cleaning up the garden and removing anything that could become a 'projectile' in a storm.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Mike, mid-September is the middle of hurricane season. This has never stopped me from going anywhere as the probability of a storm exactly where you are is extremely small. It is however the height of hurricane season.

While Dolly and Christobal passed us by, there is talk of a strong, vigorous and well defined tropical wave coming off of Western Africa. This system will become a tropical cyclone quickly and depending where it heads to, we may have to keep vigilant toward the end of next week.

The season has truly become busy very fast and on both sides of the thin landmass that separates the Caribbean Sea from the Pacific Ocean, all things 'weather' are really busy.

rymatt

Jul 23, 2008
Noaa says that the tropical wave and broad area of low pressure about 1500 miles East of the Southern Windward Islands is showing signs of wanting to organize itself. The expectation is that this one will be an early tropical depression as it moves westward.</pre>[/QUO

i'm leaving to puerto plata friday july 25. any idea if i should be expecting bad weather

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
There is nothing on the horizon to cause a 'knickers in a knot' syndrome right at the moment. ;) Enjoy your vacations.

July so far has had an unusual amount of tropical activity. Thankfully the last few days have been a little calmer. July kicked off with Bertha, Christobal and Dolly as well as a few more strong tropical waves launching themselves from the African coast. Since 1851, only six other seasons produced three or more tropical storms in July.

I'm enjoying the relative peace for a few days and keeping one lazy eye on a wave exiting the African coast as we speak. August and particularly September are traditionally the busiest months for hurricane activity and we will no doubt experience some tense hours in the weeks to come.

jshin

Jul 31, 2008
Santo Domingo/Caberete

I have a trip planned for one night in Santo Domingo August 8 and then moving onto Caberete from August 9-13. We are staying one day in Samana in between that time as well.
We have never been to DR before and I'm hoping the weather will hold, in terms of no hurricanes. I was wondering if you could provide some outlook on the weather for that time period. Thank you!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
My crystal ball says it will rain in Saman?, but not much. You might get rains but that is all, and you will enjoy them!!! Here, kids run out into the streets and dance in the rain!!

HB

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
It has been fairly quiet for the last week days over the complete hurricane basin.

We have one system way past us in the Gulf of Mexico, an area of low pressure about 900 miles East of the Northern Leeward islands and finally a small tropical wave 650 miles west-southwest of the Cape Verde Islands.

Little to watch and even less to get excited about which is how I like it during hurricane season.

Bonus

Aug 13, 2008
Hello everyone!
I'm planning to visit DR, Punta Cana to one of it's hotels during last two weeks in September. Is it true that most hurricanes hit the North and South coasts? The information about weather in DR which I recieve in Europe is rather discrepant. Thanks in advance.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Is it true that most hurricanes hit the North and South coasts?

This is a very misleading statement in many respects :ermm: No, I could not say most hurricanes hit the North and South Coast. I can say that the few hurricanes that hit the DR since mankind started keeping records of these kinds of things, mostly hit the South Coast. The DR has a very small East Coast and hardly any West Coast. On the West Coast is where Haiti is.

Chances are that you will be fine. The last hurricane hit the North Coast in 2003. Yes it is the height of the hurricane season. The vast majority of visitors will not experience a hurricane. Come on down and enjoy yourself.

Last edited: