Sick and tired of parking meters (santiago) :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Speaking of getting screwed: First the city of santiago announced that parking meters will only be installed on main avenues (example: calle del sol, restauracion etc). they did just that and few people complained. then they expanded them to other streets (example: mine) and now they are everywhere, even the tiny back streets and all. there is absolutely no place to park for free in santiago downtown. If you are late in putting in coins, you get a 300 peso ticket. We are all going nuts with these new parking meters.
I have to hand it to people from capital. When the city decided to install parking meters in santo domingo, the folks there destroyed all the installed meters in the first phase of program. All were destroyed and the city quickly got the idea that it will be a bad idea. santiaguers, on the other hand, are laid back and stupid. We let them create a monster that now we all regret.
AZB

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
Speaking of getting screwed: First the city of santiago announced that parking meters will only be installed on main avenues (example: calle del sol, restauracion etc). they did just that and few people complained. then they expanded them to other streets (example: mine) and now they are everywhere, even the tiny back streets and all. there is absolutely no place to park for free in santiago downtown. If you are late in putting in coins, you get a 300 peso ticket. We are all going nuts with these new parking meters.
I have to hand it to people from capital. When the city decided to install parking meters in santo domingo, the folks there destroyed all the installed meters in the first phase of program. All were destroyed and the city quickly got the idea that it will be a bad idea. santiaguers, on the other hand, are laid back and stupid. We let them create a monster that now we all regret.
AZB

Being civilized comes with a price. And it looks like it is about 300 pesos.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
AZB:

I would think a Santiague of your stature would only have his coach valet parked and not worry about such trivia!

tambo'

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Being civilized comes with a price. And it looks like it is about 300 pesos.

Its not just 300 pesos, you have to go to the damn ticket office to pay it.
I have gotten 2 tickets already. :(
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
AZB:

I would think a Santiague of your stature would only have his coach valet parked and not worry about such trivia!

tambo'

Actually I do have a guy watching my car and putting in money from time to time but, sometimes, he disappears and I get a ticket. :(
AZB

Mar 2, 2008
Perhaps the parking meters of Santiago are responsible for the ongoing coin shortage.

Coincidence? I don't think so!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Actually I do have a guy watching my car and putting in money from time to time but, sometimes, he disappears and I get a ticket. :(
AZB

I will watch it for ya', just leave me a roll of coins and a few pesos for a chimi!

tambo'

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
there was a trick used in NYC to confuse the parking meter. You take a quarter and put it half way in the coin slot. hold it there for a minute and the digital parking meter would go out of service. Now you could park for free because the parking meter was damaged. The tech would have to reset it. Now the newer parking meters in santiago reset themselves automatically after a few minutes.
AZB

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
AZB

Why don't you buy or rent a nice house? in a high class naighborhood...The down town area is not a good are to live.

JJ.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
AZB

Like, in every big city in the world you need to pay to park in the Downtown area, Santiaguo shouldn't be the exception, the law is the law and everybody need to comply with it.

Santiagueses are NOT Stupid, laid back YES. Los Capitalenos son unos antisociales, por esa razon La Capital es un desastres.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
AZB's office is downtown, not his house.

OOOh well.... I think is time for a monthly parking deck. it is cheaper than the public parking meters. That is what I'm doing here in Raleigh, parking cars for " McLauling parking Co. "

JJ.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Like, in every big city in the world you need to pay to park in the Downtown area, Santiaguo shouldn't be the exception, the law is the law and everybody need to comply with it.

Santiagueses are NOT Stupid, laid back YES. Los Capitalenos son unos antisociales, por esa razon La Capital es un desastres.

In one big European capital several years ago city authorities also decided to mimic USA and installed parking meters in the streets.

The very next morning all of them were destroyed. City got the message - no more meters for citizens.

It has nothing to do with LAW. City and its streets belongs to its PEOPLE, not to a handful of high level officials to to be used for their personal enrichment or to cover and compensate for their economic mismanagement and incompetence.

Law - is something that is good for all society, not for a chosen few at expense of the majority.

People of that remote country are known for their nonbreakable independent freedome loving fighting nature. Maybe because of cold winters.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Hey Leonel wants to make the DR a small version of NY City...there you have it. I was just in NY City...40 USD to park and no in/out privileges. I got a 115 USD ticket just for parking for 5 minutes in a street, right next to a meter which I had put in money into, but apparently you need a commercial license to park there...You think Santiago is irritating...

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
In one big European capital several years ago city authorities also decided to mimic USA and installed parking meters in the streets.

The very next morning all of them were destroyed. City got the message - no more meters for citizens.

It has nothing to do with LAW. City and its streets belongs to its PEOPLE, not to a handful of high level officials to to be used for their personal enrichment or to cover and compensate for their economic mismanagement and incompetence.

Law - is something that is good for all society, not for a chosen few at expense of the majority.

People of that remote country are known for their nonbreakable independent freedome loving fighting nature. Maybe because of cold winters.

If the population of Santiago didn't destroy the Meters is because they approved it. If anyone doesn't want to pay to park, take a taxi or a Carro de Concho.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
If the population of Santiago didn't destroy the Meters is because they approved it. If anyone doesn't want to pay to park, take a taxi or a Carro de Concho.

Or a taxi sing on top of the car, there are free taxi parking in the corner of the street. That is what I used to do.

JJ.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007

By the same logic the next step must be tax on air - city, state and federal taxes on breathing. And each citizen is given a free democratic constitutional choice - either to pay to breathe or to receive at a special department a discount coupon for early cremation.

Status
Not open for further replies.