school placement in Puerto Plata area

Status
Not open for further replies.

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
Hey Everyone,

I have been reading the dr1 message boards for a while, but this is my first time posting.... I have a couple of questions regarding schools and teaching in and around the Puerto Plata area.... I am completing teachers college this coming year and I am taking a course about educating abroad... with this comes the opportunity to do an international placement... I am hoping with all of my might that I will be able to do this in Dominican Republic, but mostly somewhere on the North Coast close to Puerto Plata... This will only be a 3 week placement from mid March to the beginning of April 2009... I will most likely have to complete my placement in an elementary school, as I am focusing on the younger grades... I am hoping to start my research early so that I can find the best place possible for me. I was wondering if anyone knew of any English speaking or partial English speaking schools that would be a good fit and would appreciate having a volunteer associate teacher for a few weeks...?

Also, this is getting a little bit ahead of myself, but it is my hope that after I finish teachers college, in September 2009, that I can move to Dominican Republic for a year and teach there in a school... If there are no elementary classroom positions available, I would also love to teach English or be an English tutor...I am a single, twenty something female and will have a little bit of financial savings to move, but I will need a salary that will be able to sustain me (rent, utilities, groceries, travel, etc) while I am there... Could anyone offer any advice as to what a minimum monthly salary I would need to survive? I would do my best to keep my expenses to a minimum, but I know that life there would be a big change from what I am used to in Canada.

Thanks for you help! I'm sorry this is a bit wordy... :)

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
This will only be a 3 week placement from mid March to the beginning of April 2009...

That is pretty close to the end of term ahead of the Easter holidays but you could try Achievers International School in Puerto Plata
About Us

or the International School in Sosua, since English is used in both.
International School Sosua - Working Together to Give our Children the Best Education

And use the search function (on blue bar top of DR1 page) to locate threads about schools on north coast or in Puerto Plata because this info has been posted a lot of times. Good luck! :)

midnitemed

Dec 7, 2005
you could try O & M Hostos school in Puerto Plata. It is the biggest bilingual school in Puerto Plata, about 350 students

Status
Not open for further replies.