Have you become a Dominican Citizen yet?

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
I'm kind of curious, how many of the foreigners that had been living in the DR for 5yr or more had become Dominican citizen?

If you are not Dominican citizen yet, why NOT?

If you went through the process to become a DR Citizen, how the process works?

Did you received a Certifice of Naturalization?

Did the Dominican government has Naturaliztion ceremony?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I actually shall start the process in the near future... it's been 11 years, and I am tired of renewing the "residencia permanente" every 2 years...

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Only foreiners women married to dominicans are able to get the dominican naturalzation .

T I T U L O III
DERECHOS POLITICOS
SECCION I
DE LA NACIONALIDAD
ART.11.- Son dominicanos:

Todas las personas que nacieren en el territorio de la Rep?blica, con excepci?n de los hijos leg?timos de los extranjeros residentes en el pa?s en representaci?n diplom?tica o los que est?n de tr?nsito en ?l.
Las personas que al presente est?n investidas de esta calidad en virtud de constituciones y leyes anteriores.
Todas las personas nacidas en el extranjero, de padre o madre dominicanos, siempre que, de acuerdo con las leyes del pa?s de su nacimiento, no hubieren adquirido una nacionalidad extra?a; o que, en caso de haberla adquirido, manifestaren, por acto ante un oficial p?blico remitido al Poder Ejecutivo, despu?s de alcanzar la edad de diez y ocho (18) a?os, su voluntad de optar por la nacionalidad dominicana.
Los naturalizados. La ley dispondr? las condiciones y formalidades requeridas para la naturalizaci?n.
P?rrafo I. Se reconoce a los dominicanos la facultad de adquirir una nacionalidad extranjera.
P?rrafo II. La mujer dominicana casada con un extranjero podr? adquirir la nacionalidad de su marido.

P?rrafo III. La mujer extranjera que contrae matrimonio con un dominicano seguir? la condici?n de su marido, a menos que las leyes de su pa?s le permitan conservar su nacionalidad, caso en el cual tendr? la facultad de declarar, en el acta de matrimonio, que declina la nacionalidad dominicana.

P?rrafo IV. La adquisici?n de otra nacionalidad no implica la p?rdida de la nacionalidad dominicana. Sin embargo, los dominicanos que adquieran otra nacionalidad no podr?n optar por la Presidencia o Vicepresidencia de la Rep?blica.

JJ.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I have applied for my temporary residency already and plan to become a citizen at some point. My wife is Dominican.

My only concern for doing this is if I have to pay taxes from income derived in the US.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
I have applied for my temporary residency already and plan to become a citizen at some point. My wife is Dominican.

My only concern for doing this is if I have to pay taxes from income derived in the US.

Hey chip! i think if you make more than USD80,000 a year you need to pay U.S taxes eventhough you live outside the U.S. if you make less than that you don't, not sure will have to research a little bit.

Every single Dominican that i know that had become a U.S. citizen, and moved back to the DR, don't pay taxes to the U.S Government.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You do not need to be married to a Dominican to get citizenship. Anyone with Permanent Residence can get DR citizenship.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Only foreiners women married to dominicans are able to get the dominican naturalzation .

T I T U L O III
DERECHOS POLITICOS
SECCION I
DE LA NACIONALIDAD
ART.11.- Son dominicanos:

Todas las personas que nacieren en el territorio de la Rep?blica, con excepci?n de los hijos leg?timos de los extranjeros residentes en el pa?s en representaci?n diplom?tica o los que est?n de tr?nsito en ?l.
Las personas que al presente est?n investidas de esta calidad en virtud de constituciones y leyes anteriores.
Todas las personas nacidas en el extranjero, de padre o madre dominicanos, siempre que, de acuerdo con las leyes del pa?s de su nacimiento, no hubieren adquirido una nacionalidad extra?a; o que, en caso de haberla adquirido, manifestaren, por acto ante un oficial p?blico remitido al Poder Ejecutivo, despu?s de alcanzar la edad de diez y ocho (18) a?os, su voluntad de optar por la nacionalidad dominicana.
Los naturalizados. La ley dispondr? las condiciones y formalidades requeridas para la naturalizaci?n.
P?rrafo I. Se reconoce a los dominicanos la facultad de adquirir una nacionalidad extranjera.
P?rrafo II. La mujer dominicana casada con un extranjero podr? adquirir la nacionalidad de su marido.

P?rrafo III. La mujer extranjera que contrae matrimonio con un dominicano seguir? la condici?n de su marido, a menos que las leyes de su pa?s le permitan conservar su nacionalidad, caso en el cual tendr? la facultad de declarar, en el acta de matrimonio, que declina la nacionalidad dominicana.

P?rrafo IV. La adquisici?n de otra nacionalidad no implica la p?rdida de la nacionalidad dominicana. Sin embargo, los dominicanos que adquieran otra nacionalidad no podr?n optar por la Presidencia o Vicepresidencia de la Rep?blica.

JJ.

Thank you Bachata for the information. I'm wondering though if, let say a male chinese national wants to become a Dominican citizen, will the government provide him with a Naturalization Certificate and he will have to take an Oath in a ceremony?

RGVgal

Bronze
May 26, 2008

Chip,

If you become a Dominican Citizen would you still have to file taxes in the U.S.?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Chip,

If you become a Dominican Citizen would you still have to file taxes in the U.S.?

Yes you do. And if you wish to renounce your US citizenship and just keep the other you cannot. The US has a law that you need to pay tax for 10 years before you can even try and renounce your US citizenship.

RGVgal

Bronze
May 26, 2008
Yes you do. And if you wish to renounce your US citizenship and just keep the other you cannot. The US has a law that you need to pay tax for 10 years before you can even try and renounce your US citizenship.

So, if Chip were to become a Dominican Citizen he has to pay taxes to the U.S. and the DR on the same income? If that's the case, better to just stay a US citizen and only pay taxes to the U.S.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
So, if Chip were to become a Dominican Citizen he has to pay taxes to the U.S. and the DR on the same income? If that's the case, better to just stay a US citizen and only pay taxes to the U.S.

There is an exception for Americans living abroad, Only above a certain amount do you pay tax. As for the DR, unless you are earning a lot or run a business you may not pay anything. Each case is different.

RGVgal

Bronze
May 26, 2008
Yes, I am aware of the exception for americans living abroad. I was just wondering if there was a difference for those that were also Citizens of another country. Thanks for the clarification.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Thank you Bachata for the information. I'm wondering though if, let say a male chinese national wants to become a Dominican citizen, will the government provide him with a Naturalization Certificate and he will have to take an Oath in a ceremony?

I don't know, I'm posting here, some reserch I did on line of the " Dominican constitution " .
What I understand reading this document is that only sons of Dominicans who were born abroad. And foreigners womens married to dominicans should be provides with Dominican naturalization certificate.

JJ.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
Gil,The x owner of Villa Jasmin became a citizen and he has been married to the same canadien women for a long time.