Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Default GPS Users, take a look!

I have started to notice lots of posts about GPS tracks, lack of maps etc.

Maybe we could create a section on DR1 that allows us to share maps, updated info, latest tracks, basically anything related to GPS and maps.

I'm looking for feedback. What does the section need, what would you like to see?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Make it compatible with Google Earth, so we can visualize what's being discussed...

(still don't own a GPS... had one back in the days, when sailing...)

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it would be nice if the section could be arranged by cities, towns or areas of the country, so to prevent 4-5 pages of random maps, possibly using some form of tabs. Plus have a moderator keeping the section accurate and neat for easy use.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo900 View Post
    I think it would be nice if the section could be arranged by cities, towns or areas of the country, so to prevent 4-5 pages of random maps, possibly using some form of tabs. Plus have a moderator keeping the section accurate and neat for easy use.
    I'm not thinking about a message board section, but rather a section within DR1.
    Yes, we would make sure it's looked after and run right

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

great idea!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Robert,

You will need to standardize which formats they are submitted in. The actual track data is usually specific to the unit but there are several generic track formats can most GPS can use.

I suggest you simply lable the tracks based on where you are going to and coming from. Organizing by towns is not the way to go.

You should also consider waypoints (although you can usually figure that out from Google Earth). They won't give you direction but they will tell you direction and distance. Actually, this is a fun way to find a place.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought it would make sense to bring over your post with the link that you are referring to .....
    Quote Originally Posted by Budson View Post
    You can take google earth data and your tracks of as you travel and build your own basemaps for Garmins using the Trackmaker sw from this site. GPS TrackMaker

I have done most of the DR this way and it works pretty good.

Post Thanks / Like

would make it easy, and by that I mean easy for us "non-techies" to click-copy and post on threads that ask for directions....
    While I still laugh at people talking about Route 1 or 29 or whatever, nobody here in the DR ever does that and I doubt that if you asked 1000 people about what route they are on, five might know it but probably fewer!!
    Everything here is by name or destination, or features (the one that uses the tunnel, for example)

So,, yes, perhaps a GPS I could use would be much appreciated...

HB

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    would make it easy, and by that I mean easy for us "non-techies" to click-copy and post on threads that ask for directions....
    While I still laugh at people talking about Route 1 or 29 or whatever, nobody here in the DR ever does that and I doubt that if you asked 1000 people about what route they are on, five might know it but probably fewer!!
    Everything here is by name or destination, or features (the one that uses the tunnel, for example)

So,, yes, perhaps a GPS I could use would be much appreciated...

HB
    HIllybilly, the one time I met you I took you for a techie...

You are absolutely right about directions. Add to that roads that are not on maps and no roads where the map says it should be and I guess it will be a long time before there will be a basemap of the DR.

If the expectation is a track that is "Santo Domingo to Santiago" or "Jarabacoa to Pico Duarte hike start" then this would work well. Basically, a track is electronic breadcrumbs that you can see your relative position on the GPS with the track superimposed. With enough of a library, you can load multiple tracks and get just about anywhere.

With so many great trip reports, the the track for the associated report could be included in a library and someone could easily follow it or you could upload it to Google Earth and see it superimposed on the satellite images.

If a library is started, I will contribute my trips. Will offset my guilt for not submitting trip reports. I should take a scribe

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

"Originally Posted by Budson
    You can take google earth data and your tracks of as you travel and build your own basemaps for Garmins using the Trackmaker sw from this site. GPS TrackMaker

I have done most of the DR this way and it works pretty good."

Would these maps work with tomtom?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast