Santiago is having typhoid fever!

mariaobetsanov

Jan 2, 2002
I know of two person at this date with typhoid fever, tourist should be aware not to eat from street vendors or drink or eat ice which might be made at home by such vendors. Do not eat anything that has been handle and served by employee not wearing gloves.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
:paranoid:

If not cement dust, it'll be typhoid fever. We're all gonna die!!!!!

mariaobetsanov

Jan 2, 2002
I have a very ill father who is stremely ill. there are three other in local hospital. We will all die sooner or later but this can be avoided. The hausefly(moscas) is one of the way its spread. Hand washing is not done on the street. the contaminant is human waste.

In Santiago the health oficials equipment is a pen and a notebook. No wounder our health is a risk here. Have a nice blind leading the blind day!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I have a very ill father who is stremely ill. there are three other in local hospital. We will all die sooner or later but this can be avoided. The hausefly(moscas) is one of the way its spread. Hand washing is not done on the street. the contaminant is human waste.

In Santiago the health oficials equipment is a pen and a notebook. No wounder our health is a risk here. Have a nice blind leading the blind day!

Do you ever have anything good to say about anything?

Talk about doom and gloom in EVERY post!

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Do you ever have anything good to say about anything?

Talk about doom and gloom in EVERY post!

heheh in NBC's show Saturday Night Live in the US, there is a character called
Debbie Downer, only talks of diseases and tragedies, lol

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I have a very ill father who is stremely ill. !
The same situation is here on the North Coast Maria - lots of very ill people being diagnosed as EXstremely ill!! Must be contageous!! :paranoid:

there are three other in local hospital.!
Regrettably our local hospitals have a lot more than three patients in them so Puerto Plata is obviously much worse than Santiago! :tired:

We will all die sooner or later but this can be avoided.!
If you have knowledge of the way that we can avoid dieing sooner or later, please post it here. Alternatively ley me know by PM & I'll cut you in on the royalties we will make selling the information! :cheeky:

The hausefly(moscas) is one of the way its spread.!
I think you mean HOUSEfly. Don't they come around where people have not cleaned up scraps of food etc too? If you are worried about loads of houseflys in your house might I suggest a good clean up session after eating & preparing of meals? :cheeky:

Hand washing is not done on the street.!
How very observant of you. Could this be because the taps don't normally stretch that far & so running water can not be turned on 'In the street'?;)

the contaminant is human waste.
Are you refering to excrement here or just basic food leftovers? If the latter I strongly advise you to have words with the Health & Saftey authorities in Santiago - I find they do sterling work up here in Puerto Plata when told about 'human waste' being carelessly discarded.[/QUOTE]

Might I enquire as to your solutions for this problem Maria - do you HAVE a suggestion or two to make? I did not see your name on the roster when the 'Clean Up Santiago' campaigns were launched two years ago & wonder why this might be? Not your job? No Time? ...:surprised.... The blind only lead the blind when no-one else steps up to the plate & takes control of the problems/situation for themselves. M'thinks you spend far too much time complaining & too little time actually DOING something constructive!

Have a nice "Stick your head in the sand & blame someone else for the country's woes" day :ermm:~ Grahame.

pensador

Jul 12, 2008
Haha! I love it. You guys will try to sweep ANYTHING under the rug.

Admitedly, there most likely isn't a huge need for concern since it is easily controlled with antibiotics, but Typhoid is a serious illness.

Without therapy, the illness may last for 3 to 4 weeks and death rates range between 12% and 30%.
Source:CDC

So who really has their head in the sand (or chooses not to see anything negative lest their precious house value deteriorate)?

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org

So who really has their head in the sand (or chooses not to see anything negative lest their precious house value deteriorate)?
Certainly not ME Sir ......... check my other posts over the years & see what I say about health & safety concerns in the country etc over the last 10 years on DR1! I tend to be fairly up-front about these things.

HOWEVER, you must realise that mariabetsanov is constantly moaning about things & not doing her homework correctly - only THREE typhoid cases in Santiago at this moment? I suspect maybe a few more than that. What would REALLY be interesting would be for maria to tell HOW the cases in Santiago were contracted, WHAT steps SHE has done to explain the problems to the localities where these cases were diagnosed! How SHE is actively involved in taking positive action to try & educate & thereby prevent further chances of outbreaks!

We are ALL EARS to constructive thought processes, we tend to decry those who just come on moaning about things they have done little research (if any) on. Maria (if you check all her posts) tends to fit in to this latter category! ~ Grahame.

Jan 5, 2006
We all realize that a typhoid fever outbreak could be a serious issue, but given that this is coming from the chicken little of DR1, we all take it with a huge grain of salt. ;)

May 12, 2005
this lady is the biggest complainer ever. if one were to just read her posts, you would think santiago is the worst place on earth. get a life lady.

mariaobetsanov

Jan 2, 2002
The case with DR is Santiago has BIG sanitation Issues and those that are in charge of keeping the city clean(and are collecting feeds to do the job.) pretend that when it rains that the sewer system is working. The systems that been replaced are not being enlarge, and no where is there any improvement more necessary than in sewer system the system and health department is build for a smaller population for argument say let say 1/2 Million, and I think I am being generous. Rainwater get into the same system and there is your problem. My house is fully screened I don't have a pest problem, but most citizens don't like to have to maintain these screen. My maid is quite efficient thank you very much. Even if I did not have a maid my household can be maintain by one person staying on top of the work on a daily basis, I am older not mentally or physically handicap..

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
youse are stremely disrespect to mariaallbetsareov

that reely pismiov ;)
<wipes coffer off laptop...>

Thanks, Celt, that was perfectly good Monte Alto Orgainico Cafe I'll never get back...

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com

Admitedly, there most likely isn't a huge need for concern since it is easily controlled with antibiotics, but Typhoid is a serious illness.

Source:CDC

This is a sockpuppet post, ignore it. Next time you post, I'll post your real username.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Is her message not correct, much as you might want to shoot the messanger. During the 60/70s Typhoid was one of the bigger killers in the DR.