GPS Users, take a look!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I have started to notice lots of posts about GPS tracks, lack of maps etc.

Maybe we could create a section on DR1 that allows us to share maps, updated info, latest tracks, basically anything related to GPS and maps.

I'm looking for feedback. What does the section need, what would you like to see?

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Make it compatible with Google Earth, so we can visualize what's being discussed...

(still don't own a GPS... had one back in the days, when sailing...)

Reactions: mike l

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I think it would be nice if the section could be arranged by cities, towns or areas of the country, so to prevent 4-5 pages of random maps, possibly using some form of tabs. Plus have a moderator keeping the section accurate and neat for easy use.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I think it would be nice if the section could be arranged by cities, towns or areas of the country, so to prevent 4-5 pages of random maps, possibly using some form of tabs. Plus have a moderator keeping the section accurate and neat for easy use.

I'm not thinking about a message board section, but rather a section within DR1.
Yes, we would make sure it's looked after and run right :)

Budson

Mar 10, 2004
Robert,

You will need to standardize which formats they are submitted in. The actual track data is usually specific to the unit but there are several generic track formats can most GPS can use.

I suggest you simply lable the tracks based on where you are going to and coming from. Organizing by towns is not the way to go.

You should also consider waypoints (although you can usually figure that out from Google Earth). They won't give you direction but they will tell you direction and distance. Actually, this is a fun way to find a place.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
I thought it would make sense to bring over your post with the link that you are referring to .....
You can take google earth data and your tracks of as you travel and build your own basemaps for Garmins using the Trackmaker sw from this site. GPS TrackMaker

I have done most of the DR this way and it works pretty good.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
would make it easy, and by that I mean easy for us "non-techies" to click-copy and post on threads that ask for directions....
While I still laugh at people talking about Route 1 or 29 or whatever, nobody here in the DR ever does that and I doubt that if you asked 1000 people about what route they are on, five might know it but probably fewer!!
Everything here is by name or destination, or features (the one that uses the tunnel, for example)

So,, yes, perhaps a GPS I could use would be much appreciated...

HB

Budson

Mar 10, 2004
would make it easy, and by that I mean easy for us "non-techies" to click-copy and post on threads that ask for directions....
While I still laugh at people talking about Route 1 or 29 or whatever, nobody here in the DR ever does that and I doubt that if you asked 1000 people about what route they are on, five might know it but probably fewer!!
Everything here is by name or destination, or features (the one that uses the tunnel, for example)

So,, yes, perhaps a GPS I could use would be much appreciated...

HB

HIllybilly, the one time I met you I took you for a techie...

You are absolutely right about directions. Add to that roads that are not on maps and no roads where the map says it should be and I guess it will be a long time before there will be a basemap of the DR.

If the expectation is a track that is "Santo Domingo to Santiago" or "Jarabacoa to Pico Duarte hike start" then this would work well. Basically, a track is electronic breadcrumbs that you can see your relative position on the GPS with the track superimposed. With enough of a library, you can load multiple tracks and get just about anywhere.

With so many great trip reports, the the track for the associated report could be included in a library and someone could easily follow it or you could upload it to Google Earth and see it superimposed on the satellite images.

If a library is started, I will contribute my trips. Will offset my guilt for not submitting trip reports. I should take a scribe :squareeye

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
"Originally Posted by Budson
You can take google earth data and your tracks of as you travel and build your own basemaps for Garmins using the Trackmaker sw from this site. GPS TrackMaker

I have done most of the DR this way and it works pretty good."

Would these maps work with tomtom?

Budson

Mar 10, 2004
"Originally Posted by Budson

I have done most of the DR this way and it works pretty good."

Would these maps work with tomtom?

Tomtom is not listed as one of the devices they support. I am not that familar with the product but I beleive it has an application called TomTom Home that allows you to upload/download data. You may be able to upload tracks up to it.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Great news on this area!!!

GPS maps for the DR are currently in the last stages for the entire country!~!!!!!

A group of the private sector along students of Telematica in the DR is in charge of the creation of the map for the DR.

The current maps (print) in use are seldom complete or accurate enough. The maps will be released via the major GPS makers in the market. Sorry! No out of the loop maps will be available till them...

In the coming months, local biz will start to receive pamphlets with instructions on how to take advantage of having their biz names, tel# and other information available to users of the systems. For a set fee, they can tailor the way their biz will pull more biz via the users of such devices.

The map is extremely well done, as top notch equipment was employed to gather the data at street level. Elevation and other data was collected and verified as well for all the geographical points included.

A marine map is also being done to aid boaters reach and operate with safety and knowledge of the routes and ports in the littoral of the DR.

I was able to listen to the positive comments of two users that tested the ongoing maps, and they are delighted with the results so far.

All public and gov places, including gov offices, airports, etc... Are being tagged with extra data that will update via locally placed transmitters. So you'll get live information on the status of those places. For example, if you get close to the passport office you'll get the operating hours for that precise day and actual data from related issues to that office.

Traffic conditions will be updated as well real time, via the same inclusion of transmitters on the local highways and streets in major cities and points of travel.

There'll be a fee for the services mentioned before, with the exclusion of the ones serving the local gov sites and public places.

When you reach toll roads you'll get a real time price list of the tolls there...

At least one major GPS maker is interested in testing a newer system in the DR when the DR goes live with it. They want to include a wireless phone capability into the GPS device that will allow clients to operate vehicles safely by cutting in the need to operate a cell phone independently of the GPS (blue tooth cells) via voice commands only prompts (no keys to tap on the screen). The system will allow emergency services to locate and communicate with a vehicle that reports an auto accident (think on-star) and also allow services like towing with direct communication to the service providers. The main focus of the makers is to provide added contents to users for a fee. Think Radio, news, sport's info, game results, etc...

We don't know much about how it will work but so far the stuff works in the test runs...

GPS of the DR! Isn't it great and already long overdue?

The projects already underway (Cap Cana, Juan Dolio, etc...) will have their projected streets and roads mapped even as they're not ready yet (a color will be used to denote this in the GPS map showing). Same goes for major highways the gov is working on and other future upgrades.

The SD Metro and SD - Santiago high speed train will show up in the map! Including the Metro lines not built yet!?!<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>

I was told that 3 new international airports to be built (can't name them here yet) also were included in the map.

I'll try and get somebody give me the permission to post screen captures of the map in use to post here. Is not 100% done but it sure looks that way to me...

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Yes long overdue. Its great news, but with all things Dominican, I am sure it will be delayed and delayed again. (Hope I am wrong)

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
this would be great news for tourists like myself who like to adventure. imagine a rental car fully equiped with this service and a voice translator as well. heaven gets better alll the time:)

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
This is fantastic news and long over due. I'll hold off doing anything on DR1 for now.

I need to see it with my own eyes to believe it :)

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Are they looking for people to test? Additional tracks?

I offered my seldom trips to the DR (busy at work in the States and CAN) as to get somebody to "lend" me one of those units used in the tests (more like to keep it), but was denied b/c they have more than enough people and quite a problem with proprietary software being run from the device makers.

There will be an add-on to be able to add new tracks by users, and later allow those same users the benefit of uploading to a certain number of approved testers. Once the tests confirm the tracks accuracy, the person(s) doing the upload will get some benefits of sorts (don't know what they meant by that yet).

I did see the maps in use and even while they are not 100% with all bells and whistles attached, they look and feel magnificent (maybe I'm a little bit too excited as well about it).

Pavan

Jan 18, 2002
Garmin is the most popular GPS used the world over. All waypoints are created and used in a format called WGS84. It is compatible with Google and other mapping programs like Fugawi, etc. The Garmin Mapsource program is the most user friendly, even more so than Lowarance and Macgallen etc.

I have been using GPS since 2000 and have had a few. In fact I will be in Santiago next Wednesday and hope to record some tracks and waypoints.

Just my two cents worth.

Pavan