Potential move to POP

Melissa82

Jun 2, 2008
Hello,

I have been offered a teaching job in POP. The salary offered is RD20,000/month. I am hoping some of you can offer me advice on whether it's possible or not to survive in Puerto Plata with this salary. I will need a fully furnished studio or 1bedroom appartment (water, electricity included, preferable internet and cable as well), as well as groceries, and money for transportation to and from work.

I appreciate any info you can give me.

Thanks!

Mel

Melissa82

Jun 2, 2008
thank you for the quick response

So basically, it's not enough...I will not have another source of income unless I find a job for the weekend. I do have money in a bank account, but I was really hoping on being able to pull it off with that salary.

But again, thank you for your input.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
It'll be really tough on that income but if you're young & up for the challenge it could be life altering. You could get a decent enough apartment for around RD$10,000, may not have internet or cable though. Food will cost you an absolute minimum of RD$6000 a month with no alcohol or eating out. You'll have RD$4000 for transportation, health & enjoying yourself. The biggest issue will be nothing to fall back on in an emergency. If you're a born survivor, Spanish speaker with an enormously optimistic outlook on life & a lot of guts & determination it is just (barely) doable. Absent any of these qualities, don't even try. Yes Dominicans live on far less but they have family & support networks. If you don't have family here, you're on your own.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my calculations:
a small apartment (maybe 20sq meters, one bedroom, nice bathroom), main street of a barrio - can only cost 3.000 pesos per month (cable, no internet) - a friend from work is renting one and it is very decent but tiny.
food - will depend on how much you eat and what. for one person - i'd say maybe 5.000 and that is if you cook.
transport - if you are brave enough to use motors - 50 pesos a day just to get to work and back.
20k pesos is livable, c'mon, many live on less than that! but as lambada says - nothing to fall back on, if you get sick you're f***ed big time. oh, yes, school should offer some insurance for workers, anything from 300 pesos a month upwards. still it will not help you to cover all medical bills if you have motoconcho accident.
you can live on this money but make sure you have easy access to your funds from home - just in case of emergency.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Its all about lifestyle. My son is teaching in China making about 900 US per month. The average Chinese factory manager with family makes less and live quite well. My son finds he really has to stretch his dollar because he likes to eat out and is too generous with his friends.
If you can eat has the average Dominican, use an internet cafe, and don't eat out too much I think it's doable, but as Lambada says better have some money sitting in the bank.

oldschlumpf

Jul 16, 2008
Most of my friends are teachers. They are making more or less the same
amount of money as you will. When they struggle they just give private classes or
they offer tutoring. Maybe that would be an option for you as well.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Best Advice for wanna bee Teachers

my calculations:
a small apartment (maybe 20sq meters, one bedroom, nice bathroom), main street of a barrio - can only cost 3.000 pesos per month (cable, no internet) - a friend from work is renting one and it is very decent but tiny.
food - will depend on how much you eat and what. for one person - i'd say maybe 5.000 and that is if you cook.
transport - if you are brave enough to use motors - 50 pesos a day just to get to work and back.
20k pesos is livable, c'mon, many live on less than that! but as lambada says - nothing to fall back on, if you get sick you're f***ed big time. oh, yes, school should offer some insurance for workers, anything from 300 pesos a month upwards. still it will not help you to cover all medical bills if you have motoconcho accident.
you can live on this money but make sure you have easy access to your funds from home - just in case of emergency.

This is great advice, please take it and I would also like to add the simple fact that several women that teach will also become mothers.

it's a fact of life, so factor that into your plans and life long expenses.

There is no 401K in the DR ! and that's a quote !

midnitemed

Dec 7, 2005
If it is a bilingual school, you probably won't have any trouble finding kids to tutor. you can charge up to 300 peso an hour. that would be a big help to you. you should ask the school about tutoring prospects.